#41 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:06 PM

He's pretty clearly openly complained about management's acquisitions and/or lack thereof at various times. My recollection is hes received private consultation with the FO/management about it. That's at least, a bit unusual. 

I don't think it is? If, say, Dustin Pedroia or Adrian Beltre was put in the same position, I wouldn't consider that odd at all. 

As forthright as he is, that would be incredibly odd if he wasn't critical. 

#42 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

I don't think it is? If, say, Dustin Pedroia or Adrian Beltre was put in the same position, I wouldn't consider that odd at all.

As forthright as he is, that would be incredibly odd if he wasn't critical.

I can't think of any recent example of an Oriole player openly criticizing the organization and gaining FO/Management meetings as a result of that. Maybe Cal had that type of influence, I don't know. I'm no Cal fan.

Most everybody considered Jones "intervention's" as positive because they view the FO/management as idiots. I know I questioned them, but I honestly doubt he (unlike Buck) actually influenced much of anything. More that he though he had enough influence and status to be in the loop on this stuff and they accommodated him. Doesn't seem odd to me at all that some would question that. I'd have framed the issue a bit differently than it was. In any event. it is/was unusual.

#43 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:49 PM

I can't think of any recent example of an Oriole player openly criticizing the organization and gaining FO/Management meetings as a result of that. Maybe Cal had that type of influence, I don't know. I'm no Cal fan.

Most everybody considered Jones "intervention's" as positive because they view the FO/management as idiots. I know I questioned them, but I honestly doubt he actually influenced much of anything. More that he though he had enough influence and status to be in the loop on this stuff and they accommodated him. Doesn't seem odd to me at all that some would question that. I'd have framed the issue a bit differently than it was. In any event. it is/was unusual.

I don't think anyone since Cal has had the ability/earned the right to do so. I mean, Brian Roberts, maybe? Jeremy Guthrie? Adam was probably the first player since Cal to even earn that right.

Re: interventions, it's not ONLY because the FO has been largely bumbling; I think Adam has rightfully earned the benefit of the doubt, as a player that has a long track record of success and a long track record of being a team/league ambassador. While I absolutely understand questioning his "being in the loop," I have always thought that long-time players in every league have had that right. Like, if the Ravens said that they talked to Suggs prior to a large defensive acquisition, I wouldn't find that weird at all (well, the Ravens talked to Ray when talking about signing Kap which was weird in and of itself, but that's neither here nor there).

Also, the framing of the issue smacks of a bad faith argument, but I'm assuming you all see that and that's why we're kinda sliding that off to the side. The rest I absolutely get.

#44 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,306 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

I think AJ has matured greatly over the years. Anyone that’s been here a while knows I was a harsh critic of his outspokenness. He seemed like for a short period of time he would say things for the sake of getting attention. Going to ownership and tweeting about it seemed like going over people’s heads.

But he has done so much good, and has the attention of ownership, they value his opinion, hes outspoken when he needs to be and not just for the sake of doing it. I’ve gained a lot more respect for him.

Mentioned in another thread I’m intrigued by his choice to enforce his NTC, 10-5... Maybe he likes where the Os are heading and wants to be a part of it. Most other players would want to chase a title for 2 months I would think.
@BSLMikeRandall

#45 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

So were you mad at the time AJ said he was tired of losing and wanted to be a part of a winning team and wanted to see Andy’s plan? Or were you mad that he spoke up about racism in Fenway and how he was treated by fans? Or how about when he spoke up about inner city kids and the ability to play baseball? Were you mad when he was spoke up about where he wanted to line up in the outfield? Only you should be afforded the ability to say your opinions wherever and whenever you want. They are just ball players right shut and play ball....

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#46 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

I think AJ has matured greatly over the years. Anyone that’s been here a while knows I was a harsh critic of his outspokenness. He seemed like for a short period of time he would say things for the sake of getting attention. Going to ownership and tweeting about it seemed like going over people’s heads.
But he has done so much good, and has the attention of ownership, they value his opinion, hes outspoken when he needs to be and not just for the sake of doing it. I’ve gained a lot more respect for him.
Mentioned in another thread I’m intrigued by his choice to enforce his NTC, 10-5... Maybe he likes where the Os are heading and wants to be a part of it. Most other players would want to chase a title for 2 months I would think.

I know you meant this as a positive but think about his out “spokenness”. You are a part time writer who gives his opinions on Baltimore sports that does not want players giving theirs. WTF.....

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#47 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

OK. Maybe Adam Jones Class Act 3 will work out. 

• weird-O likes this

#48 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,306 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

I know you meant this as a positive but think about his out “spokenness”. You are a part time writer who gives his opinions on Baltimore sports that does not want players giving theirs. WTF.....

On two specific occasions, no, I didn't like when he would respond to criticisms when he didn't hustle out a ball, or drop an easy fly ball by saying "thats why ya'll sit behind a desk for a living and I'm where I am".  When the people that sit behind a desk for a living cherish him.

I didn't think it was necessary when asked a simple question about a series starting the next day in Boston to bring up the marathon bombings that were over a year ago. Something like "it's shame what happened up here but we got a ball game to play and were not gonna feel sorry about anything." 

He'd tweet something like "I'm gonna have a talk with Pete after this." after a rough night or something. Um...that is Mr. Angelos, your boss. Not "Pete". Have a little respect. 

Those are from his immature days though, like I said.  

I have no problem with players voicing their opinion on the other topics you mentioned in your straw-man statement. So there you have it. The only three examples of things I didn't care for him saying, ever. Just so there isn't any confusion. The other 1,000 things he's said here, I could not care less about. 

• CA-ORIOLE likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#49 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,112 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:12 PM

OK. Maybe Adam Jones Class Act 3 will work out.

Lol. Or we will swing and miss at a slider in the dirt.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#50 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:16 PM

End of an Era!!!! Embrace Change!!!!

#51 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,738 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

End of an Era!!!! Embrace Change!!!!

Says our new RFer.

@BSLRobShields

#52 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:34 PM

Time to cut bait. He's not and shouldn't be part of the long term future here. He's just going to be blocking prospects going forward.

#53 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,112 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:39 PM

Time to cut bait. He's not and shouldn't be part of the long term future here. He's just going to be blocking prospects going forward.

He’s only here another month and a half

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#54 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

I think Adam probably ends up winning the Most Valuable Oriole award this year, although I suppose Mancini has a chance if he stays hot.

#55 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

Adam Jones's house:

https://www.realtor....5-50242#photo30

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,311 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

That "bookcase" wallpaper is gonna have to go.

• Nigel Tufnel likes this

#57 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

That "bookcase" wallpaper is gonna have to go.

Lol, I thought the exact same thing.  Just get some real books!

#58 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

I'd be very interested to know what he's got in those decanters in his study. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#59 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

Adam's Ravens tailgate raises $125,000 for Baltimore charities.

What a GREAT day raising over 125 THOUSAND BUCKS (Thanks Mr. Showalter for your memories too) Adam and Audi Jones and family #StayHungry #PurpleTailgate for the #BoysAndGirlsClub and #LivingClassrooms @SimplyAJ10 @LOCASHmusic @BMOREAroundTown @WPOC

#60 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

I heard AJ got a standing ovation at the game. Nice

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners