#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

I get that its coach speak but Buck is full of it....this team, including him, does not have the ability, talent, mental mindset, or anything else to flip the second half around to make the season even respectable.

Just get the youth movement going. Get on with the trades and personnel changes.

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

I get that its coach speak but Buck is full of it....this team, including him, does not have the ability, talent, mental mindset, or anything else to flip the second half around to make the season even respectable.

Just get the youth movement going. Get on with the trades and personnel changes.

He's not full of it, it's true.  It doesn't really matter, but it still true.  This is the worst-worst case.  Doesn't really matter how or why at this point but when you say the team lacks the talent, I disagree.  In fact, teams are lining up to try and steal the Orioles talent (probably won't pay for it, but they'll still want it).  They could easily run off 8 of 10 (or whatever) and it only changes the 'worst team ever' outlook.  I don't like the 'worst' stuff so I I'd rather they do better and draft 5th.  I don't want the first pick.

I'm not holding anything together, it doesn't matter, so I'll all for making the personnel changes.  I don't really care specifically about 'youth movement', but get on with building the next team, whoever they are.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

That's a line and a half. So easy to say but you have zero evidence that its even remotely true at this point. Lets look at that facts. There have been several trades around the league already this summer. None of them involving the O's. So just who are these teams that are "lining up to steal the Orioles talent"? If the O's had as much talent as you insinuate then why haven't they made some moves already? Certainly they may well make some trades but the O's talent. Besides Manny just what talent do the O's have that teams are going to line up for? 

He's not full of it, it's true.  It doesn't really matter, but it still true.  This is the worst-worst case.  Doesn't really matter how or why at this point but when you say the team lacks the talent, I disagree.  In fact, teams are lining up to try and steal the Orioles talent (probably won't pay for it, but they'll still want it).  They could easily run off 8 of 10 (or whatever) and it only changes the 'worst team ever' outlook.  I don't like the 'worst' stuff so I I'd rather they do better and draft 5th.  I don't want the first pick.

I'm not holding anything together, it doesn't matter, so I'll all for making the personnel changes.  I don't really care specifically about 'youth movement', but get on with building the next team, whoever they are.

#5 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

Well, I do think the team can play a lot better obviously. A lot of guys are playing really, really bad that are a lot better imo (certain guys: Mancini, Schoop, Beckham, Sisco, Givens etc. concern me more than others). I don't think the team is that far off from the Jays and Rays (and probably quite a few others). That said, the gap between the Yankees/Sox (and a few others) is pretty wide right now imo. I care more about evaluating some of the young talent (assuming they are ready) in the second half than about winning any more games and mitigating a horrible record.  

I get Davis has to play regularly so we can further evaluate him. I could do with less of Trumbo if there's enough young talent, or even marginal young talent, to displace him in the second half. I don't need to see any more of Gentyr or Rasmus. I hope they can deal Valencia. 

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

That's a line and a half. So easy to say but you have zero evidence that its even remotely true at this point. Lets look at that facts. There have been several trades around the league already this summer. None of them involving the O's. So just who are these teams that are "lining up to steal the Orioles talent"? If the O's had as much talent as you insinuate then why haven't they made some moves already? Certainly they may well make some trades but the O's talent. Besides Manny just what talent do the O's have that teams are going to line up for? 

Manny, Jones, Britton, Brach are all going to draw interest.

Schoop, Givens, ODay (if he could stay healthy), even Trumbo will have interest.

Mancini, Gausman and Bundy would draw lots of interest if they put them on the table.

Valencia was probably a moderately better fit for Boston before Pearce.

-----------

Why haven't the Orioles made deals?  Seriously?

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Well, I do think the team can play a lot better obviously. A lot of guys are playing really, really bad that are a lot better imo ....

....different thread, but there's actually a lot of this going on around baseball right now.

#8 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

....different thread, but there's actually a lot of this going on around baseball right now.

Yeah, we've definitely seen a shift from what we saw last year. Certainly in the AL. That said I'm not sure the AL fallout/separation is that surprising either. 

#9 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:59 PM

Dude expressing interest I agree with. But to me that's a whole different level than "lining up to steal the O's talent."

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:02 PM

Dude expressing interest I agree with. But to me that's a whole different level than "lining up to steal the O's talent."

Yeah, you are reading it wrong.  

The Orioles have talent other teams want.  Teams want to give up nothing to get it.  Stealing as in get it for nothing.

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

I think its a matter of degree. I think we have less talent than you do. But for sure whatever level we do have other teams will have interest and certainly want it for nothing.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 76,695 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:24 AM

I still can’t believe everyone that started the season in Baltimore still have their same jobs.
@BSLRobShields

#13 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:40 AM

I still can’t believe everyone that started the season in Baltimore still have their same jobs.

Coolbaugh stands out in that regard.

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 76,695 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

It’s not really his fault...it’s not really any of these guys faults.

But that’s not really the point. It would likely be making a change for S and G but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t happen.

You have to show some level of accountability.
@BSLRobShields

#15 jamesdean

jamesdean
  • Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

It’s not really his fault...it’s not really any of these guys faults.

But that’s not really the point. It would likely be making a change for S and G but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t happen.

You have to show some level of accountability.

"Accountability" being the operative word.   There is none on this team and it starts with Showalter.  The inmates took a hold of this asylum before the year even started when Manny demanded to be put at short stop and got his way.  

• CA-ORIOLE and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#16 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

It’s not really his fault...

This may be a larger point going to back to some of the things that a lot of guys are struggling with across baseball and I'm not much of a 'fire the hitting (or pitching) coach' guy...

...but was watching the game 4-5 weeks ago and Bordick kept talking about how Coolbaugh was 'working with everyone' on trying to hit the ball to the opposite field.  Then showed some BP where he was working with different guys...

I'm not sure why we'd be doing that...I'm not saying don't hit the ball the other way...I'm suggesting that every hitter is different and the only thing the hitting coach needs to do is maximize whatever opportunity your skill allows you....and not try to cookie cutter every hitter because "we want to hit the ball to all fields".

Felt like they were pushing some larger organizational shift. <<smh>>

#17 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:15 PM

On a side note, if Buck sticks through the entire season, he will finish his tenure with the O's below .500. He's been above .500 since 2012. 

#18 Guest_pitbull_*

Guest_pitbull_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

I’m really looking forward to this team barely winning 50 games, then hearing Dan Duquette’s excuses (“Players didn’t live up to their potential,” etc or their “track records”) in the hours before he is fired.

Duquette really hyped Santander on the Opening Day broadcast, noting that he led the Grapefruit League in RBIs. Well that’s really exciting Dan, he still isn’t ready to play at the Major League level. Just another example about Duquette’s waning ability to evaluate young talent.

#19 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:21 PM

After 97 games:

1988 Orioles 31-66

2010 Orioles 31-66

2018 Orioles 28-69

Might I also mention...when Buck Showalter took over in 2010 as manager, the Orioles had a 32-73 record, their worst-ever after 105 games (though the 1955 Orioles were very close at 32-72-1). The 2018 Orioles will have to go 4-4 over their next eight games to match that, and 6-2 to match the '88 team's 34-71.

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean
  • Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:51 AM

After 97 games:

1988 Orioles 31-66

2010 Orioles 31-66

2018 Orioles 28-69

Might I also mention...when Buck Showalter took over in 2010 as manager, the Orioles had a 32-73 record, their worst-ever after 105 games (though the 1955 Orioles were very close at 32-72-1). The 2018 Orioles will have to go 4-4 over their next eight games to match that, and 6-2 to match the '88 team's 34-71.

I thought that '88 team would never be surpassed for futility but wow, they seem determined to make it happen. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners