368 replies to this topic

#361 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:28 PM

I hate what the Orioles do as much as anyone.

But to play devils advocate, the International market is still a lottery. Jonathan Schoop was a $90K 16-year old. Not some multi-million dollar guy. That turned out ok. I hope they at least stockpile their farm with as many of these cheap guys as they can and hope to get a few Schoop like production players for cheap out of it. If they pocket the money, screw em.

Yeah, no reason to get outbid on Gaston. No reason to waste money on that guy from Philly. The Orioles are still horrible as an organization. But if Gaston and the Mesa’s suck and a few of these youngsters makes an impact one day, well, thats a possible scenario is all I’m saying.
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#362 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

But to play devils advocate, the International market is still a lottery. Jonathan Schoop was a $90K 16-year old. Not some multi-million dollar guy. That turned out ok.

Talk about turning out ok....

"At age 16, [Jose] Altuve attended a Houston Astros' tryout camp in Maracay. However, the team's scouts declined to allow him to participate because they decided he was too short and they suspected that he had lied about his age. The next day, with encouragement from his father, Altuve returned to the camp and produced his birth certificate. Al Pedrique, then a special assistant for the Astros, asked Altuve, "Can you play?" Altuve looked him in the eye and said, 'I'll show you." Pedrique championed him to the front office, convincing them that he had the talent and strength to eventually play in the major leagues. The club gave him an evaluation, and, after he impressed team officials, they signed him to a contract as an undrafted free agent on March 6, 2007, with a $15,000 bonus."

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#363 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,585 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 October 2018 - 03:10 PM

But to play devils advocate, the International market is still a lottery. Jonathan Schoop was a $90K 16-year old. Not some multi-million dollar guy. That turned out ok. I hope they at least stockpile their farm with as many of these cheap guys as they can and hope to get a few Schoop like production players for cheap out of it. If they pocket the money, screw em.

Yeah, no reason to get outbid on Gaston. No reason to waste money on that guy from Philly. The Orioles are still horrible as an organization. But if Gaston and the Mesa’s suck and a few of these youngsters makes an impact one day, well, thats a possible scenario is all I’m saying.

I really think you nailed the true Oriole philosophy.  I think the Orioles can not bring them selves to be aggressive in the international market.  They use to  pretty much ignore it, and occasionally Dan would trade our $$$ for some useless cast off player, but now they seem to be comfortable with buying lower level players for reasonably cheap contracts.

I guess that is fine and an improvement ,over doing nothing, but don't trade for international slotting $$, when you can not bring yourself to actually spending them.

It pisses off your fans and it makes you the laughing stock of MLB.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@mikeghg

#364 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:33 AM

They are going to pocket much of this money.  They are already preparing to do so with their comments about investing it in the organization (AKA hiring people we already have to hire).  Sure, they'll sign some guys they have probably never heard of (because they don't have enough scouts anyway).  But the failure to sign the big guys all but ensures much of that cash never gets invested on players in the international market.

#365 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:39 AM

They are going to pocket much of this money.  They are already preparing to do so with their comments about investing it in the organization (AKA hiring people we already have to hire).  Sure, they'll sign some guys they have probably never heard of (because they don't have enough scouts anyway).  But the failure to sign the big guys all but ensures much of that cash never gets invested on players in the international market.

And maybe that's not a horrible thing this year.  Perhaps it is better to invest some of that money back in to scouting and other infrastructure, so that they can do better at the international game in the future.  IF that's what they do with it.

Notice the big 'if', and it is a big 'if'.  I'm not 100% sure I have the confidence in them actually doing that.  Sadly, my gut tells me they're going to sit on it. (I know, it's not a real pile of cash, but you get my point).

#366 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

And maybe that's not a horrible thing this year.  Perhaps it is better to invest some of that money back in to scouting and other infrastructure, so that they can do better at the international game in the future.  IF that's what they do with it.

Notice the big 'if', and it is a big 'if'.  I'm not 100% sure I have the confidence in them actually doing that.  Sadly, my gut tells me they're going to sit on it. (I know, it's not a real pile of cash, but you get my point).

They could have done every single thing you just said without giving Gausman to the Braves.

#367 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,472 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:34 AM

They could have done every single thing you just said without giving Gausman to the Braves.

Exactly.

I’m not sure why people (and thirteen, I am not saying you think this just to be clear) think we had to get rid of ODay to do those things.
@BSLRobShields

#368 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

Exactly.

I’m not sure why people (and thirteen, I am not saying you think this just to be clear) think we had to get rid of ODay to do those things.

Oh, I get it.  Perhaps they had good intentions with the Gausman trade.  My point was, from an internal bookkeeping standpoint, the Orioles had an allocation of $6.5MM for the international market.  Now that the big fish are gone and it's down to pickin's, I don't think it would be a horrible thing if, from an internal bookkeeping standpoint, they reallocate the remaining funds to start building the necessary international infrastructure.  They could even use the O'Day savings, too.

We all know they won't, but I'm just playing Armchair Angelos here.

#369 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,211 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:19 AM

Oh, I get it.  Perhaps they had good intentions with the Gausman trade.  My point was, from an internal bookkeeping standpoint, the Orioles had an allocation of $6.5MM for the international market.  Now that the big fish are gone and it's down to pickin's, I don't think it would be a horrible thing if, from an internal bookkeeping standpoint, they reallocate the remaining funds to start building the necessary international infrastructure.  They could even use the O'Day savings, too.

We all know they won't, but I'm just playing Armchair Angelos here.

I get the bookkeeping POV, that a dollar not spent here, can be spent there, but that's implying there's a finite amount of dollars to spend. There isn't though, it's a self imposed cap, and they could easily build anything without touching that 6.5m. The problem is that the league allows every team a certain amount to spend every year to make it even amongst all the teams, and this team won't use it, or use it well. Which means they are falling behind every team in the league even with a fair play rule in place. There's just no excuse for that.

Where do you draw the line on that? Oh, we aren't going to spend our 1st through 10th draft picks this year, we are just going to allocate the money we would have spent to other areas in the organization.

They are treading dangerously close to a line where MLB will take away small market share money because they are not using it to try to remain competitive with the league as they are supposed to do. The Marlins got in trouble for this a couple years ago.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners