• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

Beckham was below average but livable at SS last year.

I was willing to give him a week or so get adjusted back at SS after being away from the position this year... practicing another position from the Spring.... but that patience is decreasing daily.  As Mike B pointed out in the game thread, he's got 8 errors since the AS break.

It's a shame, because he's doing more with the bat since the break.  If he showed to be just livable at SS, he'd be an option there next year.

But if he's going to be a butcher at SS (and no matter what he's going to be someone you are never super comfortable with).... then that is going to force the O's to find another option.

With all of the young pitchers the O's figure to have the next few years, they need to know their SS is going to make the routine play.

Grenier might move through the system quickly, probably will if he doesn't show to be overwhelmed offensively... but you have to think 2020 at the earliest.

So, who is a reasonable target to man SS in '19?

If that guy is only a stop-gap, who is someone you want to target as a more long-term option?

Yeah, great to hope (right now) that Bobby Witt lands with the O's, but can't bank on that, nor do you know how you are going to feel about that option next year if he is available to them.

#2 Gizmo

Gizmo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:47 PM

Villar has played a lot of shortstop in his career. I believe he started his career there.

Of course, if you make that move, you have to find a second baseman. If there is no one in the O's system ready for either position, bring back Flaherty if he is a free agent after the season. What difference would it make, we are going to suck for awhile anyway.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:50 PM

Villar has played a lot of shortstop in his career. I believe he started his career there.

Of course, if you make that move, you have to find a second baseman. If there is no one in the O's system ready for either position, bring back Flaherty if he is a free agent after the season. What difference would it make, we are going to suck for awhile anyway.

Villar does have 2,259.2 career innings at SS, but none since '16, and his career UZR / 150 at SS is -20.6.

I'm thinking he must be pretty bad.

If it's just a stop-gap, it can be a guy that doesn't hit a lick, but he's got to be someone you got faith will make the routine play and correct decisions.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:58 PM

Here are some FAs...

Shortstops
Elvis Andrus *
Eduardo Escobar
Freddy Galvis
Adeiny Hechavarria
Jose Iglesias
Jordy Mercer
Jean Segura

Players whose contract includes a 2019 option or the right to opt out for 2019 are noted with asterisks. Updated 4/17.

#5 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

Ehh, more than content to ride it out until the end of the year and assess it then. He's obviously conscious/nervous about making errors .. which is only going to cause him to more errors at this point. He's starting to make some nice athletic plays. I disagree there's an issue with his sure handedness (I just tuned in and did not see the error tonight), it's much more about throws and decision making imo. His offensive approach has been pretty good of late, he's cut down the k rate and I think hes had a bit of bad luck. Would like to see some better power numbers. Again another area I'd like to see play out see play out until the end of the year. If he doesn't settle down at SS, maybe you look at him at second next year.

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

Here are some FAs...

Shortstops
Elvis Andrus *
Eduardo Escobar
Freddy Galvis
Adeiny Hechavarria
Jose Iglesias
Jordy Mercer
Jean Segura

Players whose contract includes a 2019 option or the right to opt out for 2019 are noted with asterisks. Updated 4/17.

Segura signed a long term contract
@BSLRobShields

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

I don’t care if Chris Davis is the SS in 2019.
@BSLRobShields

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:22 PM

Why?

You are going to suck, but that's not the point.

You are going to be evaluating players.... including some pitchers you hope to develop.  Give them someone they know will make the routine play.

#9 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

Well, I don't want the young pitchers to be unnecessarily demoralized either. Just fine waiting Beckham out till the end of the season. 

• Crouseman likes this

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

Ehh, more than content to ride it out until the end of the year and assess it then. He's obviously conscious/nervous about making errors .. which is only going to cause him to more errors at this point. He's starting to make some nice athletic plays. I disagree there's an issue with his sure handedness (I just tuned in and did not see the error tonight), it's much more about throws and decision making imo. His offensive approach has been pretty good of late, he's cut down the k rate and I think hes had a bit of bad luck. Would like to see some better power numbers. Again another area I'd like to see play out see play out until the end of the year. If he doesn't settle down at SS, maybe you look at him at second next year.

I'm definitely all for giving Beckham the rest of '18.  But for him to be the '19 SS imo, you've got to end '18 not being scared to death of having him out there.

Get back to where he was last year.  Not good (though capable of great plays), but not a butcher.    I always think with him you'll be worried about the routine, and his decision making... but he did show some ability there last year. 

#11 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:39 PM

I'm definitely all for giving Beckham the rest of '18.  But for him to be the '19 SS imo, you've got to end '18 not being scared to death of having him out there.

Get back to where he was last year.  Not good (though capable of great plays), but not a butcher.    I always think with him you'll be worried about the routine, and his decision making... but he did show some ability there last year. 

Yeah, I don't disagree. 

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

Well, I don't want the young pitchers to be unnecessarily demoralized either. Just fine waiting Beckham out till the end of the season.

Ok, this is a good point to my “stupid” point. My basic thought is I don’t care who is the team next year.
@BSLRobShields

#13 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

Yeah I don't want him there in 2019.  I want a very good defensive SS in there to help the young pitchers start to develop some confidence. Wish we would of gotten Arcia instead of Villar in the Brewers deal.

#14 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:43 PM

Bring back JJ Hardy. He can't be worse.

• BSLChrisStoner and Crouseman like this

#15 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:47 PM

Bring back JJ Hardy. He can't be worse.

You just read Buck's mind.  Get the band back together for 2019. The old farts and kids tour.  I heard Tilly and Reimold are looking for spring tryouts, LOL!!!

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:59 PM

LA Angels: Luis Rengifo

They've got Simmons in the Majors, and Kevin Maintan is a better internal prospect at SS.

Rengifo's MLB.com profile:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 35 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

Rengifo originally signed with the Mariners in March 2014 as the Venezuelan showed improvement on both sides of the ball as an amateur. He spent his first two summers in Venezuela and the Dominican Republic before making his United States debut in the rookie-level Arizona League in 2016, then jumped to full-season ball in 2017. The Rays got him from the Mariners in August of that season, but his time with Tampa was short-lived as he was shipped to the Angels in March to complete the C.J. Cron trade.

The switch-hitting Rengifo has a short, compact swing from both sides of the plate, with feel for the barrel that enables him to produce consistent contact. He shows some pop from the left side of the plate, albeit mostly to the gaps, but offers little in the way of power as a righty, with very good plate discipline allowing his hit tool to play up. Rengifo's above-average speed makes him a threat on the basepaths, and he's improved his basestealing efficiency to maximize that tool.

Defensively, Rengifo has already played a number of positions, mostly in the middle infield, though he has seen time at third and even in the outfield. He has the range, quickness and arm for the left side of the infield and the Angels had him playing shortstop during his first season in the organization, though his versatility could come in handy in the future.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:06 PM

Oakland A's: Richie Martin

MLB.com Profile:

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 30 | Run: 55 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60 | Overall: 50

Many evaluators tabbed Martin as the top defensive shortstop in the 2015 Draft class before the A's made him the No. 20 overall pick and signed him for $1.95 million. Knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus sidelined Martin early in his first full season, and he produced uneven results at the plate in the Class A Advanced California League once finally healthy before a late-season promotion to Double-A Midland based on his defensive merits. Martin's offensive woes deepened in his return to level the next year, prompting a demotion from the A's back to Stockton, and he began '18 in extended spring training while recovering from his second offseason knee surgery in the past three years to repair a torn meniscus. But after making a healthy return, Martin's bat finally came around as he started to look more like the player the A's thought they were getting three years prior.

Martin's impressive range at shortstop is a product of his athleticism and above-average speed, and scouts rave about his first-step quickness as well as his overall instincts. His arm is a clean fit at the position and enables him to make highlight-reel plays, but he's also capable of getting rid of the ball quickly while on the move, without sacrificing any accuracy.

The A's have long held out hope for Martin's bat, believing that it would eventually catch up to his defense, and he's rewarded the club by making harder contact and driving the ball more consistently in 2018. He shows good bat-to-ball skills, doesn't strike out much and reaches base at a solid clip. He'll never hit for much power, but there's enough pop in his right-handed bat for him to a consistent source of extra-base hits.

Not sure how obtainable he is, but looks like a nice target.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

Chicago Cubs: Zack Short

MLB.com profile:

Scouting grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 40 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45
Short led the Northeast Conference with nine homers and 33 walks as a Sacred Heart sophomore in 2015, intriguing scouts with his combination of pop and patience. But he didn't perform well in the Cape Cod League and slumped as a junior, so he dropped to the 17th round of the 2016 Draft. He got going again offensively in his first full pro season, slamming 13 homers and finishing third in the Minors with 94 walks while reaching high Class A in 2017.

While he's just 5-foot-10 and 175 pounds, Short has quick hands and makes repeated hard contact, giving him the ability to produce 12-15 homers on an annual basis. He's an extremely disciplined hitter who walked more than he struck out in his first two years as a pro, though his whiff rate has soared in Double-A this year and his on-base percentages have been much more impressive than his batting averages. He runs well and is aggressive on the bases.

Short's athleticism, quickness and solid arm strength give him defensive versatility. The Cubs believe he's a legitimate shortstop and also have played him at third base and second base. There's no reason he couldn't handle some outfield duty as well, which could make for a very interesting utilityman package.

The batting average is a concern, as is his ceiling... but could be obtainable, and a stop-gap.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:28 PM

Reds - Alfredo Rodriguez

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 30 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 65 | Overall: 45

It looked like the Reds were going to sign Rodriguez, as they were attached to the Cuban shortstop almost from the minute he became eligible to be signed. It took a little longer than expected, but they finally got their man at the start of the 2016 signing period for a bonus of $7 million. During his full-season debut in the Florida State League, Rodriguez both lived up to his defensive reputation and down to concerns about his potential with the bat. He wasn't able to put those questions to rest as a hamate issue sent him to the disabled list on two different occasions in 2018.

Rodriguez hadn't been overwhelmed in a pitching-friendly environment and he did hit .270 in the first half before running out of gas in 2017. More than anything, Rodriguez needs to refine his approach, learning the strike zone better and working counts more. He does have some raw power to tap into and he needs to try to do more damage rather than just playing for contact.

On the other side of the ball, the Reds feel Rodriguez is one of the best defensive shortstops in the Minors. He has tremendous instincts and a strong arm, making all of the routine plays and then frequently making a play you don't expect he can. Those skills alone should get him to the big leagues, but he's going to have to hit a bit more to be an all-around regular.

I'm not suggesting Rodriguez is ready for the Majors.

#20 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,432 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:39 PM

Yet, it's so important that they have confidence in Mullins before the season starts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners