Good run down Bob, thanks.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

@Ken_Rosenthal 5h5 hours ago

#DodgersLADodgers2018.png, #Brewers most serious for #OriolesMachado, sources tell The Athletic. #Indians also in mix, though taking on rest of Machado’s $16M might be obstacle. Question remains: Will O’s ownership view offers practically or slow down process by asking for other players?

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,704 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

What’s interesting about the Dodgers is how they have been in the past with these deals, as noted by Bob. But, at what point do they say they have to really go after things?

I mean, they are one of those desperate teams I have talked some about. They have a lot of good OF prospects. If it takes Verdugo and May to get the deal, so be it. Why would you scoff at that? The Dodgers can buy whatever they want. They will spend money on anything. They can replenish the loss of Verdugo almost immediately.

They also become a clear contender to sign Manny. Turner can play second, so an opening can be made and obviously, if they want to, they can pay the money to land Manny.

• BSLSteveBirrer and Crouseman like this
@BSLRobShields

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:34 PM

Would love to see Manny go to the Brewers. They have a good team up there.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 Crouseman

Crouseman

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

What’s interesting about the Dodgers is how they have been in the past with these deals, as noted by Bob. But, at what point do they say they have to really go after things?

I mean, they are one of those desperate teams I have talked some about. They have a lot of good OF prospects. If it takes Verdugo and May to get the deal, so be it. Why would you scoff at that? The Dodgers can buy whatever they want. They will spend money on anything. They can replenish the loss of Verdugo almost immediately.

They also become a clear contender to sign Manny. Turner can play second, so an opening can be made and obviously, if they want to, they can pay the money to land Manny.

Good point.  Never thought about Turner at second.  I think second has been a hole for them.  Wow, what an infield 2019.  Manny, Seager, Turner Bellinger.  I think the Dodgers are foolish if they don't go all in.  They blew it last year not getting Britton.  Bullpen and Jansen imploded worse that Houston.  How many shots at the ring are you going to get??  They don't give parades for having 5 prospects in the top 100, LOL!!!!

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,704 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:39 PM

Good point. Never thought about Turner at second. I think second has been a hole for them. Wow, what an infield 2019. Manny, Seager, Turner Bellinger. I think the Dodgers are foolish if they don't go all in. They blew it last year not getting Britton. Bullpen and Jansen imploded worse that Houston. How many shots at the ring are you going to get?? They don't give parades for having 5 prospects in the top 100, LOL!!!!

And if you are them, do you really want to pour a bunch of money into 30+ y/o Kershaw, who keeps having injury issues now?
@BSLRobShields

#8 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

@MASNRoch
Some teams interested in Machado have been checking whether #orioles would include Britton, Brach or Givens in the deal. O's really hesitant to part with Givens while under team control through 2021. Would be "very tough," per a source
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#9 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

@Buster_ESPN
Source on where the Orioles seem to be in their Manny Machado trade process: "(Opponents') Thirty-five yard-line, and driving."
@ChaosLex

#10 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,492 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

Yeah, draw the line over a mediocre reliever just because he's cheap. Can't give him away, but don't be ridiculous.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

@Buster_ESPN
Source on where the Orioles seem to be in their Manny Machado trade process: "(Opponents') Thirty-five yard-line, and driving."

Plenty of time for Angelos to take a bad 3rd down sack moving us outside of FG range.
  • OldSchool likes this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:51 PM

I'd have a high price on Givens. Not outrageous, but I think there is a real good chance he has better value in the future. If he helps you get better people back for Manny, do it, but I don't deal him by himself for some fringey guy like DJ Stewart or Cedric Mullins.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#13 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

Plenty of time for Angelos to take a bad 3rd down sack moving us outside of FG range.

I LOLed when someone on Twitter said plenty of time for PA to intercept. XD
@ChaosLex

#14 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

If Chris Ray 2.0 gets you over the hump on the prospect(s) you want you better pull the damn trigger. The guy is going to be a mediocre closer on a 65 win team the next 3 years

#15 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

I'd have a high price on Givens. Not outrageous, but I think there is a real good chance he has better value in the future. If he helps you get better people back for Manny, do it, but I don't deal him by himself for some fringey guy like DJ Stewart or Cedric Mullins.

Better chance he is a mediocre closer who inflates his arb salary with saves and needs to be given away(ala Jim Johnson) by '21 than becoming a good trade piece in his last year or two

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

I like Givens more than Nickle, but I agree with the general point.

Not just throwing him in though...for his addition, he has to put you over the top with what you want.

#17 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

@Buster_ESPN

Buster Olney always dreaming away. Are we in the Red Zone yet, Buster? LOL

#18 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, draw the line over a mediocre reliever just because he's cheap. Can't give him away, but don't be ridiculous.

Ditto. Never been a Givens fan. Too inconsistent. Give me an A ball mid prospect and I'm good. Bullpen needs total overhaul anyways.

#19 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

DJ and Cedric "fringey"? Yikes!

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

Better chance he is a mediocre closer who inflates his arb salary with saves and needs to be given away(ala Jim Johnson) by '21 than becoming a good trade piece in his last year or two

I'm not saying the price is a top 109 prospect. Just that I don't move him for someone who likely doesn't move the needle.

If he gets you over the top on the package you want for Machado, I move him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners