• Please log in to reply
1010 replies to this topic

#41 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

Did they say this when he was signed, or a year earlier when Cruz and Markakis were in free agency? That's the issue we're debating: not whether the money paid to Davis was only for him in 2015, but whether resigning Cruz and Markakis for a similar amount in 2014 would have prevented them from resigning Davis later. If you are saying that the Orioles would have signed Davis to that same contract anyway, that's fine, but then you're really arguing two separate points ("The Orioles shouldn't have signed Davis"; "The Orioles should have resigned Cruz and Markakis") instead of the one combined point you've been seeming to push ("The Orioles resigned Davis instead of Cruz+Markakis, and that was a bad decision").

I think that, at the time, resigning Cruz would have been a bad gamble, and one which turned out poorly--we aren't the first people to give up pumping cash into a slot machine right before it pays out. I would have been fine with resigning Markakis, but I think the decision to let him walk was reasonable given the past three seasons. I thought that the Davis deal was one the team would regret, like many, but I also am pretty sure I know what the fanbase reaction would have been had they not resigned him (whether or not you or I or anyone else as individuals would have been OK), and I definitely felt it would be more of a year-to-year consistency problem with a tail-off at the end as opposed to stalling into a nose dive right through rock bottom. But I don't think the two free-agency periods have much in common, other than the Orioles having money in 2015 that they wouldn't have had otherwise. And I don't think that letting Cruz and Markakis walk was anything more than good process coming up with a bad result.

"The Orioles resigned Davis instead of Cruz+Markakis, and that was a bad decision" - Sorry that I gave you the impression that this was my argument. It's not, I would have to be clairvoyant to know the O's would extend Davis 3 years later. I'm not  ;)
It's more along the lines of, if not signing them ultimately resulted in signing Davis, then I would have preferred to have the other two guys. 

Regarding your second paragraph, all good points. I agree with you. I'll share my thoughts that I posted at the time. I think they should have signed Cruz. From what was reported, the O's were offering 3 years, he wanted 4. They were on the same page as far as the $ per year. I thought it was a safe bet that Cruz would be an equally productive player for 3 more years. And if he tailed off in year 4, that's OK, because the team would probably be looking at a make over by then. I chalk it up to the cost of doing business. My heart wanted Nick to stay. But I understood the reasoning. He had the neck issue, and he was losing a step in the OF. I also thought the O's would and could find a comparable replacement.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#42 CMU27

CMU27
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

No K's for Abyss, but yet another 0 for 4, with 4 LOB.  The 'five' hole is the black hole when he is senselessly put at that spot in the order.

(then again, so would the 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th spots if he is placed there)

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#43 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

No K's for Abyss, but yet another 0 for 4, with 4 LOB.  The 'five' hole is the black hole when he is senselessly put at that spot in the order.

(then again, so would the 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th spots if he is placed there)

Down to .153...can we get into the .140's by the end of the week?   :cool:

• CMU27 likes this

#44 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

Down to .153...can we get into the .140's by the end of the week?   :cool:

If you listen to Buck, he thinks the "re-set" worked wonders.   

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#45 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

If you listen to Buck, he thinks the "re-set" worked wonders.   

Here's the ultimate paradox...Brady throwing batting practice to him and Brady more than likely, would be hitting higher than .153 at the age of 54. 

#46 CMU27

CMU27
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

I would love to give it a try, and hit .153 at age 60 (I sure could use that money!).

#47 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

I would love to give it a try, and hit .153 at age 60 (I sure could use that money!).

At least you wouldn't be staring at 3rd base when the pitch was coming towards the plate! (LOL)

• CMU27 likes this

#48 CMU27

CMU27
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

8 for 50, with 16 or 17 Ks (not sure due to an ESPN error) since the 'sabbatical'....as well as moved up to 5th in the order yet again.  Time for another 'reboot'.

#49 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:06 AM

8 for 50, with 16 or 17 Ks (not sure due to an ESPN error) since the 'sabbatical'....as well as moved up to 5th in the order yet again.  Time for another 'reboot'.

The next reboot will be either DFA or retirement. 

#50 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:11 AM

No reboot, I want him in the line up each game. Following the trajectory of his career, the Crusher may flirt with hitting below .100 next season. And I want to see that happen. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#51 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:39 AM

No reboot, I want him in the line up each game. Following the trajectory of his career, the Crusher may flirt with hitting below .100 next season. And I want to see that happen. 

Keep in mind, that if he accumulates enough at bats and qualifies to be ranked for average, .179 is the record.  Keep him in the line-up, Buck!!  We're witnessing record breaking futility. 

• weird-O likes this

#52 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:34 AM

I thought he looked pretty good yesterday - a line drive to the left side, another line drive to right, and a home run robbed by a leaping catch over the wall.  Good results, but bad luck.  He did manage to tie Cal for most career strikeouts by an Oriole, though.

#53 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,907 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

I thought he looked pretty good yesterday - a line drive to the left side, another line drive to right, and a home run robbed by a leaping catch over the wall.  Good results, but bad luck.  He did manage to tie Cal for most career strikeouts by an Oriole, though.

Not only is he tied for the third-lowest BABIP in MLB this season, but in the 13 games since coming back from his "reboot" his BA is .160, and his BABIP is .161.

@DJ_McCann

#54 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

He's had enough time to get back to his old self, and he's failed. At this point, he either accepts time at AAA or go to the house. I wouldn't say he couldn't get back in the groove at some point, but he needs to prove he can do so without killing our MLB lineup.

#55 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,907 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

He's had enough time to get back to his old self, and he's failed. At this point, he either accepts time at AAA or go to the house. I wouldn't say he couldn't get back in the groove at some point, but he needs to prove he can do so without killing our MLB lineup.

What is dead may never die.

@DJ_McCann

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,956 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

I would normally agree that Davis not accepting a minor league assignment is a huge stain on his character. But the team is so bad and the season is so indisputably lost, that is it really any different for him to be trying to straighten things out here versus Norfolk? It's not like any of his outs actually hurt the team. The team is dead, you can't hurt it.

I dont expect a big or even moderate bounce back from him. But I also don't see any downside to running him out there every day to try and get something back. Besides aesthetics, he's brutal to watch. But that's pretty meaningless.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#57 CMU27

CMU27
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

Heard it from Bob Haney this morning.......as I listened last night (and was skipped over by the O's announcer), was that Abyss tied Cal's career record for strikeouts as an Oriole. 

Cal ...21+ years, the black hole 7+. 

An honor well deserved.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#58 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

Heard it from Bob Haney this morning.......as I listened last night (and was skipped over by the O's announcer), was that Abyss tied Cal's career record for strikeouts as an Oriole. 

An honor well deserved.

Too bad they're on the road tonight, or else they could stop the game for a little ceremony when he breaks the record.

• CMU27 likes this

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,228 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

An honor well deserved.

I generally don't get worked up about strikeouts (though yeah, obviously Davis k's too much)... but did see this, and it is fairly remarkable.  Part of it is the direct players involved, but another part is how the game has changed. 

#60 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

I generally don't get worked up about strikeouts (though yeah, obviously Davis k's too much)... but did see this, and it is fairly remarkable.  Part of it is the direct players involved, but another part is how the game has changed. 

Davis is a strikeout machine but you're right, the game has gradually moved in that direction for several years now.  He's got a lot of company with no end in sight. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners