BSLJasonBHirschhorn

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:41 AM

Joe Flacco should remain Ravens starter, but Lamar Jackson’s time approaches:

https://www.baltimor...ime-approaches/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

Jason B. Hirschhorn is an award-winning sports journalist and Pro Football Writers of America member. He has bylines at NFL.com, SB Nation, Sports on Earth, and other outlets. He also serves as the senior reporter and editor for Acme Packing Company, a Green Bay Packers blog. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 113,432 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:48 AM

Jason... can you clarify a bit here...

You say, "In a down AFC, the team has a viable chance to compete for a playoff berth and, perhaps, win a division title for the first time since 2012."

Agreed there.

That is followed by the comment, "It makes sense for the team to pick a favorable matchup for Jackson's debut, and the perfect one comes in Week 11."

Are you saying that if the Ravens find themselves in the playoff hunt in Week 11, they should still be thinking about making the change?

The general perception here in Baltimore is that Flacco will likely start every game of this '18 season, unless they are out of playoff contention.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,397 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:01 AM

Interesting, but IMO, we have seen nothing to suggest Lamar will be anywhere near ready to play by week 11.

The Bengals would scheme to keep him inside the tackle boxes and make him read their zone.   Unless the season is gone, it IMO, is way to premature.

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#4 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:25 AM

Yes, Flacco's 2017 stats sucked overall.  No mention of the fact that he was playing with a back injury for the 1st half of the season.  Or that the Ravens were one of the top scoring offenses in the 2nd half of the season.

Yes, Flacco was efficient against Buffalo at home and mediocre against Cincy on the road.  No mention of the fact that the Ravens defense utterly destroyed Buffalo but gave up 3 straight, 70+ yard TD drives to Cincy in the 1st half to put the Ravens in a hole.  Flacco is not playing in a vacuum.

Yes, Lamar Jackson is the future.  No mention of the fact that his passing game needs major improvement before he's ready to start in the NFL.  Or that a healthy Flacco is the UNQUESTIONED starter as long as the Ravens are still in playoff contention.

• Mike B likes this

#5 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

Yes, Flacco's 2017 stats sucked overall.  No mention of the fact that he was playing with a back injury for the 1st half of the season.  Or that the Ravens were one of the top scoring offenses in the 2nd half of the season.

Yes, Flacco was efficient against Buffalo at home and mediocre against Cincy on the road.  No mention of the fact that the Ravens defense utterly destroyed Buffalo but gave up 3 straight, 70+ yard TD drives to Cincy in the 1st half to put the Ravens in a hole.  Flacco is not playing in a vacuum.

Yes, Lamar Jackson is the future.  No mention of the fact that his passing game needs major improvement before he's ready to start in the NFL.  Or that a healthy Flacco is the UNQUESTIONED starter as long as the Ravens are still in playoff contention.

Weird to see national media acting like Flacco was really bad in the Cincy game. I didn't get that impression at all. A few failed drives in the first half and an admittedly bad interception, but the Bengals were keeping the ball forever and dominating the offensive line the entire game.

He threw for almost 400 and a couple of TDs when all was said and done.

It wasn't a great performance or anything but the Ravens of the past few years would have never been able to mount that 2nd half comeback.

• Mike B likes this

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#6 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, it was an inconsistent outing from Flacco, but he made some big plays to keep them in it especially considering they cant run the ball at all.

@gabefergy

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

Weird to see national media acting like Flacco was really bad in the Cincy game. I didn't get that impression at all. A few failed drives in the first half and an admittedly bad interception, but the Bengals were keeping the ball forever and dominating the offensive line the entire game.

He threw for almost 400 and a couple of TDs when all was said and done.

It wasn't a great performance or anything but the Ravens of the past few years would have never been able to mount that 2nd half comeback.

He also threw a couple of picks and it's easy to throw for 400 yards when you're throwing 55 passes. Just sayin'. I wouldn't say he was really bad, just the typical Flacco we've seen his entire career.

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:34 PM

He was bad. Hes lucky he wasnt picked off 2 more times. Plus he was flat out inaccurate

#9 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:43 PM

Has there been a guy more polarizing to a franchise, both in the long-term view and from game to game, in the last 10 years than Joe Flacco? 

I mean in many ways he brings it on himself, so I'm not making some grand point here. It's just fascinating how lightning rod he is. Or is it a Baltimore thing, if we had Rivers or Stafford here would they be just as controversial? 

He was definitely inconsistent last start and had a couple really terrible throws. But the Bengals were rushing 4, dropping 7 and still getting pressure. Any QB is gonna struggle under those conditions. I thought he did make some good throws and reads though. But also, made some really terrible ones too. On the INT, Brown was running open on a deep skinny post wide open, I thought. 

• ravens82 likes this

#10 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:28 PM

If you want to hate on Flacco, you will find reasons to hate on him. He made some bad throws, the first INT was atrocious. The 2nd Int, he was hit as he threw it, so it's kinda his fault but the result is not really on him.

He also suffered from several dropped passes, Crabtree had a couple and I think Boyle had a couple as well...plus Brown had one that should have been a TD.

@gabefergy

#11 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

Has there been a guy more polarizing to a franchise, both in the long-term view and from game to game, in the last 10 years than Joe Flacco? 

I mean in many ways he brings it on himself, so I'm not making some grand point here. It's just fascinating how lightning rod he is. Or is it a Baltimore thing, if we had Rivers or Stafford here would they be just as controversial? 

He was definitely inconsistent last start and had a couple really terrible throws. But the Bengals were rushing 4, dropping 7 and still getting pressure. Any QB is gonna struggle under those conditions. I thought he did make some good throws and reads though. But also, made some really terrible ones too. On the INT, Brown was running open on a deep skinny post wide open, I thought. 

I get that Flacco has been too inconsistent to earn the benefit of the doubt from a lot of folks.  Earlier in his career he was bolstered by an amazing defense.  But most of the stars of that defense left or retired and subsequently, Flacco dealt with major injuries.  As a result, the Ravens haven't won 11 games in a season since 2011.

Flacco is a slightly above-average starting QB in the NFL that has been able to elevate his play in big games.  The Ravens have won 10 games and made the playoffs twice in the last 6 seasons -- both times, Flacco has stepped up.  In 2012, we all know what happened -- Flacco went on a tear through the playoffs and led the Ravens to a Super Bowl win.  In 2014, Flacco led the team to the Divisional Playoff vs NE where he played well, but the defense failed to hold 14 point leads.  Twice.

Flacco is not a future HoFer.  But if the Ravens can claw their way to the playoffs, I feel good about our chances at another run with him at the helm.  If guys like Eli Manning and freakin' Jim Plunkett have two SB rings, why not Joe?

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,721 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:29 PM

Part of the reason he is polarizing is because people are morons and don’t understand the position.

He has faults and he’s not elite but he’s fine.
@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,721 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:30 PM

I challenge you to watch a game where a QB doesn’t throw multiple passes that could/should be picked off.

Again, people just don’t watch and/or know the game. They focus on their team and their players and have
no comprehension of what everyone else is doing.
@BSLRobShields

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:49 PM

I get that Flacco has been too inconsistent to earn the benefit of the doubt from a lot of folks. Earlier in his career he was bolstered by an amazing defense. But most of the stars of that defense left or retired and subsequently, Flacco dealt with major injuries. As a result, the Ravens haven't won 11 games in a season since 2011.

Flacco is a slightly above-average starting QB in the NFL that has been able to elevate his play in big games. The Ravens have won 10 games and made the playoffs twice in the last 6 seasons -- both times, Flacco has stepped up. In 2012, we all know what happened -- Flacco went on a tear through the playoffs and led the Ravens to a Super Bowl win. In 2014, Flacco led the team to the Divisional Playoff vs NE where he played well, but the defense failed to hold 14 point leads. Twice.

Flacco is not a future HoFer. But if the Ravens can claw their way to the playoffs, I feel good about our chances at another run with him at the helm. If guys like Eli Manning and freakin' Jim Plunkett have two SB rings, why not Joe?

Hes not above average anymore. Hasnt even been average.

#15 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:12 PM

Hes not above average anymore. Hasnt even been average.

It's possible that he isn't, too early to tell with a Thursday road game what he is right now. But he certainly has been below average the last 3 years. 

#16 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:42 PM

It's possible that he isn't, too early to tell with a Thursday road game what he is right now. But he certainly has been below average the last 3 years. 

It's a prove it year for him.  He's healthy and has weapons.  Has to lead the team to the playoffs.

#17 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,534 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:54 PM

This is the last season for Flacco in Baltimore barring a AFCCG appearance. Enjoy it while it lasts folks.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#18 mdrunning

mdrunning

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:38 PM

Part of the reason he is polarizing is because people are morons and don’t understand the position.

He has faults and he’s not elite but he’s fine.

No, it's all because of the contract. 

I personally don't find Flacco polarizing; to me, he's simply a somewhat ordinary performer who got hot one postseason and cashed in. 

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,721 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:18 AM

No, it's all because of the contract.

I personally don't find Flacco polarizing; to me, he's simply a somewhat ordinary performer who got hot one postseason and cashed in.

But that dumbass contract is handed out all over the league.

The NFL owners haven’t figured out that you can’t pay average QBs elite money.

There are only a few guys who deserve that.
@BSLRobShields

#20 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:34 AM

This is the last season for Flacco in Baltimore barring a AFCCG appearance. Enjoy it while it lasts folks.

I think a playoff win is enough for Flacco to remain the QB in Baltimore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners