• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,159 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

The evaluation period for each player will differ. Their profiles, their ceilings (at least perceived), what surrounds them, who they are competing with, and where the team is in their overall process.

#42 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,439 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:19 AM

I agree with a lot of the other things you put in this post and am just pulling this piece out, but it's important to the larger discussion and this statement is a common thought...

...but it's wrong. We aren't going to know anything at the end of 2019....and that's neither good nor bad. Just go look at basically all of the Orioles prospects coming up the last 4-5 years. Few if any have produced at a predictable consistency.

Chris has made the 'evaluate' comment a lot lately and the reality is it may take 3+ years (not 2 months, not mid-2019, not the end of 2019, not 2 years)...and even then....we still may not know. We just traded Gausman and Schoop and we STILL don't really know what they are.

...and if the answer is we'll know something (like ML versus AAAA), ok, but you still have to project guys in how you build a lineup. If the defense plays but he's still OPSing .680, how many guys are you willing to carry with that profile...ie they can be complimentary pieces but aren't really core (impact) pieces.

I'm going to try to limit the number of times I say stuff like this because it's all wet blanket and I won't comment on it again here and get back to some SS thoughts.

I didn't say we'll know what kind of player he is by then. All I said is we'll know if he deserves more opportunity or not beyond 2019.

#43 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,421 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

...back to the thread question....

My answer is the Pirates Kevin Newman (mlb.com #7).

He's at AAA and looks like a solid but not special player and the Pirates have a number of guys for the same position in the upper minors with better profiles.

Cole Tucker (mlb.com #6) is likely their preferred SS option (if he wasn't, then there's a target)

Kevin Kramer (mlb.com #8) look like a more likely 2B option.

Oneil Cruz (mlb.com #5) is a younger SS for long-term depth.

Newman isn't really a guy you worry about service time for, but he's at AAA and you could play him immediately, should provide some defensive stability and gives you buffer against Grenier's development short term and long-term.

With the Orioles OF glut and the Pirates MI glut you could probably do something simple like DJ Stewart for Newman.  Neither player is on the 40-man so you can do it today without concern about waivers.  Maybe you throw in a relief type arm to even the value (Stewart is mlb.com #25 for Os and has dropped after additions) of prospectiness.

If Stewart is viewed as more redundant with their OFs Bryan Reynolds or Jason Martin, then just do something around some pitching depth.

#44 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:24 PM

I like the idea of signing Iglesias as a stopgap.  He's the best defensive option in FA, isn't super terrible with the bat, and even though we aren't competing, the pitchers deserve to have a decent safety net behind them.  You could probably get him with a 2 year deal for little $.

#45 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,421 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

JTrea81, on 04 Aug 2018 - 14:28, said:
I like the idea of signing Iglesias as a stopgap. He's the best defensive option in FA, isn't super terrible with the bat, and even though we aren't competing, the pitchers deserve to have a decent safety net behind them. You could probably get him with a 2 year deal for little $.

...or Hechavarria. He's an all-glove SS and if you wanted to push the Cuba angle, he's from Cuba.

Don't even need 2 years to sign either of those guys. Something like a 1/2.5 deal with a 1M b/o on a team option(s) is easy. These guys will just want to be paid to start anywhere and there won't be many options for them.

He was just DFA (8/2) by the Rays and was making 5.9M this year. Only owed probably 2M for the rest of the year if you wanted to claim him to be sure...but you could also just wait until he's released and do pro-rated minimum. Could incentivize signing with 2019 contract.

#46 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

...or Hechavarria. He's an all-glove SS and if you wanted to push the Cuba angle, he's from Cuba.

Don't even need 2 years to sign either of those guys. Something like a 1/2.5 deal with a 1M b/o on a team option(s) is easy. These guys will just want to be paid to start anywhere and there won't be many options for them.

He was just DFA (8/2) by the Rays and was making 5.9M this year. Only owed probably 2M for the rest of the year if you wanted to claim him to be sure...but you could also just wait until he's released and do pro-rated minimum. Could incentivize signing with 2019 contract.

I like it.  Except what do you do with Beckham?  Back to third?

I remember last july DD was interested in him when Miami had him on the block.  Hardy was hurt and TB ended up getting him. 

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:07 AM

Who cares what you do with that scrub
  • FFH likes this

#48 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

I like it. Except what do you do with Beckham? Back to third?
I remember last july DD was interested in him when Miami had him on the block. Hardy was hurt and TB ended up getting him.

I think Beckham's future may be as a utility player. I don't think he is a consistent enough defender at short. However, I would give him the rest of this season to play short. In fairness, he is coming off surgery and has been moved twice in one year. If the Orioles get a better defender to play short next year, I think Beckham is a good option as the utility infielder. He can hit a little bit too.

#49 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

Who cares what you do with that scrub

I only asked the Beckham question because Buck likes "Timmy".  Buck not very good or timely at making moves on guys he likes that obviously suck to the rest of the free world.  I keep waiting to see how he will ever move AJ out of center.  He is already 2 years late on this one.

#50 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

I think Beckham's future may be as a utility player. I don't think he is a consistent enough defender at short. However, I would give him the rest of this season to play short. In fairness, he is coming off surgery and has been moved twice in one year. If the Orioles get a better defender to play short next year, I think Beckham is a good option as the utility infielder. He can hit a little bit too.

Agree, but tell that to him.  Or better yet, can Buck break the news.  Beckham fancies himself as an everyday SS.  

• russsnyder likes this

#51 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:52 AM

I only asked the Beckham question because Buck likes "Timmy". Buck not very good or timely at making moves on guys he likes that obviously suck to the rest of the free world. I keep waiting to see how he will ever move AJ out of center. He is already 2 years late on this one.

Lol if you think Buck is any kind of Beckham fan

#52 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:58 AM

Agree, but tell that to him.  Or better yet, can Buck break the news.  Beckham fancies himself as an everyday SS.  

Hopefully, another manager other than Buck can break the news to "Timmy."

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,159 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:44 AM

Bump.

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,159 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:45 AM

Oakland A's: Richie Martin

MLB.com Profile:

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 30 | Run: 55 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60 | Overall: 50
Many evaluators tabbed Martin as the top defensive shortstop in the 2015 Draft class before the A's made him the No. 20 overall pick and signed him for $1.95 million. Knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus sidelined Martin early in his first full season, and he produced uneven results at the plate in the Class A Advanced California League once finally healthy before a late-season promotion to Double-A Midland based on his defensive merits. Martin's offensive woes deepened in his return to level the next year, prompting a demotion from the A's back to Stockton, and he began '18 in extended spring training while recovering from his second offseason knee surgery in the past three years to repair a torn meniscus. But after making a healthy return, Martin's bat finally came around as he started to look more like the player the A's thought they were getting three years prior.

Martin's impressive range at shortstop is a product of his athleticism and above-average speed, and scouts rave about his first-step quickness as well as his overall instincts. His arm is a clean fit at the position and enables him to make highlight-reel plays, but he's also capable of getting rid of the ball quickly while on the move, without sacrificing any accuracy.

The A's have long held out hope for Martin's bat, believing that it would eventually catch up to his defense, and he's rewarded the club by making harder contact and driving the ball more consistently in 2018. He shows good bat-to-ball skills, doesn't strike out much and reaches base at a solid clip. He'll never hit for much power, but there's enough pop in his right-handed bat for him to a consistent source of extra-base hits.

Not sure how obtainable he is, but looks like a nice target.

Potential Rule 5.

#55 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:55 AM

Potential Rule 5.

He is right there for the taking.  

#56 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:58 AM

Potential Rule 5.

He finally hit a little bit last year at AA.  .302.

#57 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:16 AM

He finally hit a little bit last year at AA.  .302.

If he's left unprotected, he would seem like a pretty decent fit.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,175 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

Deadline was last night, guys.  He was not added to the 40-man so is Rule 5 eligible.

#59 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,963 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:26 PM

This is the type of player we should look at it.

One of the most disgusting things about last years team is the total inability to catch the ball.   I can get behind a rebuild, but I can not stomach watching a team give their opponents 4 outs or more an inning.

Fix SS, 3B, left and right field defensively/

• FFH likes this
@mikeghg

#60 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,547 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:30 PM

He's a gator, pass!

If he's a ML caliber defender, which I seem to remember he was pretty solid in college, I'm all for it.

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners