#21 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

While I was not happy with him for turning down the trade, there isn't any question he has been a great Oriole both on the field and in the community.

Thanks, Adam!

#22 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:23 AM

His sit downs with PGA and his sometimes wining to the media.

Yes, we know he has meetings with the owner. I'm asking what you don't like about his MO. What is his MO, and what don't you like about it?

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#23 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

Not in terms of talent, but in terms of interaction with the community, the Orioles and Ravens REALLY lucked out with Adam Jones and Torrey Smith. Two of the all-time best. 

• BSLBobPhelan and Mackus like this

#24 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

But nah I wanna hear more about Adam's MO. 

*sits down*

*listens*

• weird-O likes this

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,178 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:33 PM

I always said the same thing about Adam and Ray Rice.  Well, not always...I used to.  I might cry if Adam ever had something like that occur.

It's been an absolute joy to get to root for him for so many years.

#26 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:36 PM

Yes, we know he has meetings with the owner. I'm asking what you don't like about his MO. What is his MO, and what don't you like about it?

He acts like defacto GM in the past. Crying to the media what our needs are personnel wise.

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,178 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

That's a really bad opinion, IMO. I don't agree with the characterization of how he has acted, first off, but even ignoring that part of it, it's pretty far out there. To think that the few times he has met with ownership and/or talked to the media about what direction he'd like to see the team go is such a negative that its even worth bringing up in a discussion about all the many great things he's done for the team and city...I just don't get it. It's like talking about some double play that Mike Trout hit into in May during a discussion about his MVP credentials.

To each their own, I suppose.

#28 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:52 PM

That's a really bad opinion, IMO. I don't agree with the characterization of how he has acted, first off, but even ignoring that part of it, it's pretty far out there. To think that the few times he has met with ownership and/or talked to the media about what direction he'd like to see the team go is such a negative that its even worth bringing up in a discussion about all the many great things he's done for the team and city...I just don't get it. It's like talking about some double play that Mike Trout hit into in May during a discussion about his MVP credentials.
To each their own, I suppose.

Your entitled to your opinion. Because he does great things charity wise, doesn't give him carte Blanche in organizational decision making. He's run his mouth off too many times in the past for my liking to the point where it's annoying and counter-productive. If Adam is so enamored in helping the Orioles, why didn't he take the two hour trip north? Bottom line Adam shut up and play the game and let management figure out what needs to be done.

#29 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

"Shut up and dribble"

• The Epic and Mashed Potatoes like this

#30 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

Your entitled to your opinion. Because he does great things charity wise, doesn't give him carte Blanche in organizational decision making. He's run his mouth off too many times in the past for my liking to the point where it's annoying and counter-productive. If Adam is so enamored in helping the Orioles, why didn't he take the two hour trip north? Bottom line Adam shut up and play the game and let management figure out what needs to be done.

OOOOOOH SPICY!!!!!

#31 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

"Shut up and dribble"

2744293-3091555203-47059.jpg

• The Epic likes this

#32 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

*pulls Ricker into the thread, doing the "LeBron to JR Smith" arms*

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

Pfft. You can get from Baltimore to Philly in an 1hr and a half. Maybe evem 1 hour and 20 min if you have a lead foot

#34 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,237 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:00 PM

*pulls Ricker into the thread, doing the "LeBron to JR Smith" arms*

I'm not touching this. Jesus H man.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#35 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:01 PM

Pfft. You can get from Baltimore to Philly in an 1hr and a half. Maybe evem 1 hour and 20 min if you have a lead foot

He's totally got access to a private jet. 45 minutes tops.

#36 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:07 PM

Has Adam actually ever "run his mouth off?"  I'm seriously asking, because I can't remember an example, ever, unless you mean telling reporters last week why he didn't approve a trade.

#37 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:23 PM

If you don't like AJ's forthright manner, no problem. You're not alone in that. This isn't the first time I've heard someone say that AJ should shut up. So let's just move that to the side. 

Now for the confusing part of your post. Where has anyone ever written or reported on AJ being the defacto GM? Either I missed it, or (respectfully) I don't think you understand the term defacto. He's not a decision maker for the team. I believe what you're referring to, are his comments that came on the heels of the news that Nick signed with Atl. What he said was, as a player with a vested interest in the Orioles, he thought some players (see: veteran) should be in the loop about significant changes the team plans to make. He didn't say the veteran players should be involved with those decision, or have any input, beyond sharing their opinion in a private meeting. 

With that said, i'm curious. How were those comments, or any others that you'd like to touch on, counter productive?

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#38 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:22 PM

If you don't like AJ's forthright manner, no problem. You're not alone in that. This isn't the first time I've heard someone say that AJ should shut up. So let's just move that to the side. 

Now for the confusing part of your post. Where has anyone ever written or reported on AJ being the defacto GM? Either I missed it, or (respectfully) I don't think you understand the term defacto. He's not a decision maker for the team. I believe what you're referring to, are his comments that came on the heels of the news that Nick signed with Atl. What he said was, as a player with a vested interest in the Orioles, he thought some players (see: veteran) should be in the loop about significant changes the team plans to make. He didn't say the veteran players should be involved with those decision, or have any input, beyond sharing their opinion in a private meeting. 

With that said, i'm curious. How were those comments, or any others that you'd like to touch on, counter productive?

Considering they've never replaced Nick with a legit right-fielder, maybe AJ should've been in on the decision making.

• The Epic likes this

#39 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:52 PM

Has Adam actually ever "run his mouth off?"  I'm seriously asking, because I can't remember an example, ever, unless you mean telling reporters last week why he didn't approve a trade.

White men don't like it when black men speak their mind, regardless of the manner in which they do it. Stay in your place amiright?!?!?

• The Epic likes this
@DaKittenz

#40 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:53 PM

He's pretty clearly openly complained about management's acquisitions and/or lack thereof at various times. My recollection is hes received private consultation with the FO/management about it. That's at least, a bit unusual. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners