751 replies to this topic

#101 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

I'd happily take those odds.  My beer against your pitcher at the next BSL happy hour?

As Brian would say: "I'll drink to that."

#102 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

Not directed at me, but I completely agree. He's a FA it's not like he has any control left, so we are stealing the next 6 years of control of Yanks/Sox prospects and in turn they get a couple months of Manny with ZERO guarantee he signs there. Sure, he could, but he's going to the open market, and he's going to take the biggest deal, so there's not much advantage that dealing for him now gives you. If anything it could hurt you, if it's a bad experience with the media or fans there, not that I think that will happen, but could. Either way, you are weakening them by taking prospects from them, and not necessarily making them better past this year.

I think Harper goes west coast, since he's a Vegas boy at heart. I could see him going to ARZ in a surprise, but more likely LAD. MIA is a disaster right now, so that hometown nostalgia thing is out for Manny, I could easily see him in PHI, he knows that FO well already. I could see him with NYY maybe, I doubt BOS, I just don't see them giving out a mega deal this year with a bunch of upcoming FA to extend. CHI I feel like will get involved, not like they can afford to build around him, but you know there's always that one team that doesn't belong in it, but they get in there anyway.

You know who I think I would check in on if I were Manny? Toronto. They have one of the most insane groups of prospects coming up at the same time, and they are going to be REALLY good soon. If they find some more pitching to pair with it (I told them that Thor trade was going to haunt them) they are going to be really tough to beat for 5-6 years of Manny's next contract.

I like your Toronto argument but I doubt Rogers Communications digs $350 million deep in their pockets. I might be wrong. They got toasted for letting Encarnarcion walk. Maybe they will be that team that nobody expects to get involved. I just wouldn't bet heavy on it happening. But i do like your thought process. Very creative.

#103 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

Heard Bowden on the radio today....Said offers made to Orioles are for a package that includes Machado and Britton.

Roll Tide

#104 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:30 PM

No way Manny signs with Toronto. Crappy market and not enough shining lights for his ego.

#105 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 122,053 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

No way Manny signs with Toronto. Crappy market and not enough shining lights for his ego.

Huge, beautiful world class city by all accounts...but agree, do see him going somewhere more star driven.

(Plus dont see Toronto paying what it would take.)

#106 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:40 PM

Huge, beautiful world class city by all accounts...but agree, do see him going somewhere more star driven.

(Plus dont see Toronto paying what it would take.)

Oh for gods sake. There is zero chance manny signs in Toronto! Zero!

#107 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:50 AM

I understand his POV but a couple of things here.

1. I do agree with you above about NY is just going to be a 90+ win machine. Theyll likely find a way to cover for any of the production the prospects they trade us would give them. They likey wont miss them. Thats the whole point of them giving us the best offer. If they legit beat out LA and Mil and offer us a a Top 25 guy in Sheffield then by all means the Os should take it. We're talking about B level, generally the same caliber prospects.

2. Trading Manny there this year IMO gives NY the advantage in resigning him. I think thats his likely destination either way but he can play 3b there. He can get to know the new teammates, Boone, the city, the media. I know some will say that could work against NY but I dont see that being the case. Unless for whatever reason he doesnt get comfortable there.

3. Im against helping the Yanks (or Sox) chances of getting a title. Make me have no choice but to trade you Manny.

I don't think you're going to have to concern yourself with the latter. Boston's system is very thin at this point; they've traded a lot of prospects away in the past few years.

Acquiring Manny now, should they do so, won't give the Yankees any leg up in terms of re-signing Manny. The fact that they're the Yankees and have the resources to sign him should they decide to do so gives them all the advantage they need.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#108 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:05 AM

I agree. Toronto hasn't been a consistent contender. Another hurdle they face, is the tax difference. Toronto has to offer well above the next highest price, so the player in question can net the same pay.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#109 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,841 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

I agree. Toronto hasn't been a consistent contender. Another hurdle they face, is the tax difference. Toronto has to offer well above the next highest price, so the player in question can net the same pay.

Yeah that's the biggest hurdle I think. A couple years ago when the dollar was weaker MAYBE there was a financial argument. It's a LOT of money to pony up, but we gotta ask. At one time TOR was a dynasty, and they threw around payroll. Are they a sleeping giant? How is their long term sustainability? Questions we won't get a clear answer on. I have this nagging suspicion that they are doing better than they seem, and are just kinda waiting for the right time to go in.

If I'm a MLB free agent, I know I'm gonna get paid, that's not really an issue, but if I'm considering where to go, there are probably 2 major non-financial conditions. One, like was mentioned, is the media, and the "brand" you create by going there. Do you need the lights, and constant attention? Or are you a guy that likes to be part of the team and not the face of it? The other one though is being a contender. You want a team that not only can compete NOW, but that WILL be a contender for a good stretch of your contract. Signing with a team that's stacked now, but has a lot of pending FA coming up or may decide to slash payroll and retool might waste half your contract. The Yanks are on the come up again with those younger guys they brought in, and they constantly spend, so that's always going to be a potential landing spot. The question for them is how much luxury tax they are willing to pay. BOS is getting kinda close to a crossroads, some of the youth isn't panning out, some guys are getting close to FA, they are ok now, but how are they in 3-4 years?

LA looks closer to the end of a run than the beginning, they may retool soon, but they are large market enough they can build a team through FA like the Yanks if they choose.

I'm personally watching teams and looking for that team like the Astros a couple years ago which was clearly about to get good fast, and was going to be a contender for a good 5 years or so. TOR is that team right now. The O's are going to suck, TB is going to suck. They will always have some form of NYY and BOS to worry about, but if you're about to sign a 7 year deal somewhere you want to make sure the team will be good in that stretch. Kinda like Jason Werth did back when he signed with the Nats. He knew they were a year or two away still but could see they were going to have a nucleus competing for most of his contract. He took the risk and landed on a winner for a good portion of his deal.

Preface all this with, I don't think it's LIKELY it happens, just saying a smart FA would consider it, and if they do have money they are holding back, I could see them being that dark horse that jumps in and everyone goes WHHHHAAAAAT? Signing one of the uber-FA and then trading for a big time SP (and they MORE than have the farm system to do it) and with Bichette, Guererro, and Biggio coming up, they could be an AL favorite from 2020-25 easily.

@JeremyMStrain

#110 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

Here's the thing with Toronto compared to teams like the Dodgers and Yankees.  Toronto could try and build for an extended run but they can just as easily decide to do nothing.

The Dodgers and Yankees will always have the money and management direction to be on the cusp of a big run. As soon as they are down a year or two boom and they are back at the top.

#111 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,841 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

Here's the thing with Toronto compared to teams like the Dodgers and Yankees.  Toronto could try and build for an extended run but they can just as easily decide to do nothing.

The Dodgers and Yankees will always have the money and management direction to be on the cusp of a big run. As soon as they are down a year or two boom and they are back at the top.

With a group like they have coming, it'll be an extended run. You can't compare the recent middling years. Much like the O's from 98-2012 they were just bad enough to not get any better. Finishing in the middle of the bottom teams gets you no where, and drafting poorly and not using IFA gets you there faster. TOR has been big in the latter 2, and their farm system is INSANE right now. Guys not even on their "top 20" prospect lists before the season are leading leagues in major offensive stats. (I use the quotations cause those top prospect lists mean nothing really...I've done a few myself, and I know I played around with mine to make a point)

The Yanks just went through a 5 year stretch of not competing really. They got kinda lucky a couple draft picks panned out...or more accurately had good drafts which led to them getting back into contention quickly, but they had a lot of bad contracts they had to clear out for a little bit...and their managing is still a little suspect. The Dodgers are about to blow it up and gut things soon...I'd think it'll coincide with Kershaw's new contract, they've got some major holes to fill, especially offensively, and haven't been happy about their luxury rates.

TOR at least used to routinely be at the top of the league in payroll (for those of us who don't remember the early 90's Blue Jays), and I know this is a new group leading them, but they've got money in there somewhere if they choose to use it. None of us know if they will do it or not cause they haven't been close enough to competing in years to pull the trigger.

The worst place to be in baseball is in the middle of the division. At the top you have a chance to win it all. At the bottom you'll retool and restock fast enough that in a couple years you'll be able to make a run. In the middle you fool yourself into thinking you are just a piece or two away, when you really don't have a chance, and then the picks you get don't make enough of an impact to get you to contention before your good pieces hit FA and move on. They are going to come out of that pack area really soon...just wait.

@JeremyMStrain

#112 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

Manny will get his 300/10 but Bryce Harper won't. Harper is a BAD contract waiting to happen.

#113 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

Manny will get his 300/10 but Bryce Harper won't. Harper is a BAD contract waiting to happen.

Manny's contract will be bad too.

#114 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

Posted this in the other Machado thread as well.

@Ken_Rosenthal
#Phillies have increased their offer for #Orioles' Machado, sources tell The Athletic. #Dodgers and #Yankees remain strongest. #Brewers fading, #DBacks on periphery.

Standard caveat applies: Trade talks are fluid, and one text or call can change dynamic of discussions.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#115 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,707 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

Sucks we have to wait until after the ASB for anything to happen.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#116 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:16 PM

Sucks we have to wait until after the ASB for anything to happen.

No kidding. If the O's are waiting as they think a better offer is imminent then great. If they are holding off so Manny can wear an O's jersey at the AS game then that's just stupid. I could care less about the AS game in general and for sure don't give a damn what uniform Manny is wearing at it. He is leaving and if I never see him in an O's uniform again to be it. But I have no desire to watch him trot out on Tuesday in and O's uniform.

Get on with it if you have a good deal.

#117 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 122,053 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:24 PM

You'd think if anything they'd want him in another uniform at the game.

If he's wearing an O's uniform that 1) Just gives attention to the O's miserable season, 2) Reminds that Machado won't be wearing an O's uniform soon.

#118 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 122,053 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

ESPN: Manny Machado's top 12 landing spots and MLB's next big thing
http://www.espn.com/...-next-big-thing

#119 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,707 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:33 PM

No kidding. If the O's are waiting as they think a better offer is imminent then great. If they are holding off so Manny can wear an O's jersey at the AS game then that's just stupid. I could care less about the AS game in general and for sure don't give a damn what uniform Manny is wearing at it. He is leaving and if I never see him in an O's uniform again to be it. But I have no desire to watch him trot out on Tuesday in and O's uniform.

Get on with it if you have a good deal.

Yes but you must think of the children.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#120 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

You'd think if anything they'd want him in another uniform at the game.

If he's wearing an O's uniform that 1) Just gives attention to the O's miserable season, 2) Reminds that Machado won't be wearing an O's uniform soon.

But no Oriole at the AS game in DC? Blasphemy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users