#41 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,649 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:57 PM

Given any young player 6 or 7 M is a gamble, but IMO one that must be taken.  we have to get  top flight talent in this organization, that is very lacking.  Adding the elder Mesa and later Witt gives them 2 players who are top 15 minor league talent types.

@mikeghg

#42 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

Sounds like the Mesa brothers are having a showcase in the next month or two, but why would the O's wait for that?  Just offer them the money now, and get it over with, like the Reds did to the O's with Ron Gant.

#43 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

Sounds like the Mesa brothers are having a showcase in the next month or two, but why would the O's wait for that? Just offer them the money now, and get it over with, like the Reds did to the O's with Ron Gant.

The fact that they want to have a showcase is pretty telling.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,261 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:22 AM

The only thing the O's can do is control what they offer.    You have the most, offer the most.  If they go elsewhere, they go elsewhere.

#45 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:28 AM

The only thing the O's can do is control what they offer.    You have the most, offer the most.  If they go elsewhere, they go elsewhere.

You are clearly overlooking the wining and dining aspect.  :-P

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#46 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

The Mesa Brothers' showcase is scheduled for October 5...  in Marlins Park.  A Cuban pitcher, Sandy Gaston, will also participate.

At this point, it’s widely known that Victor Victor Mesa, the older of the two brothers, is considered to be the top available talent on the international market. He hit .354/.399/.539 with seven homers and 40 steals in just 70 games (290 plate appearances) in his last full season in the Cuban National Series (2016-17). The 22-year-old has drawn significant praise in scouting reports from Baseball America’s Ben Badler, being touted as an elite runner, potential plus defender in center field and a possible top-of-the-order bat.

The switch-hitting Mesa Jr. is considerably further from the Majors at 16 years of age, though he’s previously appeared for Cuba’s 18U National team despite an absence of professional experience to date. Like his older brother, he’s an outfielder that is free to sign with any club, though he didn’t land on MLB.com’s ranking of the top 30 international prospects, nor did he appear on Baseball America’s Top 50 (subscription required). Victor Victor topped both lists.

As for Gaston, he checked in 16th on MLB.com’s list and 24th on Badler’s list at BA. Gaston’s most appealing asset is the eye-popping velocity he’s already shown at a young age — he’s already touched 100 mph, per Badler — though that heat comes with red flags. He’s yet to show that he has any real ability to control his fastball, with Badler’s scouting report noting that he walked 46 hitters in 47 innings in his final season with Cuba’s 18U team. Fangraphs’ Kiley McDaniel scouted Gaston at the MLB International Showcase in February, tweeting that he hit 97 mph and flashed a pair of potentially average secondary offerings. However, he also hit a batter and threw four pitches to the backstop in that appearance.

https://www.mlbtrade...rlins-park.html

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,979 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:53 AM

Sign 'em all.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#48 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,169 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

Well, at least they'll get a preview of playing in an empty stadium, if that's also where they end up signing.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#49 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,629 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

Its so stupid that you could or could not get worked up over a workout.

Have you been scouting them in games?  If so, you know what you do or do not have.

@BSLRobShields

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,979 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:33 AM

Its so stupid that you could or could not get worked up over a workout.

Have you been scouting them in games?  If so, you know what you do or do not have.

What games?  None of these guys have played games any time recently.

#51 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,629 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:47 AM

What games?  None of these guys have played games any time recently.

I am sure they have played in games before.  

@BSLRobShields

#52 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, but we didn't have any IFA scouts. 

#53 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,629 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:00 PM

Yeah, but we didn't have any IFA scouts. 

I have to think we have seen him.  Or are we just asking Ben Badler for his thoughts?  :)

@BSLRobShields

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,979 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

How long ago?  And where? 

Victor Victor played 20 games in the Cuban league in it's 17-'18 season (which began in August '17).  How easily can scouts get into Cuba to scout games?  And that's for real teams that emphasize International scouting, not shitty idiots like the Orioles.  He also played 21 games in 2017 in the Canadian-American Association for the Cuban National team.

Victor Jr is currently 16 years old.  So if he hasn't played in almost a year like his older brother, then I wouldn't be surprised if he's never or very rarely played in front of MLB scouts.

#55 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,629 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:08 PM

How long ago?  And where? 

Victor Victor played 20 games in the Cuban league in it's 17-'18 season (which began in August '17).  How easily can scouts get into Cuba to scout games?  And that's for real teams that emphasize International scouting, not shitty idiots like the Orioles.  He also played 21 games in 2017 in the Canadian-American Association for the Cuban National team.

Victor Jr is currently 16 years old.  So if he hasn't played in almost a year like his older brother, then I wouldn't be surprised if he's never or very rarely played in front of MLB scouts.

The ratings/rankings and hype have to be based off of something and its hard for me to believe that it is ONLY based off of BA.

I have to believe even our limited scouts have seen these guys and that one workout isn't going to make or break anything.

We were rumored to already have a deal done with them a few months ago.  Now, that wasn't true but the source was legit, so the Os have some idea about him as of then.

@BSLRobShields

#56 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

The ratings/rankings and hype have to be based off of something and its hard for me to believe that it is ONLY based off of BA.

I have to believe even our limited scouts have seen these guys and that one workout isn't going to make or break anything.

We were rumored to already have a deal done with them a few months ago.  Now, that wasn't true but the source was legit, so the Os have some idea about him as of then.

I doubt any of our scouts have actually seen him play. Maybe some video. Whatever portfolio we have is probably third sourced.

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,979 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

I doubt any of our scouts have actually seen him. Whatever portfolio we have is probably third sourced.

I think this is likely as well.  Unless there are any scouts we've hired since July that had seen him previously.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,979 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:15 PM

I think we should burn the Warehouse down if the Orioles penny pinch over the amount of money Mesa wants.  Give him whatever it is he wants, you either spend that money on him or you don't spend it at all.  There is no justification for not getting Victor Victor signed unless he takes significantly less money to go to Miami.

I'm less worried about Victor Jr or this new guy Gaston.  I think it's reasonable that there may be other international FAs that turn 16 before next May that we can use with a good chunk of the money we have left.  But Victor Victor is the crown jewel of class because of his advanced age and proximity to being fully baked.  There is far less guesswork there to do.  Blow the Marlins out of the water if you have to. 

If they cry poor or cry about the value of the contract given out, it's time to revolt.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#59 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,629 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

I do wonder if they don't love the workout, what they will do?

@BSLRobShields

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,979 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

I do wonder if they don't love the workout, what they will do?

Piss a lot of fans off, would be my guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners