Photo

2019 MLB General Talk (Nationals Win WS)

• Please log in to reply
1308 replies to this topic

#1261 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:24 AM

I was pulling for the Astros but congrats to the Nats.  What a run - 5-0 during elimination games, with three of those wins against Hader, Kershaw and Verlander.  A GWRBI that hits the foul pole.  A ball that hits the base but hits the top of the base so that it bounces right to their fielder.  They could very well have lost the WC game had the Brewers RF not totally misplayed a ground ball.  I always hate the Team of Destiny narrative, but if ever a team made you think otherwise it might be this Nats team.

And a part me is glad because I get a little tired of the Orioles worrying over the Nationals being good.  Worry about your own house, O's, and the rest will take care of itself.

#1262 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,491 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:48 AM

Happy for Seth, but that's about all. These fans are bandwagon nth. And Soto is a little bitch.

I’ll only disagree that I love Soto, at least until he signs with the Yankees or Red Sox. Happy for him and Scherzer. And Seth, congrats!
  • SBTarheel likes this

#1263 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:15 AM

Josh Hamilton charged with injury to his teenage daughter. F him!

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#1264 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:34 AM

The Astros were 60-21 at home during the regular season. Those home fires didn't burn so brightly in the postseason, however.

It's also interesting to note that Houston was 0-55 this year when trailing after eight innings: 0-48 during the regular season, and 0-7 in the playoffs.

Wow, that's insane.

I think the Orioles won at least one game trailing after eight innings. 

#1265 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:57 AM

Wow, that's insane.

I think the Orioles won at least one game trailing after eight innings. 

No, the Orioles, Angels, and Astros were the only teams not to win when trailing after eight innings.

• russsnyder and mdrunning like this

#1266 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:07 AM

No, the Orioles, Angels, and Astros were the only teams not to win when trailing after eight innings.

That's an interesting group of teams.

Thanks.

#1267 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:41 AM

I'm very happy for Seth (and for my Nats fan friends), but I feel like these fans have a huge potential to be those fans and I'm really not here for it. 

I'm really not. 

• SBTarheel likes this

#1268 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 504 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

I think Hinch pulling Greinke at 80 pitches was worse that Showalter going to Ubaldo.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#1269 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,432 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

I'm very happy for Seth (and for my Nats fan friends), but I feel like these fans have a huge potential to be those fans and I'm really not here for it.

I'm really not.

Well they like to play the “we are DC sports fans, so we are cursed” card a lot.

So yes, this could change that and they become arrogant dbags.

Still, I’m happy for Seth and I’m happy for any fan that has been suffering and gets to experience a title. Except the Red Sox fans...f them.

• SBTarheel likes this

#1270 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,186 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:12 AM

That's the thing, most of the people in their Walgreens hats these past few weeks are actually Red Sox fans anyway.

Maybe 1 in 10 that I've interacted with over this run knows baseball.

But I'm happy for the community. It's amazing being in the middle of it all. My bar was pouring free shots for the entire bar when they won last night.

Definitely very happy for Seth. Dude's a wizard, he really is.
  • SBTarheel likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#1271 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,000 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

Seth buys first round at next BSL Happy Hour?

• SBTarheel likes this

#1272 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

Thanks fellas. Much appreciated.

@beginthebegin71

#1273 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,772 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:26 AM

This talk of bandwagon fans would be true for any team, including the O's. Perhaps it's more pronounced in DC, but otherwise, this is a meh angle to me.

#1274 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,718 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

This talk of bandwagon fans would be true for any team, including the O's. Perhaps it's more pronounced in DC, but otherwise, this is a meh angle to me.

Was definitely true with O's fans in '14.   (Which I liked in a way... was cool seeing a bunch of people excited, interested, that normally wouldn't be.)

#1275 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:34 AM

I think Hinch pulling Greinke at 80 pitches was worse that Showalter going to Ubaldo.

Nah, it was only the top of the 7th.  It's tough to top putting your playoff future in the hands of a terrible pitcher with the top closer sitting on the bench in extra innings on the road.

#1276 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

Was definitely true with O's fans in '14.   (Which I liked in a way... was cool seeing a bunch of people excited, interested, that normally wouldn't be.)

Yes and no.  Bandwagon people booing Strop in the 2012 ALDS wasn't cool.

#1277 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:12 AM

Connolly wrote about Parra's time as an Oriole, in case you want to revisit that idiotic trade and the entire debacle that was the 2014 offseason.

https://theathletic....kakis-decision/

#1278 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:01 PM

No issues with not bringing in Cole on two days rest. If he comes in and doesn't pitch well, Hinch gets roasted for bringing him in on two days rest when there's a bunch of perfectly qualified relievers. Taking out Greinke, however...

• mdrunning likes this

#1279 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,432 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

No issues with not bringing in Cole on two days rest. If he comes in and doesn't pitch well, Hinch gets roasted for bringing him in on two days rest when there's a bunch of perfectly qualified relievers. Taking out Greinke, however...

Nah..it’s an awful decision not to use him.

This happens all the time in the playoffs. Yesterday would have been his normal throw day in between starts.

#1280 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:43 PM

Hinch later said that Cole would have been used to close..

I tend to agree with "Dystopia" above, in that Greinke didn't seem at all to be laboring, and taking him out is more of an "issue" than not bringing in Cole. Also, Harris was a legit MVP candidate earlier in the series, he'd been great all playoffs. 

It happened so fast too, 5 straight batters reached base including the two homers. Much like Ubaldo in 2016, it was boom boom boom.

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners