310 replies to this topic

#301 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,780 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

I wouldn't write the season off just yet. I think it's likely we end up between 7 and 9 wins and don't get in, but the team does enough things well that it could get hot. Key is avoiding the dumpster fires like today and Cleveland. Certainly can't beat half decent teams like Carolina when nothing goes right.

We've seen too much inconsistency to expect that type of strong finish, but I think we've seen too much quality at other times to write off a strong finish as well. If calling them losers who have no hope increases your enjoyment of the season, have at it, but I don't see the point in giving up. It's not baseball where you can sell off and convert aging vets to future prospects. This is gonna be the team. Might as well find out if they can make a run to the playoffs.

#302 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:03 PM

When I see an offense, especially one with tools like the Ravens', that is totally out of sync, utterly ineffective, can't run, can't pass, can't move the chains, can't eat the clock, can't protect the ball, making lame mistakes, you know, what we saw today, I know I'm looking at poor offensive line play. That's where it all starts. The Ravens were decimated by injuries going in. Then Ronnie Stanley gets hurt. I knew it was an exercise in futility. Yes there were screwups all over and the defense did not hold up at all. The INTs were typical of what Flacco does when he's trying to do too much, probably Collins' fumble as well, and also Snead's poor showing. You're just not going to get it going until there's consistent OL play.

• cprenegade likes this

#303 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:07 PM

They need to get healthy and get to their bye. They are hurt, tired and undermanned right now.

Win next week and get to your bye week.

Then let’s see what happens.

Writing anything off right now is moronic.
@BSLRobShields

#304 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:14 PM

A couple of things after today's debacle.....

- I wasn't completely shocked by the effort, or lack of it.  I said earlier in the week it depended on what Ravens team showed up.  These kinds of performances have been a staple of the Harbuagh years since the super bowl, and coincidentally the retirement of Ray Lewis.  Last year Jacksonville, Chicago.  The year before the Jets and the Giants.  Harbaugh talks about stacking wins but that's impossible when you are as inconsistent as the Ravens are as a team.  All too often they throw in games that make it look like they were out to lunch during the week of practice.

- The offensive line is a major problem.  It is preventing the running game from going anywhere and it is allowing too much pressure on Flacco.  Next week doesn't get any easier.  Pittsburgh has quietly done what the Ravens can't do....stack wins together.  In the first meeting they strangely backed off of bringing pressure in favor of dropping into coverage.  I suspect that will change next week, especially if they watch the film from today.

- I shake my head at it, but already the calls for Lamar Jackson are starting.  If you really think this guy is going to be better than Flacco throwing the ball then there isn't much I can say.  I don't see how inserting an inconsistent and inaccurate passer into the offense is going to make it better.  Did anyone see the joke of a pass he threw on third down?  A high school QB could have made a better throw.  One TD in mop up time doesn't change anything.  He needs a lot of work on his passing skills before I could make him a starter.

- It may take 10 wins to get into the playoffs.  The field isn't crowded, but the Chargers only have 2 losses and the Bengals have 3.  The Bengals second half schedule includes two games against the Browns, a home game against the Raiders, and a home game against Denver.  It's not hard to see both the Chargers and Bengals with 10 wins.  And if the Steelers end up only getting to 9 wins they have the benefit of a tie to beat out any 9-7 team.  So it might take 10 wins to make the playoffs.  Given the Ravens second half schedule they really have little room for error.  

#305 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

The injuries on the offensive line are only part of the story, however. All of these pitches and end-arounds are not suited for the personnel the Ravens currently have. Keep it simple, use zone blocking and maybe some some traps or draws. All that misdirection stuff is causing nothing but confusion and fumbles like Alex Collins had today. That's what's hurting the Ravens offensively, although I don't think you can point the finger at any one thing or individual.

On pass plays, the line actually did fairly well. Flacco had some pressure at times (which is going to happen when you're down 20 and the opposition knows you have to throw), but they did a decent job protecting Flacco overall. I think Carolina registered two sacks, which, unfortunately, is two more than the Ravens' mustered against Cam Newton.

#306 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:22 PM

Running game was actually good today. Collins ran well but didn’t get a lot of chances.

Cinci has a lot of injuries right now. Lawson tore his acl today. I’m not willing to give them a nod for anything.

I do think 10 wins is possibly going to be needed. Again, it goes back to the next 2 games. The season is likely determined by what happens against Pitt and Cinci.

Win both and you are in good shape. Lose both and you are done. Win one and your margin for error is zero.
@BSLRobShields

#307 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

The injuries on the offensive line are only part of the story, however. All of these pitches and end-arounds are not suited for the personnel the Ravens currently have. Keep it simple, use zone blocking and maybe some some traps or draws. All that misdirection stuff is causing nothing but confusion and fumbles like Alex Collins had today. That's what's hurting the Ravens offensively, although I don't think you can point the finger at any one thing or individual.

On pass plays, the line actually did fairly well. Flacco had some pressure at times (which is going to happen when you're down 20 and the opposition knows you have to throw), but they did a decent job protecting Flacco overall. I think Carolina registered two sacks, which, unfortunately, is two more than the Ravens' mustered against Cam Newton.

Agreed. When the line is decimated, inexperienced guys playing out of position, you need simple, quick hitting plays. There's no time to let things develop.

#308 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:37 PM

Cincy has the Browns twice and the Raiders.  The Browns are going into their yearly implode and the Raiders look like they have checked out for the season.  Even if the Bengals are sleepwalking they should be able to at least get those 3 wins.  

#309 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:51 PM

Cincy has the Browns twice and the Raiders.  The Browns are going into their yearly implode and the Raiders look like they have checked out for the season.  Even if the Bengals are sleepwalking they should be able to at least get those 3 wins.  

Losing on the road to Cle is definitely possible.
@BSLRobShields

#310 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,976 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:26 AM

This team is what it is since the SB. Mediocre. As long as Harbaugh and Flacco are here we have to hope everything goes our way to go 10-6. Otherwise, 8-8. Harbaugh has become the new Jeff Fisher.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#311 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 October 2018 - 04:35 PM

Harbaugh said he didn't get an explanation from illegal shift call on fake punt. "I've never seen that call in 21 years." Said they told the refs that they had a fake punt on.

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners