#121 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,816 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:48 PM

We'll agree to disagree. I think both Davis and Manny both have baseball related character issues.  Its all subjective on what constitutes "low character"  and I'll walk that back on both of them and just say "character issues".   Russell I'll stick with low character.  Also, agree I should of said drug suspension, not drug bust.  It just seemed like semantics, but I get it. Big literal difference.

Fair enough.  Agreeing to disagree is what this site is all about.

@mikeghg

#122 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,338 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:19 PM

From a Rosenthal article on The Athletic today: “The Orioles are shopping for a bargain shortstop from a pile of free agents that includes Jordy Mercer, Freddy Galvis, Adeiny Hechavarria, Alcides Escobar and José Iglesias.”
  • FFH likes this

#123 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:47 PM

Cubs tender Russell.

The Cubs have tendered a contract to Addison Russell. @MJ_Baumann on why his 40-game ban for domestic violence rang hollow: phttps://www.theringe...ic-abuse-policy

#124 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,777 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

They may not keep him though.

What they are saying is that his talent is too good to not have his rights.
@BSLRobShields

#125 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,338 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:24 PM

Connolly: “Nothing is official from Orioles but hearing that the expectation is Tim Beckham indeed will be nontendered before tonight's 8pm deadline. Caleb Joseph's situation remains fluid. No indication yes or no yet there. The other three -- Bundy, Givens, Villar -- seem like no-brainers”

https://twitter.com/...0388151296?s=21

#126 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:25 AM

Baseball America mentioned this guy:

“Oakland A’s SS Richie Martin has long faced questions about his bat, but he’s a true shortstop with at least above-average range and a plus arm. In his third stint at Double-A Midland, he hit .302/.370/.442. As a shortstop with some success hitting in Double-A, he immediately becomes a very interesting Rule 5 candidate.”

I’d take this guy and plug him in the lineup everyday. The Orioles are in full rebuild mold. Let Martin keep the seat warm until Bobby Witt Jr is ready for the big leagues.

Dan Duquette would’ve picked some guy we never heard of. Thank you, Mike Elias!

#127 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,688 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

Oakland A's: Richie Martin

MLB.com Profile:

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 30 | Run: 55 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60 | Overall: 50

Many evaluators tabbed Martin as the top defensive shortstop in the 2015 Draft class before the A's made him the No. 20 overall pick and signed him for $1.95 million. Knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus sidelined Martin early in his first full season, and he produced uneven results at the plate in the Class A Advanced California League once finally healthy before a late-season promotion to Double-A Midland based on his defensive merits. Martin's offensive woes deepened in his return to level the next year, prompting a demotion from the A's back to Stockton, and he began '18 in extended spring training while recovering from his second offseason knee surgery in the past three years to repair a torn meniscus. But after making a healthy return, Martin's bat finally came around as he started to look more like the player the A's thought they were getting three years prior.

Martin's impressive range at shortstop is a product of his athleticism and above-average speed, and scouts rave about his first-step quickness as well as his overall instincts. His arm is a clean fit at the position and enables him to make highlight-reel plays, but he's also capable of getting rid of the ball quickly while on the move, without sacrificing any accuracy.

The A's have long held out hope for Martin's bat, believing that it would eventually catch up to his defense, and he's rewarded the club by making harder contact and driving the ball more consistently in 2018. He shows good bat-to-ball skills, doesn't strike out much and reaches base at a solid clip. He'll never hit for much power, but there's enough pop in his right-handed bat for him to a consistent source of extra-base hits.

Not sure how obtainable he is, but looks like a nice target.

Hurting myself to pat myself on the back.  Jk. 

Actually, I'm surprised he was available as a Rule 5.  Good fortune for the O's.

• JeremyStrain, tennOsfan and FFH like this

#128 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,688 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

Dan Duquette would’ve picked some guy we never heard of. Thank you, Mike Elias!

I think Duquette would have taken him as well.  He was an abnormal option available as a Rule 5.  And fits their current needs perfectly. 

#129 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:16 AM

Are they still going to go after another guy like Iglesias?  I'm not sure that they can just stop here and sit on the situation they are in.  Regardless of how many games they win, they need to start with a team that is going to play baseball right, so a defense first SS situation should be a priority, especially with the weakness at SS in their system. 

• Mike B likes this

#130 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:32 PM

Are they still going to go after another guy like Iglesias?  I'm not sure that they can just stop here and sit on the situation they are in.  Regardless of how many games they win, they need to start with a team that is going to play baseball right, so a defense first SS situation should be a priority, especially with the weakness at SS in their system. 

I'd be tempted to sign him to a three year contract until Witt is ready to take over the position.

#131 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,816 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:17 PM

100 % agree.  In the name of Mark Belanger, and many other great shortstops that have played for the Orioles, sign a SS that can catch the ball.

@mikeghg

#132 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:09 AM

Whatever they decide, hopefully we'll see more objective measures to value players and less rhetorical reasons. SS included. 

• sandiegosean likes this

#133 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:04 AM

Whatever they decide, hopefully we'll see more objective measures to value players and less rhetorical reasons. SS included. 

Yes to this. The famous Showalter "He passes the eye test" philosophy comes to mind.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#134 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

Orioles among eleven teams at Tulowitzki workout

https://sports.yahoo...-011736651.html

@DJ_McCann

#135 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:11 PM

New Cuban SS will be eligible to sign in a few weeks, and the O's still have the most money. What could go wrong...

https://www.mlb.com/...mlb/c-303000804

#136 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,087 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:21 AM

New Cuban SS will be eligible to sign in a few weeks, and the O's still have the most money. What could go wrong...

https://www.mlb.com/...mlb/c-303000804

Sounds like the Orioles can control the market, for themselves or anyone else at 2M (next team has 1.85)

Either sign him or trade the 2M to someone for something decent.

Something like the Marlins  #10 to #16 range like James Nelson (3B, mlb.com MIA #15)

#137 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:39 AM

Orioles among eleven teams at Tulowitzki workout

https://sports.yahoo...-011736651.html

This is great news.  I never think you can have enough good glove SS prospects, but if Elias is not sold on this guy or is happy with prospects, Martin, Griener and Hall,  then yeah make a deal on trading the slot money.  For something decent though not a throw away like DD got from the Phils for 750K.

Personally, I'd like to see them sign the guy.  This will be a great comparison to see how the new regime performs vs the old regime when they control the market.  The last time we were in a position like this on Gaston,  Brady dropped the ball.

#138 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:54 AM

This article paints Sanchez as a little better prospect with above average to plus skills on the glove, arm and speed. Of course, Fangraphs equals grain of salt.

https://www.mlbtrade...-mlb-teams.html

• Mackus likes this

#139 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,072 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

No excuse not to be the high bidder on this guy if he decides to sign this year rather than wait until July.  Just like there was no excuse for Gaston.  It's an expiring gift card, use it or lose it.  

This is the first thing to grade Elias on.  Not signing him would be as stupid as not signing any of the 3 previous guys.  Even if your scouts don't really like him, the downside is nil.  With few exceptions (if he wants to wait until next signing period being the obvious one), this is a straight up litmus test.

• Crouseman likes this

#140 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,777 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

Well I disagree with that.

If your scouts don’t think he will ever hit at this level, I don’t think you have to sign him.

If he was 16-19 years old, I would agree. But at age 22, there isn’t likely a ton of room for growth in his game.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners