184 replies to this topic

#81 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:41 PM

No idea why you mention the money but he is arbitration eligible and was a Super-2 last year. MLBTR has him at 4.3 which is good enough for general purposes. No idea why you'd care about the first 29 games. I get the baggage but that is likely irrelevant 6 months from now.

Not trying to talk you or anyone into anything, Russell is just a quality SS that is reasonably available.

6 months ago, people were discussing him as the centerpiece for a Machado trade. Now you get to buy at 10 cents on the dollar.

I mentioned the money because he is relatively cheap. I mentioned the suspension because it does impact his value. I do think the baggage is going to impact his career and I disagree that his domestic violence history will be viewed as irrelavent.

I agree that he us a quality SS that can be had cheap. I prefer not to have him around as a result of the domestic abuse. However, if he somehow ends up in an Oriole uniform that would be ok with me.

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,304 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:21 PM

Read the Cubs thread for info on Russell and why to me he shouldn't be a target.

#83 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

Martin seems like a perfect fit.  He's cheap, plays good defense and is just starting to get it together with the bat after numerous fluke injuries de-railed his career.

Best of all the Orioles can absolutely stick him out there everyday and not worry about the results and potentially find a major league starter.

I'm all for Iglesias like I said, but Martin is just too much of a golden opportunity to pass up.

#84 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

Read the Cubs thread for info on Russell and why to me he shouldn't be a target.

I did.  I heard some of the discussion of it on MLB Radio too (before I read it). 

I'll stand by my other comments.  You (team) can do your own homework on it and lead to a conclusion not to mess with him....but that piece wouldn't be the limit of my consideration.

Cubs need some help.  Do you homework.  Maybe provide that help.

#85 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,199 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:28 PM

I really have no interest in  Russell.  I think he is likely to become a suspension risk.

Martin to me, makes perfect sense.  Why not, very little to lose.

@mikeghg

#86 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:43 AM

I really have no interest in  Russell.  I think he is likely to become a suspension risk.

Martin to me, makes perfect sense.  Why not, very little to lose.

Second that.  Russell is the kind of over rated, low production, low character, high profile  guy we have lost with the last 2 years.  No thanks.  

#87 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,026 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

Second that. Russell is the kind of over rated, low production, low character, high profile guy we have lost with the last 2 years. No thanks.

What?
@DJ_McCann

#88 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:24 AM

What?

Those traits I described aren't across the board with the guys we had.  They do apply to Russell across the board.  But guys like Davis and Trumbo are high profile, low production and overrated.  And I think Davis character could questioned.  Same as Manny is low character.  The list of high profile over rated and low production guys from the last two years is too long too list.  You can't win with those guys.  The low character wasn't in play much at all.  That needs corrected. 

#89 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,026 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:27 AM

Those traits I described aren't across the board with the guys we had. They do apply to Russell across the board. But guys like Davis and Trumbo are high profile, low production and overrated. And I think Davis character could questioned. Same as Manny is low character. The list of high profile over rated and low production guys from the last two years is too long too list. You can't win with those guys. The low character wasn't in play much at all. That needs corrected.

Ok
@DJ_McCann

#90 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:30 AM

Those traits I described aren't across the board with the guys we had. They do apply to Russell across the board. But guys like Davis and Trumbo are high profile, low production and overrated. And I think Davis character could questioned. Same as Manny is low character. The list of high profile over rated and low production guys from the last two years is too long too list. You can't win with those guys. The low character wasn't in play much at all. That needs corrected.

Except, you know, we did win with those exact guys.
  • DJ MC likes this

#91 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,026 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

I guess they lost their character when they started losing games. Or something.
@DJ_McCann

#92 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:59 AM

I said last two years.  They suck now just like Russell sucks.  We had a lot of guys suck the last two years that we had won with.  That's the point of knowing when to pull the plug which DD and Buck blew .

I guess they lost their character when they started losing games. Or something.

Davis has been low character since 2014 drug bust.  And yeah we started to lose when these guys became unproductive in 2017 and 2018.

#93 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:01 PM

Time to throw a shovel of dirt on the 2017 and 2018 teams.  Hot Garbage.  And we didn't win one stinking playoff game from 2015-2018.  Not exactly the glory days winning some are portraying.

#94 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,593 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:03 PM

When did trea have a kid?
  • BSLBobPhelan likes this

@fuzydunlop

#95 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:10 PM

LOL.  How many playoff games did we win with Davis, Trumbo, and MannyLOL!!!!!  You have to go clean back to 2012!!   Regular season wins are nice, but they don't mean jack shit in the big picture  And 2012 was only Davis.

#96 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:15 PM

Trea is the man!  Tells it like it is.  

#97 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:17 PM

Bottom line back to the thread.  Russell is over rated hot garbage.  Big pass on that kind of player for a rebuilding team.

#98 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,813 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

Trea is the man!  Tells it like it is.  

Recently?
@BSLRobShields

#99 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,813 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

Bottom line back to the thread.  Russell is over rated hot garbage.  Big pass on that kind of player for a rebuilding team.

He’s the exact type of player we should be targeting...except for the DV charges. If those scare you off, I get it.

But talent/age wise, he’s exactly the type of player a team in our position should be “gambling” on.
@BSLRobShields

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,304 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:30 PM

Russell has skills. The abuse is why I want no part of him. Without that, he'd be a reasonable target. With that, no thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners