BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,145 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:26 AM

BSLMichaelWeber, on 04 Aug 2018 - 00:43, said:
Yet, it's so important that they have confidence in Mullins before the season starts?

Yep..because he is actually a player that could have be part of the long term. In 2019, we don't have that player at SS.
@BSLRobShields

#22 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,417 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:31 AM

Yep..because he is actually a player that could have be part of the long term. In 2019, we don't have that player at SS.

Haha, ok.

#23 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,145 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

Haha, ok.

Even you should be able to understand the difference between a player who could be part of the future and one who isn’t.
@BSLRobShields

#24 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,417 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:39 AM

Even you should be able to understand the difference between a player who could be part of the future and one who isn’t.

Ha, yes, even dumb old me can figure that out.

It's funny to be like it doesn't matter who plays SS next year because we're rebuilding, but this meh CF prospect has to be playing CF immediately, and not just next year, but now, and regardless if he's even earned it.

In the grand scheme of things, I really don't think it matters if he is called up today or Sept 1 or breaks camp next year or even is called up later than that. They should already have a good gauge of his defensive abilities, so it's not imperative that they see him in Baltimore's CF anytime soon. The hitting will be more of a question mark, but there's still no rush when we're at the start of what's going to be a long process. By the end of next year, we'll know if Mullins deserves the opportunity to be in our outfield in center or elsewhere, and we'll know that if we call him up now or if we wait til he earns a promotion with better play (or even if he comes up now but plays LF instead of CF).

So when they feel he's earned the call, by all means don't hesitate. I've already stated my preference for him to be in CF as well once called up, but I don't see it as a big deal at all if he plays elsewhere.

The same applies to our other prospects. There's no need to rush anyone just because the opportunity for playing time on the O's exists. The good thing for them and the rebuild is that said opportunity does exist when they're ready for it.

#25 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,145 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:43 AM

He has earned it. It’s absurd to state otherwise.

And again, we don’t have any other options anyway.
@BSLRobShields

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,010 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

Re: Mullins, I agree with the idea that the O's do / should know what he is defensively already. He is their prospect.

Don't really disagree that not much changes if he is up today, Sept 1st, or to start next year.

Do think you can take advantage of time though, and the more initial ab's and time he gets this year, the better. He gets a taste, gets acclimated, starts to understand the adjustments he will have to make.

Do disagree with the notion about rushing players.  Well, don't disagree that you don't have to rush players, but I have no problem pushing certain players.

It's one thing to hold back guys like Diaz and Mountcastle for service time.... but guys like Mullin, and Stewart....   to me you push those guys up.  Fine to wait until they get hot again though. Both in a current cold spell in the Minors.

#27 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,417 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:07 AM

Well since you said there is no other non absurd opinion besides your own, I guess that's that.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

I think he's done enough to be promoted, but he also hasn't exactly been busting down the door.

I'd call him up this season, but don't know if I'd call him up right now.  He's been really struggling lately.  <600 OPS over his last 10 games.  620 over his last 20.  I think I'd let him have a good week or so down there, get feeling good, then come up.  He did go 4/11 with 2 HR in a recent series, so maybe he's starting a hot streak right now.

#29 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

I think he's done enough to be promoted, but he also hasn't exactly been busting down the door.

I'd call him up this season, but don't know if I'd call him up right now. He's been really struggling lately. <600 OPS over his last 10 games. 620 over his last 20. I think I'd let him have a good week or so down there, get feeling good, then come up. He did go 4/11 with 2 HR in a recent series, so maybe he's starting a hot streak right now.

Pretty good plan to bring Mullins up in the middle of a hot streak. I think he will be up in August if the Orioles can move Valenvia or Trumbo. Short of that or an injury, we will see him in September.

#30 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

I'd call him up this season, but don't know if I'd call him up right now.  He's been really struggling lately.  <600 OPS over his last 10 games.  620 over his last 20.  I think I'd let him have a good week or so down there, get feeling good, then come up.  He did go 4/11 with 2 HR in a recent series, so maybe he's starting a hot streak right now.

Good thought.  When he comes up I really hope he goes to CF.  AJ is really deteriorating in CF.  He botched a simple play to cut off a gapper in left center because he just doesn't have the speed.  Cost the pitcher a couple runs.  Plus I think everyone needs to see what AJ has in RF for future plans. Both for us and other teams in the winter.  The move would be doing AJ a favor.

#31 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

I don't really care when they bring Mullins up. But IF they bring him up them play him. I understand the getting them used to the clubhouse but I think thats overblown. If you are going to burn service time then get them on the field...a lot....

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

I have little doubt he will play nearly everyday once called up. I do wonder if they will play him in CF or move him to RF. Like everyone else, I think he should play CF.

#33 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,417 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

Re: Mullins, I agree with the idea that the O's do / should know what he is defensively already. He is their prospect.

Don't really disagree that not much changes if he is up today, Sept 1st, or to start next year.

Do think you can take advantage of time though, and the more initial ab's and time he gets this year, the better. He gets a taste, gets acclimated, starts to understand the adjustments he will have to make.

Do disagree with the notion about rushing players. Well, don't disagree that you don't have to rush players, but I have no problem pushing certain players.

It's one thing to hold back guys like Diaz and Mountcastle for service time.... but guys like Mullin, and Stewart.... to me you push those guys up. Fine to wait until they get hot again though. Both in a current cold spell in the Minors.

Yep, I'd prefer not to bring them up while they're cold.

Neither he nor Stewart have minor league resumes that scream they've earned the call up either, especially Stewart.

Otherwise, while I think you're right that service time is not as important for guys like this, it still has value. Even if Mullins ends up as a 4th OF, I'd gladly take that extra year of control. It can certainly make a difference when the O's are hopefully contending years from now, especially when compounded with other guys that they gained an extra year of control of.

One thing the O's have going for themselves is time; they can afford to be patient.

That doesn't mean they should play the service time game with everyone, but if keeping them in the minors can be justified, then being patient may be prudent.

#34 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,145 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:51 AM

Yep

@BSLRobShields

#35 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,145 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:53 AM

Mullins has had pretty decent offensive numbers in pitchers leagues.  What do you expect?  850+ OPS for him to come up?

If we are lucky, he will be a 750ish OPS CFer with a good glove.  That's my hope.  

I just don't know what else you want him to do to show he is ready to be given the opportunity.

@BSLRobShields

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

Mullins has had pretty decent offensive numbers in pitchers leagues. What do you expect? 850+ OPS for him to come up?

If we are lucky, he will be a 750ish OPS CFer with a good glove. That's my hope.

I just don't know what else you want him to do to show he is ready to be given the opportunity.

I'd like to see them not be ice cold before coming up. Hard enough to adjust to the new level, might as well wait until they aren't scuffling and give them the best shot to hit the ground running. He recently had a 12/63 stretch, which he was in the midle of while some were suggesting we promote him.

Let him get comfortable at the plate again, then call him up. Recently he's turned it around, so maybe the time is now.

#37 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,417 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:01 AM

Mullins has had pretty decent offensive numbers in pitchers leagues. What do you expect? 850+ OPS for him to come up?

If we are lucky, he will be a 750ish OPS CFer with a good glove. That's my hope.

He's over 100 points below .850 in AAA (748 OPS). So something at least close to .800 would be good.

And as stated, I'd like him to be hitting well at the time of the call-up.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:02 AM

750 is fine for me. Especially in Norfolk as a CF. He doesn't need to beat down the door. I just want him to be clear of this deep slump he's been in.

#39 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,421 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

By the end of next year, we'll know if Mullins deserves the opportunity to be in our outfield in center or elsewhere, ....

I agree with a lot of the other things you put in this post and am just pulling this piece out, but it's important to the larger discussion and this statement is a common thought...

...but it's wrong. We aren't going to know anything at the end of 2019....and that's neither good nor bad. Just go look at basically all of the Orioles prospects coming up the last 4-5 years. Few if any have produced at a predictable consistency.

Chris has made the 'evaluate' comment a lot lately and the reality is it may take 3+ years (not 2 months, not mid-2019, not the end of 2019, not 2 years)...and even then....we still may not know. We just traded Gausman and Schoop and we STILL don't really know what they are.

...and if the answer is we'll know something (like ML versus AAAA), ok, but you still have to project guys in how you build a lineup. If the defense plays but he's still OPSing .680, how many guys are you willing to carry with that profile...ie they can be complimentary pieces but aren't really core (impact) pieces.

I'm going to try to limit the number of times I say stuff like this because it's all wet blanket and I won't comment on it again here and get back to some SS thoughts.

#40 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,417 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

750 is fine for me. Especially in Norfolk as a CF. He doesn't need to beat down the door. I just want him to be clear of this deep slump he's been in.

To be clear, I wouldn't be outraged if they call him up. However, I think it's more of a let's see this guy in the bigs mentality rather than thinking he's really earned it. He earned a promotion to AAA, but a .750 OPS in 57 games isn't earning a promotion to starter in the majors imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners