49 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

Why we pay much attention to what Roch floats out there is beyond me. Basically he's a PR employee for the Orioles at this point. I've gotten to the point where I change the station when he comes on 105.7 anymore. I just can't listen to him float "something is happening soon" rumors, "the Orioles are happy with whatever" tidbits, and "well they made a real offer for whoever" alibis.

While I'm sure he knows more than he can say on record quite often, he actually does a really nice job of getting what he can out there vs just being a shill for the team. The stuff you are complaining about is general media stuff. You're going to get the canned answers like that, especially from a team that doesn't like to open up about ANYTHING. Be frustrated at the team for not answering anything and not the guy relaying it to us.

@JeremyMStrain

#42 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,966 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:22 PM

People are so wrong about Roch

• JeremyStrain likes this
@BSLRobShields

#43 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:30 PM

Your comments have me circling back to something that was mentioned in another thread. If Brady is going to be here, and have influence that could potentially interfere with the new guys' authority (all 3 eventual hires), then we're back to another situation that ended with DD accepting the GM job.The premium candidates, the top sought after guys, are unlikely to accept the positions. 

Yep can you say Ned Colletti.  He is probably so desperate to get back in the big time he would share an office with Brady if he had to.  Just give him that President title on the door.

#44 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:33 PM

People are so wrong about Roch

Wrong about what???  

#45 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:33 PM

I have come to appreciate Roch this season. His blog and other official MASN reporting just seems like Warehouse PR stuff. But in interviews, he's much more honest about the team. There were a few interviews where he was openly mocking the O's. In and of itself, that isn't the reason for my new found appreciation. But it does show that he isn't a Jim Hunter. I feel like there's Roch the MASN reporter, and then there's Roch the guy who does radio segments on the fan. I prefer the latter Roch. I guess it's because it's just airwaves, and not written words, so there isn't as much of a thumbprint. But he seems to give a more honest appraisal of the team, when it's just conversation. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#46 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:38 PM

Yep can you say Ned Colletti.  He is probably so desperate to get back in the big time he would share an office with Brady if he had to.  Just give him that President title on the door.

Ha, you reminded me of this scene

https://www.youtube....h?v=-5Fs9PRmqBg

#47 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

Ha, you reminded me of this scene

https://www.youtube....h?v=-5Fs9PRmqBg

Classic. 

#48 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

Roch writes a lot about nothing in his soupy style. I wish we had some of the Nats writers.

#49 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,338 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:15 PM

MASN writers are hamstrung by the Os for what they can write. Melewski was even proposing that if the Os didn’t trade Manny it’s be ok. That’s how much they have to suck up to their bosses. So what’s the point of any of their “opinion” pieces. When news breaks, they may be first on it. Otherwise, no point in reading any of MASN’s stuff.
@BSLMikeRandall

#50 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:54 AM

MASN writers are hamstrung by the Os for what they can write. Melewski was even proposing that if the Os didn’t trade Manny it’s be ok. That’s how much they have to suck up to their bosses. So what’s the point of any of their “opinion” pieces. When news breaks, they may be first on it. Otherwise, no point in reading any of MASN’s stuff.

This year, I've seen Roch tweet news that he got from national level reporters, like Rosenthal. That says all anyone needs to know about the O's beat reporters. I find it hard to believe that Rosenthal would get info before Roch and crew. And I don't think they do. Like you, I just think the beat reporters are told what they can/can't report on. 

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners