184 replies to this topic

#161 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

Elias and other O's are in the Dominican Republic scouting Sanchez.  He can sign with a team beginning tomorrow.

https://www.mlb.com/...ign/c-303499974

• BSLRobShields likes this

#162 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,841 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:20 PM

I read somewhere that because he has a limited offensive upside that he would be viewed as a second or third round draft pick.

@BSLRobShields

#163 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,326 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

I read somewhere that because he has a limited offensive upside that he would be viewed as a second or third round draft pick.

FanGraphs: Cuban Defector SS Yolbert Sanchez Cleared to Sign

#164 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:33 PM

I imagine that most draft picks would get 5-10X their bonus slots if everyone was a free agent rather than in a cost-controlled environment.  So I'm completely content spending $3M+ of "real money" on Sanchez if his rough approximation is a Day 2 pick.

Just for comparison/context, the last pick of the 3rd round (#104) had a bonus slot of $538k in the 2018 draft.

• Ricker Says likes this

#165 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:30 PM

The Orioles added another utility-type player in a waiver move Monday, claiming Jack Reinheimer from the Rangers. Reinheimer, 26, hit .167 in 21 games last year for the Mets. Austin Brice was DFA'd in a corresponding move. The O's had claimed Brice earlier this month from Reds.

Marlins claim Brice.

RHP Austin Brice is being added to the 40-man roster, replacing Galloway, who was DFA'd.

#166 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,220 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:30 PM

FanGraphs: Cuban Defector SS Yolbert Sanchez Cleared to Sign

Let's see, who has more  $$$ than anyone else?   I would not know Yolbert from Yogi the Bear, so it will be interesting to see if the Orioles think he is any good.

@mikeghg

#167 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,220 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:54 PM

Marlins claim Brice.

RHP Austin Brice is being added to the 40-man roster, replacing Galloway, who was DFA'd.

Should we have a Austin Brice appreciation thread?  See you Brice, we never knew you.

@mikeghg

#168 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

Elias and other O's are in the Dominican Republic scouting Sanchez.  He can sign with a team beginning tomorrow.

https://www.mlb.com/...ign/c-303499974

According to Eric Longenhagen on Twitter, Sanchez has a $2M offer from a club with "2019 pool space. This likely prices out all but Baltimore during the current signing period."

• Nigel Tufnel likes this

#169 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

I'm curious if Diaz played with Sanchez at all as he did with Victor Victor Mesa who is around the same age.

To answer my own question, it appears that Diaz may have played against Sanchez in his rookie year in 2015 according to Baseball Reference.

#170 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

The Marlins acquired some international slot money from the Phillies in the Realmuto trade.  That would be a real kick in the ass they ended up signing Sanchez using the slot money that the O's traded to the Phillies for that 45 year old rookie ball guy.

#171 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

According to Eric Longenhagen on Twitter, Sanchez has a $2M offer from a club with "2019 pool space. This likely prices out all but Baltimore during the current signing period."

I read the original context and the quote was about 2M for the 2019-2020 signing period.  That's the next signing period.  That's why his agent is talking about not having a "signing watch".  They are behind in this period ('18-'19) because most teams have little left.  If they slow play it (ie, don't get their deal) then they just wait until the next signing period when everyone has the Pool Space again.

I don't view him as being any different from Martin or Grenier so line up the teams that want him and let them make offers for 2M in space and get something you want from another team.

#172 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:59 AM

I don't view him as being any different from Martin or Grenier so line up the teams that want him and let them make offers for 2M in space and get something you want from another team.

Why wouldn't you want all 3? They very likely will play this season at different levels.

Converting the international bonus into something else useful is a fine idea, but may be an extra step than we need to take. Just sign Sanchez. We still need a SS for the future even with Martin and Grenier in house and adding him makes us more likely to find one.

#173 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

Why wouldn't you want all 3? They very likely will play this season at different levels.

...because your development timelines are overlapping.  If he was a young guy, great, anything below AA is stack and see what happens, but once your AA-AAA you start to make choices.  We won't really know anything about Martin before Grenier is sort of here and you'd have this guy between them.  It's not their level this year, it's how they layer over the next 3 years.  

fwiw, I understand that my view is different than likely everyone else.  I'm 100% for accumulation of Talent, I'd just be more intentional about the upper levels of the system....and when it's time for guys to get their opportunity, I'm not stacking them, I'm moving them and rebuilding a deeper layer.

I'm just not into developing players to develop the next player.  I'm willing to make decisions as part of a Plan.

#174 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

He treats prospects like women, man.
  • Mackus likes this

@fuzydunlop

#175 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,841 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

...because your development timelines are overlapping. If he was a young guy, great, anything below AA is stack and see what happens, but once your AA-AAA you start to make choices. We won't really know anything about Martin before Grenier is sort of here and you'd have this guy between them. It's not their level this year, it's how they layer over the next 3 years.

fwiw, I understand that my view is different than likely everyone else. I'm 100% for accumulation of Talent, I'd just be more intentional about the upper levels of the system....and when it's time for guys to get their opportunity, I'm not stacking them, I'm moving them and rebuilding a deeper layer.

I'm just not into developing players to develop the next player. I'm willing to make decisions as part of a Plan.

Yea, there is zero wrong with having multiple options that are in the same areas of the minors.

And perhaps more than one excels and that gives you another trade chip.

No issue with using the money we have to get something else though...provided it’s not a stupid use of the money ala Duq would do on a regular basis.
@BSLRobShields

#176 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:57 PM

And perhaps more than one excels and that gives you another trade chip.

...or you wind up losing value because you lack options and other teams exploit that in their consideration.

You guys are talking about years, not months.

We aren't going to know anything about Martin for years if even then.  When did we really know anything about Schoop?  Do we now?

#177 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:19 PM

None of these guys we are talking about are the types of guys you give long looks to if they can't perform. Martin is unique case because of the Rule 5. But if he wasn't, you give him time and see what he does. If he plays well, he earns more time. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

The only guys you allow to fail for more than a year so at this level are guys who have the look from your scouts as guys that will be assets if they can figure it out. Chance Sisco fits that bill. All of these SS do not, IMO (Grenier and Sanchez could reach that level before debuting if they have strong minor league performance).

Martin does not. He's in a similar boat as Mullins or Stewart (or Mancini previously) with the exception that he'd still be at AAA needing to earn his MLB opportunity. But his chance he will get this year is probably his only chance. If he succeeds (like Mancini did), then he earns more time and becomes part of the long term equation. If he struggles, then he goes back down (or out in his case) and tries to earn another chance.

#178 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

None of these guys we are talking about are the types of guys you give long looks to if they can't perform. 

We're not going to disagree on this, we've done this a lot, and that's fine. 

In the context of discussion, you're talking about having "1-year tryouts" for determining relevance (continue or dump).

I don't think you'll actually know anything in a 1-year tryout to make that decision so I'm not inclined to do that.

My preference would be to be intentional about those guys that you are going to project (that's the job of the staff) and then build better opportunity now to get to that opportunity later (or whenever).

#179 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:21 PM

I'd rather see the guys play some at the MLB level before deciding that they are a major piece of the future plan. You know more after seeing them play that you did before.

Some guy's you think you have a high confidence in before they get to that level, but other guys are more volatile.

#180 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

So this comment backs out to the original thread a little more, but would be an example of what I'm discussing.

I understand part of this will be hard for people to separate, but in the context of discussion (I'm happy to talk about the other things that go into doing it but would like to streamline this thought to the alignment I'm suggesting).

Let's look at the Chicago teams and their current MI situations.  WhiteSox rumored to be interested in Sanchez and given the International flavor of their projected team, that's reasonable.  Tim Anderson has 2+ years of service so they may be considering some options given his <.700 OPS the last 2 years so if it took Sanchez a year+ in the minors to acclimate, whatever, you've probably had enough look at Anderson after 2019/20 (2-3 years of control remaining, maybe you can trade him).

Addison Russell is likely reasonably available and I'd like to just leave that as a fact and not turn this into a DV discussion.  The Cubs have also talked about being at their payroll limit and discussed options for moving Zobrist to free up some payroll.

What if you put something together with both teams that looked like....

CWS gets Yusniel Diaz, Ben Zobrist, IFA Pool (for Sanchez)

CHC gets Martin, Blake Rutherford

BAL gets Russell, Madrigal

WhiteSox add Diaz to RF at AAA to go with Eloy Jiminez (LF) and Luis Robert (CF).  Use Zobrist short-term and maybe flip him at the deadline for something.  Add Sanchez as a SS option behind Anderson.

Cubs free up payroll and add some cost controlled talent to free up other opportunities.

Orioles add Russell now and pair Madrigal at A+ with OSU keystone partner Grenier.  (If you draft Rutschman #1, you can see the Plan..."blackened Duck L'orange" forming)

In a separate deal, you wind up with Dee Gordon (easy).

I'd rather use Russell-Gordon at SS-2B for 2 years of 'win now' (I understand we don't want to win) while you develop Grenier-Madrigal for 2021 (win later).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners