#3 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:27 PM

Brady Anderson – Head guru in charge of player fitness and nutrition. And occasional tinkering with anything from batting stance to deliveries for pitchers.

Luis Ortiz come on down!

#4 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:48 PM

He looks like he could get in better shape. 

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,261 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:13 PM

Needs a couple of those Rafael Palmiero/ Miguel Tejada “B12” injections.

#6 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,808 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:55 AM

Pulled hammy. Losing a few LBS would help.

#7 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:16 AM

I want to get in better shape, too.

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:48 AM

Getting in better shape is great. But it only enhances your talent. When you don't have MLB talent you don't have it.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,081 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:25 AM

Ortiz was a first round pick and top 75 guy multiple years before having a down year in '17. He's got talent. Doesn't mean he'll make it, some obvious red flags, but he isn't the same type of long shot as David Hess or Yefry Ramirez
  • DJ MC and Il BuonO like this

#10 mdrunning

mdrunning
  • Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:13 AM

There's something to be said, however, for fat pitchers. They seem impervious to injuries which plague other players, particularly muscle pulls. As the late Rod Beck once observed, "You can't pull fat."

A lot of them probably couldn't have run a lap around their cars without getting winded, but in between trips to the clubhouse buffet, they took the ball when they were expected to. CC Sabathia and the ageless Bartolo Colon are probably the best contemporary examples, but they've been proceeded by the likes of Rick Reuschel, David Wells, Mickey Lolich and Fernando Valenzuela, all of whom carried a few, ah, extra pounds during their careers.

Hell, Babe Ruth--who, as we know, started as a pitcher--was as well known for his excesses off the field as he was for anything he did on the field. And even the gold standard for pitchers--ol' Denton True himself--sported something of a paunch as he approached the latter stages of his career. 

#11 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,185 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:53 AM

But didn’t he just pull his hammy?

Getting in a little better shape couldn’t hurt. Doesn’t have to lose 50 pounds or anything.
  • russsnyder likes this
@PhelanToTweet

Host of Phelan to Communicate - a podcast about Movies, TV, Video Games, and MMA

#12 russsnyder

russsnyder

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

But didn’t he just pull his hammy?

Getting in a little better shape couldn’t hurt. Doesn’t have to lose 50 pounds or anything.

I agree.

He's young enough to address his conditioning. Further, it's a good thing that he wants to address it.

It's telling that he hurt himself running to cover first base. That was a routine play.

#13 Crouseman

Crouseman

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:35 PM

I agree.

He's young enough to address his conditioning. Further, it's a good thing that he wants to address it.

It's telling that he hurt himself running to cover first base. That was a routine play.

Yeah he needs to drop at least 20. Bordering on being an embarrassment out there. When you can't field your position because you are too damn fat and pull a hammy just running to cover first, its time to call Jenny Craig. This guy has bust written all over him. He has been talking about losing wait for a couple years now and he just keeps getting fatter. Zero discipline.

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,099 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:21 PM

Yeah he needs to drop at least 20. Bordering on being an embarrassment out there. When you can't field your position because you are too damn fat and pull a hammy just running to cover first, its time to call Jenny Craig. This guy has bust written all over him. He has been talking about losing wait for a couple years now and he just keeps getting fatter. Zero discipline.

Yeah. Clearly it's been harming him so much over the past few years.
@DJ_McCann

#15 Crouseman

Crouseman

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:27 AM

Yeah. Clearly it's been harming him so much over the past few years.

You can get away with it in the minors being out of shape.  He is 23 and can't keep it down. What's he going to be at 28??  300 pounder if he doesn't do something pretty dramatic now.  Got shelled both times out in the bigs.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 102,206 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:32 AM

You can get away with it in the minors being out of shape.  He is 23 and can't keep it down. What's he going to be at 28??  300 pounder if he doesn't do something pretty dramatic now.  Got shelled both times out in the bigs.

He's got 2.1 innings in the Majors.  Let's not make anything of that.

If he doesn't control his weight going forward, that's an issue.  Right now, he says he wants to work on it. Let's see what shape he shows up in at Spring Training next year.

Colon and Sabathia have been successful as heavier guys..... but obviously those are extremes.

All we can do is wait and see a bit. Where he is next Feb. should be telling.

#17 Crouseman

Crouseman

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:43 AM

He's got 2.1 innings in the Majors.  Let's not make anything of that.

If he doesn't control his weight going forward, that's an issue.  Right now, he says he wants to work on it. Let's see what shape he shows up in at Spring Training next year.

Colon and Sabathia have been successful as heavier guys..... but obviously those are extremes.

All we can do is wait and see a bit. Where he is next Feb. should be telling.

Well he hurt himself in the bigs already because he is too fat.  That's something.  Ortiz looks way worse to me than either Colon and Sabathia.  Agree spring training will next benchmark.  Getting hurt was probably the best thing that happened.  Maybe a wake up call.

• russsnyder likes this

#18 russsnyder

russsnyder

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:29 AM

Well he hurt himself in the bigs already because he is too fat.  That's something.  Ortiz looks way worse to me than either Colon and Sabathia.  Agree spring training will next benchmark.  Getting hurt was probably the best thing that happened.  Maybe a wake up call.

Right.

He also said that he pulled the hamstring earlier this season in the minors.

I don't think that Colon ( Who has been suspended for PEDs) or Sabathia are good comps for Ortiz.

Both Colon and Sabathia were always on the heavy side, but they have gotten larger as they have gotten older.

Ortiz is only 22 and I believe that this is something that he needs to get under control sooner than later.

He looked bad in a baseball uniform and he needs to get into better shape if he wants to stick around in the bigs.

His stuff doesn't look bad to me, but is too young to be that heavy IMO.

#19 Crouseman

Crouseman

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:23 PM

Right.

He also said that he pulled the hamstring earlier this season in the minors.

I don't think that Colon ( Who has been suspended for PEDs) or Sabathia are good comps for Ortiz.

Both Colon and Sabathia were always on the heavy side, but they have gotten larger as they have gotten older.

Ortiz is only 22 and I believe that this is something that he needs to get under control sooner than later.

He looked bad in a baseball uniform and he needs to get into better shape if he wants to stick around in the bigs.

His stuff doesn't look bad to me, but is too young to be that heavy IMO.

Yep his stuff looks good and he supposedly has good endurance on the mound.  But geez that 42 inch plus waist line is just terrible for a 22-23 year old kid. Only going to get bigger as he gets older.   He is carrying around a 30 pound beach ball which is now impacting his ability to stay healthy.  Plus he can't field his position.  Dropping 20-30 pounds would help him overall in my opinion.  Send him to Brady's place over the winter.  Guys really seem to buy into whatever he is doing out there.

• russsnyder likes this

#20 russsnyder

russsnyder

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:02 PM

Yep his stuff looks good and he supposedly has good endurance on the mound. But geez that 42 inch plus waist line is just terrible for a 22-23 year old kid. Only going to get bigger as he gets older. He is carrying around a 30 pound beach ball which is now impacting his ability to stay healthy. Plus he can't field his position. Dropping 20-30 pounds would help him overall in my opinion. Send him to Brady's place over the winter. Guys really seem to buy into whatever he is doing out there.

Brady does seem to do well with conditioning and diet. I really think this kid would be doing himself a big favor if he commits to getting and staying into shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners