• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 103,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:53 AM

Said he believes the hire of a President is coming shortly, and that President has informed John and Lou who they want to hire at EVP / GM.

Said Cal has not been contacted.

President will be from outside the organization.

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,555 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:57 AM

The real question is what happens with Brady. 

@BSLRobShields

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 103,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:59 AM

The real question is what happens with Brady.

If you are bringing in a President and a EVP / GM from outside the organization... Brady's voice is neutered even if he is retained.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

That's surprising to me. I was pretty sure Brady would be given the job. Now...will the new guy actually have total authority? Or will be have to battle with Brady? No matter what the owners say right now, I'm waiting to see if it's truly a normal hierarchy, or if the conflict we saw with the former manager and GM just stepped up to a higher rung on the ladder, and will now be a conflict between the Prez and Brady.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,555 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

If you are bringing in a President and a EVP / GM from outside the organization... Brady's voice is neutered even if he is retained.

Not sure I buy that.  He still has the brothers ear.  

• weird-O likes this
@BSLRobShields

#6 weird-O

weird-O

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

Not sure I buy that.  He still has the brothers ear.  

My thought exactly. There's what an Angelos says, and then there's the very different thing an Angelos does. 

#7 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:08 AM

So it sounds like Brady is going to knocked down to 5th on the totem pole? President is a higher title than Brady’s. And if he’s hiring a Exec VP, that’s Brady’s job, and a GM. I assume it goes...

Owner
President
EVP
GM
Brady

Maybe? I know teams have different titles for similar jobs.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 103,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

Not sure I buy that. He still has the brothers ear.

If he is retained he will have some voice (and been signed off on by the new hires).

But how much say could he have if you bring in two hires above him?

And a President isn't joining and not asking about his influence.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 103,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

So it sounds like Brady is going to knocked down to 5th on the totem pole? President is a higher title than Brady’s. And if he’s hiring a Exec VP, that’s Brady’s job, and a GM. I assume it goes...

Owner
President
EVP
GM
Brady

Maybe? I know teams have different titles for similar jobs.

No..EVP / GM was Duquette.

President
EVP / GM
Manager

Maybe Asst. GM (Brady or other) under EVP.

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,555 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

If he is retained he will have some voice (and been signed off on by the new hires).

But how much say could he have if you bring in two hires above him?

And a President isn't joining and not asking about his influence.

Well, if rumors are true, he had a voice over someone above him.

I think its naive to think, person X comes in and Brady all of a sudden goes silent and the brothers don't listen to him.

@BSLRobShields

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 103,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

That's surprising to me. I was pretty sure Brady would be given the job. Now...will the new guy actually have total authority? Or will be have to battle with Brady? No matter what the owners say right now, I'm waiting to see if it's truly a normal hierarchy, or if the conflict we saw with the former manager and GM just stepped up to a higher rung on the ladder, and will now be a conflict between the Prez and Brady.

Differing views internally can be fine if there is a hierarchy on actual decision making.

Maybe Dan and Buck both benefited by differing philosophies.

Issue there was not the opinion differences, but more than one person (below and above) making calls.

Like you said, would have to see how things work out and what change arises (or doesn't).

Get being skeptical. I'm still of the opinion John and Lou should not be held responsible for philosophies of their father.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,555 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:19 AM

Differing views internally can be fine if there is a hierarchy on actual decision making.

Issue there was not the opinion differences, but more than one person (below and above) making calls.

Like you said, would have to see how things work out and what change arises (or doesn't).

Get being skeptical. I'm still of the opinion John and Lou should not be held responsible for philosophies of their father.

Sure...but allowing that trade of the 750K slot bonus money basically negates everything they have said.  Therefore, I don't trust them to be smart and do things the way you should.

@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:19 AM

No..EVP / GM was Duquette.

President
EVP / GM
Manager

Maybe Asst. GM (Brady or other) under EVP.

Brady is currently listed as VP baseball ops. The first post read like EVP and GM are going to be two different people.

This is where job titles get confusing. So it could go President, Brady (VP), EVP, GM... that would be odd.
@BSLMikeRandall

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 103,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

Well, if rumors are true, he had a voice over someone above him.

I think its naive to think, person X comes in and Brady all of a sudden goes silent and the brothers don't listen to him.

Cool.

I'll wait and see what is announced..but doesn't make much sense to me to believe that we on a message board can understand Brady has had influence, and think an external President and a EVP / GM couldn't figure that out.

I mean...if it is John Hart for instance at President and he tells John and Lou I'm going to bring in Mr. X for EVP /GM...and Mr. X will hire Mr. Y for Manager...

and John and Lou say, "Great, you are hired...btw, Brady will stay on in Executive capacity, and will often talk to us directly,"....you dont think Hart will key on that and clarify Bradys role and the overall hierarchy?

That feels like a huge stretch.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 103,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

Brady is currently listed as VP baseball ops. The first post read like EVP and GM are going to be two different people.

This is where job titles get confusing. So it could go President, Brady (VP), EVP, GM... that would be odd.

Again, Duquette was EVP of Baseball Ops. The GM of the Orioles. One and the same.

This would be hiring a President, who would hire Duquette's replacement.

Brady, as you said, has been VP of Baseball Ops. Effectively Asst. GM.

If Brady isn't the President or EVP..and he is retained and stays in baseball ops with the Orioles...logically he would report to both.

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,555 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:31 AM

Cool.

I'll wait and see what is announced..but doesn't make much sense to me to believe that we on a message board can understand Brady has had influence, and think an external President and a EVP / GM couldn't figure that out.

I mean...if it is John Hart for instance at President and he tells John and Lou I'm going to bring in Mr. X for EVP /GM...and Mr. X will hire Mr. Y for Manager...

and John and Lou say, "Great, you are hired...btw, Brady will stay on in Executive capacity, and will often talk to us directly,"....you dont think Hart will key on that and clarify Bradys role and the overall hierarchy?

That feels like a huge stretch.

They can say one thing...doesn't mean they won't act or do something different from what they say.

@BSLRobShields

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 103,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:32 AM

Sure...but allowing that trade of the 750K slot bonus money basically negates everything they have said. Therefore, I don't trust them to be smart and do things the way you should.

That's the huge negative in their column so far. Maybe also the Gausman deal (including O'Day).

They get credit for identifying where they need to change.

They get graded on their results and consistency going forward.

If they have relative quick resolution on these hires, that would be a change. So would having a President.

Then they get graded on the hires.

We will get an idea on how they are doing, but will take sometime to give final grades.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 103,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

They can say one thing...doesn't mean they won't act or do something different from what they say.

Sure..but the bottom line is that if Brady is retained in a position of leadership, and there are two hires above him; those hires have discussed the hierarchy and are comfortable with Brady staying.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but if Brady can stay on in a VP / Asst GM capacity; I think that would be cool. I think he can help in some capacity.

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,555 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:38 AM

Sure..but the bottom line is that if Brady is retained in a position of leadership, and there are two hires above him; those hires have discussed the hierarchy and are comfortable with Brady staying.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but if Brady can stay on in a VP / Asst GM capacity; I think that would be cool. I think he can help in some capacity.

I don't care if Brady stays...assuming he knows his place and the brothers understand that who they bring in are the ones that do what they want and that Brady's input, at the end of the day, is meaningless.  

I don't care who they hire or what is said publicly, they don't deserve any level of a benefit of the doubt and while Brady is there, its very fair to believe his voice will carry more weight than it should given his title and those above him.

@BSLRobShields

#20 weird-O

weird-O

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

Agreed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners