368 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

If you don't get the elder one, the trades look pretty damn bad.

Agreed.  The bonus money for Gausman was the only "prospect" in the deal.  If we squander it by not getting him signed, it becomes valueless.  They aren't going to sign $8M worth of $200k and $500k prospects.

• Dr. FLK likes this

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:39 PM

If you don't get the elder one, the trades look pretty damn bad.

Yep,  they talked the talk about the international market, now walk the walk.   This has to happen IMO, or Dan's trades may just  be a slightly better version of Syd Thrift's salary dump, years ago.

• Dr. FLK likes this
@mikeghg

#23 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:24 PM

I definitely get  the Gausman TRADE looks really bad if VVM doesn't happen, but I'm not sure how it someehow extrapolates to the TRADES (plural), at least at this point.

#24 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,846 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:16 PM

I definitely get the Gausman TRADE looks really bad if VVM doesn't happen, but I'm not sure how it someehow extrapolates to the TRADES (plural), at least at this point.

Well, if they preferred money over body(ies) for Brach, that’s another deal.
@BSLRobShields

#25 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:45 PM

Well, if they preferred money over body(ies) for Brach, that’s another deal.

That's fair. I'm not sure how much we could have otherwise gotten for Brach, but I cant imagine it would have been very much. . 

#26 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:55 PM

Not a newsflash but the Orioles are going to pursue both Mesa brothers aggressively:

http://www.baltimore...0915-story.html

#27 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:22 AM

I hope we're not xxxxing away $6 million. Just how good are these Mesa brothers?

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:27 AM

Jesus why the hell would you care of they spend $6M on these guys?

If Victor Victor were free to sign with anyone for any amount, he'd get $25-40M.
  • DJ MC likes this

#29 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

Jesus why the hell would you care of they spend $6M on these guys?
If Victor Victor were free to sign with anyone for any amount, he'd get $25-40M.

Why isn't he? I just question how good this guy is playing in Banana Republic baseball??

#30 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

Agreed.  The bonus money for Gausman was the only "prospect" in the deal.  If we squander it by not getting him signed, it becomes valueless.  They aren't going to sign $8M worth of $200k and $500k prospects.

Kevin Gausman is going to bump up over $10 million next year if not more. Combined with O'Day that's $20 million off the books. I have no problem with this deal.

#31 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 743 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

I hope we're not xxxxing away $6 million. Just how good are these Mesa brothers?

Eh, good, real good. VVM is a solid five tool guy. And it shouldn’t take long for him to be at the ML level.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

Kevin Gausman is going to bump up over $10 million next year if not more. Combined with O'Day that's $20 million off the books. I have no problem with this deal.

How does that saved money benefit you or any fan? You think they are gonna invest it so they can go above market supported payroll in the future? Maybe...
  • Mike B and DJ MC like this

#33 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:46 AM

Why isn't he? I just question how good this guy is playing in Banana Republic baseball??

This is the second time you have used Banana something league. Why do you use this term when talking about the international market or specifically the Mesa’s

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:47 AM

Why isn't he?

Because all teams are now limited to their international bonus cap.

A few years ago when that wasn't the case, many plyers got tens of millions. Yusniel Diaz cost the Dodgers $31M a coupLe years ago ($15.5M to Diaz, $15.5M to MLB tax).

#35 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:36 PM

How does that saved money benefit you or any fan? You think they are gonna invest it so they can go above market supported payroll in the future? Maybe...

It doesn't no question. It just gives us some, and key word is some, future flexibility as we carry that circus clown and his albatross contract. I'm still hopeful we can somehow move that worthless POS.

#36 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:40 PM

Eh, good, real good. VVM is a solid five tool guy. And it shouldn’t take long for him to be at the ML level.

Thanks for your perspective. I don't trust this organization in its Cuban development system. Seems like we've been down that road in the past with these Cubans. I also don't think we have a realistic shot at this guy. Why would he willingly come to the worst organization in baseball when he can settle into Miami?? t's like asking someone from Poland to live in Alaska.

#37 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:42 PM

This is the second time you have used Banana something league. Why do you use this term when talking about the international market or specifically the Mesa’s

Because Cuba is a banana republic in my opinion, maybe one level up from Venezuela.

#38 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

Because all teams are now limited to their international bonus cap.
A few years ago when that wasn't the case, many plyers got tens of millions. Yusniel Diaz cost the Dodgers $31M a coupLe years ago ($15.5M to Diaz, $15.5M to MLB tax).

Thanks for clarifying.

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

Why would he willingly come to the worst organization in baseball when he can settle into Miami??

Same reason any free agent signs anywhere: money.

The Orioles are allowed to offer him up to (approxomately) $7M. The Marlins are the team with the next highest allotment, and they are limited to (approx) $4M. He can get a lot more money from the O's than anywhere else.
  • DJ MC likes this

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:52 PM

I don't trust this organization in its Cuban development system. Seems like we've been down that road in the past with these Cubans

Urrutia and Alvarez signed for ~$750k back when teams could offer them whatever they wanted.

If Mesa was under the same rules, he'd get many, many times that. We are talking about a significantly different level of prospect.

Equating it to the draft: Mesa is a 1st round pick. Urrutia and Alvarez were 10th round or later guys.
  • Mike B and DJ MC like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners