Photo

2019 MLB General Talk (Nationals Win WS)

• Please log in to reply
1308 replies to this topic

#1281 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,690 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:58 PM

Anyone else read how they asked Cole to speak to the media after the game and he looks at the Astros staffer and says "Why? I don't work for you anymore."

Eventually he relented and talked a bit, but he did it as "representing himself, and not the team".

@JeremyMStrain

#1282 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,718 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

Anyone else read how they asked Cole to speak to the media after the game and he looks at the Astros staffer and says "Why? I don't work for you anymore."

Eventually he relented and talked a bit, but he did it as "representing himself, and not the team".

Yeah, video on ESPN all day today.  Cole pissed. heat of the moment and whatever.... so maybe you give him some pass, but he came off poorly there. 

#1283 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,690 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

Hinch later said that Cole would have been used to close..

I tend to agree with "Dystopia" above, in that Greinke didn't seem at all to be laboring, and taking him out is more of an "issue" than not bringing in Cole. Also, Harris was a legit MVP candidate earlier in the series, he'd been great all playoffs. 

It happened so fast too, 5 straight batters reached base including the two homers. Much like Ubaldo in 2016, it was boom boom boom.

It's human nature to revise history in your head after an event like this. Look at us with Britton a couple years ago. But it is what it is, and what makes sports great is that, it's in that moment. You don't get to do something, and then go, oh no wait, I should have done this instead, lets have a do-over.

That's why I never got butt hurt over the Britton thing. I understand where other people did, especially when we are such a long suffering team, but there are plenty of other realities where what Buck did worked and we never questioned it. That's just how things go. Everything breaks just right for ONE team every year, and it can't be your team every time...or even most of the time. 1/30 chance...and that's skewed by roster make up and having a realistic shot...some teams have a modifier positive or negative based on structure. I would have given them better than 1/15 odds going into the season, it's a good rotation, but there were a lot of holes and a tragic bullpen that knocks them down a bit too. Other teams like ours are more like 1/1000 cause it would have taken divine intervention with the talent we had.

• SBTarheel and mdrunning like this
@JeremyMStrain

#1284 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,690 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, video on ESPN all day today.  Cole pissed. heat of the moment and whatever.... so maybe you give him some pass, but he came off poorly there. 

Normally I'm all over players for that stuff. Professionalism...you can't get paid that much, be the 1% that make it and still be a prima donna....that's just not ok. BUT I saw it and was like...you know...technically he's right. The way they pay players and do contracts, I'm pretty sure it does go to the completion of the final day of the world series. Which was completed.

Still kinda a dick move, and understand him being upset and angry too, but I was more amused by it than angry.

@JeremyMStrain

#1285 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

It's human nature to revise history in your head after an event like this. Look at us with Britton a couple years ago. But it is what it is, and what makes sports great is that, it's in that moment. You don't get to do something, and then go, oh no wait, I should have done this instead, lets have a do-over.

That's why I never got butt hurt over the Britton thing. I understand where other people did, especially when we are such a long suffering team, but there are plenty of other realities where what Buck did worked and we never questioned it. That's just how things go. Everything breaks just right for ONE team every year, and it can't be your team every time...or even most of the time. 1/30 chance...and that's skewed by roster make up and having a realistic shot...some teams have a modifier positive or negative based on structure. I would have given them better than 1/15 odds going into the season, it's a good rotation, but there were a lot of holes and a tragic bullpen that knocks them down a bit too. Other teams like ours are more like 1/1000 cause it would have taken divine intervention with the talent we had.

GREAT POST. That's said so much better than I ever could. 

It's exactly how I felt then, and still feel now about the "Britton situation". Shit, i still Jeffrey Maier is the most overblown thing ever also. 

• JeremyStrain likes this
@beginthebegin71

#1286 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,718 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Normally I'm all over players for that stuff. Professionalism...you can't get paid that much, be the 1% that make it and still be a prima donna....that's just not ok. BUT I saw it and was like...you know...technically he's right. The way they pay players and do contracts, I'm pretty sure it does go to the completion of the final day of the world series. Which was completed.

Still kinda a dick move, and understand him being upset and angry too, but I was more amused by it than angry.

"I would have liked to have got into the game tonight. I'm disappointed that I did not. I'm disappointed we didn't close things out and win the title.  We've had a lot of team success, I've had a lot of personal success in my time in an Astros uniform.  Thank-you to the Astros organization for bringing me to Houston. Thank-you to the Houston fans for their support during my time here. Thank-you to my teammates, I was proud to play with you." 

IDK. Seems like you could've put those sentences together.  But again, whatever.   

LA, NY... he's getting every dollar somewhere. 

#1287 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

GREAT POST. That's said so much better than I ever could. 

It's exactly how I felt then, and still feel now about the "Britton situation". Shit, i still Jeffrey Maier is the most overblown thing ever also. 

There were a lot of decisions he made that game that worked. I forget if it was Givens who coerced a batter into an inning-ending DP with two runners on, and I'm losing my shit like, "WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT BRITTON IN THERE????"

#1288 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

Also, I have literally no issue with what Cole said, or how he said it. Emotions are raw, and if they don't want those emotions, they wouldn't put a mic in your face.

I still remember Nyjer Morgan going "FUCK YEAH! FUCK YEEEEAH" directly into the microphone after the gw hit when he played for Milwaukee, and people were clutching their pearls about it. I thought it was fantastic.

#1289 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:27 PM

There were a lot of decisions he made that game that worked. I forget if it was Givens who coerced a batter into an inning-ending DP with two runners on, and I'm losing my shit like, "WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT BRITTON IN THERE????"

And it's often forgotten that Duensing got an out before Ubaldo came in. Then it really just happened so fast, there was not much anyone could have done. But i digress.

@beginthebegin71

#1290 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,690 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

"I would have liked to have got into the game tonight. I'm disappointed that I did not. I'm disappointed we didn't close things out and win the title.  We've had a lot of team success, I've had a lot of personal success in my time in an Astros uniform.  Thank-you to the Astros organization for bringing me to Houston. Thank-you to the Houston fans for their support during my time here. Thank-you to my teammates, I was proud to play with you." 

IDK. Seems like you could've put those sentences together.  But again, whatever.   

LA, NY... he's getting every dollar somewhere. 

Yeah I mean a big part of me says for those kinds of contracts, and the pleasure to be a pro athlete, THIS is what you signed on for and have to do. Ultimately you are setting an example for a generation of kids. It's kind of why the curmudgeon-y folks are all upset about the bat carry and pimping HR and stuff. I don't care about that stuff as much, but after a game, being a gracious loser/winner and not being a whiny brat should be a clause in every contract.

I can't tell you how many kids I deal with in that 8-12 age range that have these giant chips on their shoulder and think they know everything because of how some of these pros act, and they think that's what you are supposed to do. How about you just enjoy playing the game, and if you are fortunate enough for everything to break right for you, pay it back and act like you didn't just stand up and will the universe to bend to your awesomeness.

He did have a much better statement today, thanking Houston and the owners and how emotional he was last night and it was a hard loss. So good on him for saying the right things today. I don't even blame him much for not last night...it wasn't as bad as stuff Harper has done. But it was 100% a good bye message too, he's going to get paid $300m by ANA or NY, zero doubts.

I won't spill where, but I got asked in an official capacity doing something recently to opine ONE free agent signing that would have the most impact on a certain team. I went through all the pending FA, and was looking for lower tier, this wasn't for a super high revenue team, thinking I'd show how clever I was and find value out there. In the end I had to say Cole. Even though he's going to be so overpriced and destroy a team's cap situation, his secondary stats, K rates, contact %, all the way down to his ok, but not GREAT GB% were all reasons to sign him better than anyone else I could see out there. DESPITE the money...he looked like he'd still be worth it on say a 6 year contract.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#1291 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,718 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:58 PM

Yeah I mean a big part of me says for those kinds of contracts, and the pleasure to be a pro athlete, THIS is what you signed on for and have to do. Ultimately you are setting an example for a generation of kids. It's kind of why the curmudgeon-y folks are all upset about the bat carry and pimping HR and stuff. I don't care about that stuff as much, but after a game, being a gracious loser/winner and not being a whiny brat should be a clause in every contract.

I can't tell you how many kids I deal with in that 8-12 age range that have these giant chips on their shoulder and think they know everything because of how some of these pros act, and they think that's what you are supposed to do. How about you just enjoy playing the game, and if you are fortunate enough for everything to break right for you, pay it back and act like you didn't just stand up and will the universe to bend to your awesomeness.

He did have a much better statement today, thanking Houston and the owners and how emotional he was last night and it was a hard loss. So good on him for saying the right things today. I don't even blame him much for not last night...it wasn't as bad as stuff Harper has done. But it was 100% a good bye message too, he's going to get paid $300m by ANA or NY, zero doubts.

I won't spill where, but I got asked in an official capacity doing something recently to opine ONE free agent signing that would have the most impact on a certain team. I went through all the pending FA, and was looking for lower tier, this wasn't for a super high revenue team, thinking I'd show how clever I was and find value out there. In the end I had to say Cole. Even though he's going to be so overpriced and destroy a team's cap situation, his secondary stats, K rates, contact %, all the way down to his ok, but not GREAT GB% were all reasons to sign him better than anyone else I could see out there. DESPITE the money...he looked like he'd still be worth it on say a 6 year contract.

Cole is the man.  

Loved him the first time I saw him in Pittsburgh.  Loved the acquisition when Houston got him.

Totally agree with you here.  I'm usually scared at the prospects of a longer-term top of the market deal for anyone, especially pitchers.... but he is just ridiculous and just turned 29.  It reminds of me Scherzer's deal with the Nationals, and he was 2 years older.  That deal scared me too, but it was easy to believe he had multiple ACE level seasons in him.

Not many teams can play in that sandbox, but someone will get multiple Cy level seasons out of Cole, and be able to live with the inevitable fall off on the back end.  

Must be nice.   Hopefully the Dogers and not the Yanks.    Your suggestion of the Angels also seems plausible. 

#1292 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,690 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:07 PM

Cole is the man.  

Loved him the first time I saw him in Pittsburgh.  Loved the acquisition when Houston got him.

Totally agree with you here.  I'm usually scared at the prospects of a longer-term top of the market deal for anyone, especially pitchers.... but he is just ridiculous and just turned 29.  It reminds of me Scherzer's deal with the Nationals, and he was 2 years older.  That deal scared me too, but it was easy to believe he had multiple ACE level seasons in him.

Not many teams can play in that sandbox, but someone will get multiple Cy level seasons out of Cole, and be able to live with the inevitable fall off on the back end.  

Must be nice.   Hopefully the Dogers and not the Yanks.    Your suggestion of the Angels also seems plausible. 

Yeah I think you are starting to see a trend of the elite pitchers hitting FA around 30 give or take, and just coming into their form. It's so scary to offer a pitcher a long term deal after 6 years of MLB pitching and expecting to come out ahead...but the true ace type guys seem to be doing well with their deals. Strasburg, Scherzer, even guys like Sabathia a few years ago...I'd love to dig deeper into the mega-deal guys but just don't have time for that kind of stuff these days.

I think Cole is the next one that people are going to say, man, we should have just opened the vault doors. ANA is in a situation...new manager, and given the pick are thinking contention and not developing. They've got some stars on the offensive side. When that Pujols money comes off the books they will have money to flesh out the team with later. But these pitchers only come along every couple years, and if you need one 2-3 years from now, you'd better get him now. Moreno can spend with the best of them, and I think he's going to say if we don't do it now, we are going to be too far behind in the arms race. Losing Skaggs was a HUGE blow to their rotation, there's not much else there, so they HAVE to go into FA to make up some ground. I don't see 2-3 smaller signings that make the impact that one of Cole does financially.

I think they'll also end up trading one of their up and coming OF for someone's SP prospect. But no idea where a swap like that makes sense around the league while they are still unknowns. I'd say the O's have a few interesting SP guys worth taking a risk on, but OF is probably the ONE area we don't need anyone.

@JeremyMStrain

#1293 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,432 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

Cole is going to the west coast

#1294 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

I've thought Angels for a while..we'll see. 

@beginthebegin71

#1295 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,718 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

That's what's everyone is saying.  Great, hope so.  

He did grow up a Yankees fan.  

#1296 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:48 PM

Wonder how much more of the O’s market the Nats cut into last night. How many fans are jumping ship?
@BSLMikeRandall

#1297 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,432 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

I've thought Angels for a while..we'll see.

They make sense. They need to take advantage of Trout.

#1298 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:38 AM

Nah..it’s an awful decision not to use him.

This happens all the time in the playoffs. Yesterday would have been his normal throw day in between starts.

Unless Hinch still wanted to put Cole into a situation where he had some familiarity. I understand that in a seventh game, it's "all hands on deck," but he likely wanted (and I think he said as much later) he wanted to Cole to start an inning with a lead.

Starters begin with a clean inning all the time, whether they have a lead or not, but they're not accustomed to coming into high-leverage situations not of their own making. Then again, what I've just described above could be a simple case of managerial over-thinking.

• sandiegosean likes this

#1299 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,718 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:03 PM

Gold Glove Winners... 

National League

Pitcher: Zack Greinke, Diamondbacks (6)

Catcher: J.T. Realmuto, Phillies

First Base: Anthony Rizzo, Cubs (3)

Second Base: Kolten Wong, Cardinals

Shortstop: Nick Ahmed, Diamondbacks (2)

Third Base: Nolan Arenado, Rockies (7)

Leftfield: David Peralta, Diamondbacks

Centerfield: Lorenzo Cain, Brewers

Rightfield: Cody Bellinger, Dodgers

American League

Pitcher: Mike Leake, Mariners

Catcher: Roberto Perez, Indians

First Base: Matt Olson, Athletics (2)

Second Base: Yolmer Sanchez, White Sox

Shortstop: Francisco Lindor, Indians (2)

Third Base: Matt Chapman, Athletics (2)

Leftfield: Alex Gordon, Royals (7)

Centerfield: Kevin Kiermaier, Rays (3)

Rightfield: Mookie Betts, Red Sox (4)

#1300 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,718 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

2019 BBWAA AWARDS FINALISTS ANNOUNCED

Winners Will Be Announced November 11 – 14 Exclusively on MLB Network

November 4, 2019 – The Baseball Writers’ Association of America (BBWAA) today announced on MLB Network the three finalists for each of the 2019 BBWAA Awards, representing the American League and the National League for the Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year, Manager of the Year, Cy Young and Most Valuable Player awards. For the eighth consecutive year, MLB Network will exclusively televise the live announcements of the winners of each award during BBWAA Awards Week from November 11-14. The complete list of BBWAA Awards finalists, along with the dates for each announcement, is below:

Monday, November 11, 6:00 p.m. ET:

AL Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year:

• Yordan Álvarez (Houston Astros), Brandon Lowe (Tampa Bay Rays), John Means (Baltimore Orioles)

NL Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year:

• Pete Alonso (New York Mets), Mike Soroka (Atlanta Braves), Fernando Tatís Jr. (San Diego Padres)

Tuesday, November 12, 6:00 p.m. ET:  

AL Manager of the Year:

• Rocco Baldelli (Minnesota Twins), Aaron Boone (New York Yankees), Kevin Cash (Tampa Bay Rays)

NL Manager of the Year:

• Craig Counsell (Milwaukee Brewers), Mike Shildt (St. Louis Cardinals), Brian Snitker (Atlanta Braves)

Wednesday, November 13, 6:00 p.m. ET:

AL Cy Young Award:

• Gerrit Cole (Houston Astros), Charlie Morton (Tampa Bay Rays), Justin Verlander (Houston Astros)

NL Cy Young Award:

• Jacob deGrom (New York Mets), Hyun-Jin Ryu (Los Angeles Dodgers), Max Scherzer (Washington Nationals)

Thursday, November 14, 6:00 p.m. ET:

AL Most Valuable Player:

• Alex Bregman (Houston Astros), Marcus Semien (Oakland Athletics), Mike Trout (Los Angeles Angels)

NL Most Valuable Player:

• Cody Bellinger (Los Angeles Dodgers), Anthony Rendon (Washington Nationals), Christian Yelich (Milwaukee Brewers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners