60 replies to this topic

#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:42 PM

Frankly, I don't care that Jones vetoed a trade. I don't care that he is open with his opinions. He has been a damned good Oriole, personifies what we would like our athletes to be in the community, and I hope he finds a place with the organization after he retires.

Forget his WAR. His CAR (class above replacement) is off the charts.

http://www.espn.com/...eague-team-trip
  • BSLChrisStoner, The Epic, Dr. FLK and 9 others like this

#2 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,483 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

Exactly right...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,745 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

He rarely says or does the wrong thing.

More athletes do great things than gets discussed. It’s good that this is on ESPN.com as one of their lead stories. I know these guys don’t do this stuff for attention but with all the garbage we hear about everyday, it’s important to put the good stories out there too.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Ricker Says and fishteacher like this
@BSLRobShields

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,340 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:19 PM

He rarely says or does the wrong thing.

More athletes do great things than gets discussed. It’s good that this is on ESPN.com as one of their lead stories. I know these guys don’t do this stuff for attention but with all the garbage we hear about everyday, it’s important to put the good stores out there too.

Absolutely.

And there are the countless other stories / examples of things he (and others) have done which never get any attention.

He really committed to this area, and doing what he could to be a positive contributor.   How can you not love / respect that?

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,745 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

Absolutely.

And there are the countless other stories / examples of things he (and others) have done which never get any attention.

He really committed to this area, and doing what he could to be a positive contributor. How can you not love / respect that?

I love the quote where he was talking about them being the future and needing to help them.

I don’t know what other black players do to make sure inner city black youths participate in the game and things like that but it’s very important they do that. Jones just gets that.
@BSLRobShields

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,340 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:27 PM

I love the quote where he was talking about them being the future and needing to help them.

I don’t know what other black players do to make sure inner city black youths participate in the game and things like that but it’s very important they do that. Jones just gets that.

It's also (primarily) on the teams themselves.

They don't like that baseball's audience skews older and whiter?  Make sure you are reaching out to all. 

In-terms of fans, in-terms of who you hire.    Making sure you are investing in the City's you exist to build people up in different facets of life....  and in strictly baseball terms, making sure you are investing in fields, etc.

To the O's credit, they do a lot.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,010 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:53 AM

So...can we delete everything after the 2nd sentence of the 3rd post in this thread and try again?

I have really enjoyed getting to root for Adam during his time here. He's a very good player and a far better person. I hope he's with the team for as long as makes sense for both sides, and I hope that he's a member of the organizational circle long after he retires.

#8 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

Jones is a class act.

He has done a good job in the community and in the field.

#9 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:33 AM

Frankly, I don't care that Jones vetoed a trade. I don't care that he is open with his opinions. He has been a damned good Oriole, personifies what we would like our athletes to be in the community, and I hope he finds a place with the organization after he retires.
Forget his WAR. His CAR (class above replacement) is off the charts.http://www.espn.com/...eague-team-trip

I never liked his meddling in club affairs. Did he sway or influence club movement with his annual dinners with Peter Angelos? No question he's an icon in Baltimore but sometimes you need to know where the line is.

#10 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:35 AM

I never liked his meddling in club affairs. Did he sway or influence club movement with his annual dinners with Peter Angelos? No question he's an icon in Baltimore but sometimes you need to know where the line is.

It's not AJ's fault if ownership granted him an audience. Thst's 100 percent on ownership.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#11 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

It's not AJ's fault if ownership granted him an audience. Thst's 100 percent on ownership.

Correct but never liked his MO. I never thought it was productive. And when it came time to do something productive for the organization, he stuck it to them in the end.

#12 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,187 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:49 AM

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this site. But everyone knows where I stand, so whatever. I'm not going to derail V2.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#13 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

Correct but never liked his MO. I never thought it was productive. And when it came time to do something productive for the organization, he stuck it to them in the end.

I think the last thing AJ had done in his time in Baltimore is "stick it" to anyone. He's one of a very small number of athletes that I think truly cares about his team and his community. If anything happened to Baltimore I could see him doing something similar to what J.J. Watt did in Houston after Harvey.

#14 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,224 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

Is this topic even a discussion? People dislike AJ? He’s one of the most likable guys in baseball imo. A throwback in that mold of player who speaks his mind.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,745 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:21 AM

He’s one of those players that if you don’t like him, there’s probably something wrong with you.
  • The Epic, Mackus, B00E00N00 and 1 other like this
@BSLRobShields

#16 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

I think the last thing AJ had done in his time in Baltimore is "stick it" to anyone. He's one of a very small number of athletes that I think truly cares about his team and his community. If anything happened to Baltimore I could see him doing something similar to what J.J. Watt did in Houston after Harvey.

I agree.

AJ just donated 10k to a little league organization from DC that lacked the funds to travel to a regional tourney in New England.

I believe that Jones will still contribute to charitable causes in the Baltimore area even if he moves on.

He seems like a good guy to me.

#17 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:17 AM

I agree.

AJ just donated 10k to a little league organization from DC that lacked the funds to travel to a regional tourney in New England.

I believe that Jones will still contribute to charitable causes in the Baltimore area even if he moves on.

He seems like a good guy to me.

The way he handled being called racial epithets in Boston really raised my appreciation for who he is as a human being to a new level. As I recall he made a video for his toddler son to watch telling him exactly what happened and how he felt because he knew one day he would find out, and some people were accusing AJ of making it up. Now the Little League team? That's a good man.

He's my favorite all-time Orioles. I'm not old enough to have seen anyone before the 90s, but it's hard to imagine a better guy to represent the franchise.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

If he influenced club decisions, and I don't know that he did, it stands to reason that the influence would have been for the positive. Or at the very least, were intended to be positive influences. 

I'm curious, what is it that you didn't like about his MO?

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#19 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

The way he handled being called racial epithets in Boston really raised my appreciation for who he is as a human being to a new level. As I recall he made a video for his toddler son to watch telling him exactly what happened and how he felt because he knew one day he would find out, and some people were accusing AJ of making it up. Now the Little League team? That's a good man.

He's my favorite all-time Orioles. I'm not old enough to have seen anyone before the 90s, but it's hard to imagine a better guy to represent the franchise.

It's bad enough that he had to be subjected to that verbal abuse without people doubting that it even happened at all.

I am old enough to remember Brooks. I was young when his career was winding down, but everyone kind of looked at him as an uncle or something.

Adam Jones has probably done a lot of good things nobody even knows about. Like I said, I believe that he is a good guy.

#20 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:40 PM

If he influenced club decisions, and I don't know that he did, it stands to reason that the influence would have been for the positive. Or at the very least, were intended to be positive influences. 

I'm curious, what is it that you didn't like about his MO?

His sit downs with PGA and his sometimes wining to the media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners