Photo

Camden Chat: Will 2018 be the worst Baltimore Orioles team ever?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,372 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

https://www.camdench...efense-pitching

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:23 PM

https://www.camdench...efense-pitching

I think it will wind up being the worst Oriole team ever.

The 1988 team turned out to have a lovable loser feel to it after the agony of 21 in a row.

This team has nothing to love about it.

Maybe they eventually decide to get some of the young players up and we have some fun, with that, but as of now, they are very hard to watch.

@mikeghg

#3 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,515 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:08 AM

Yes and it won't even be close.

They're easily 10 games worse than '88.

They'll finish with one of the 10 worst records in modern baseball.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

10 games worse than '88 would be 117 losses.  That'd be worse than all but the '03 Tigers (119) and '62 Mets (120) in losses since the season was expanded to 162 games.

Possible, but I think they eventually play some near-500 baseball for a several week stretch.  Probably in August or September after the deadline. 

Currently, we're on pace for 116 losses.  So to get to 117 losses things would actually have to go even worse from this point forward than they have up until now.  I keep thinking things can't get worse and yet every step of the way that's been wrong, so entirely possible the death spiral gets even steeper.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,372 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

I would imagine they'll play better at some point. It's a long year, and even when they sell off.... there is much more talent here vs. '88.

It's mind boggling to me that it's mid-June and they have a sub .300 winning percentage. They've earned their record. They've been horrible.

I just don't think they can continue to be this inept.

In '10, they were 32-73 when Buck took over on August 3rd.  They went 34-23 the rest of the way.

Something like that is what I expect.

#6 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,515 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:26 AM

10 games worse than '88 would be 117 losses.  That'd be worse than all but the '03 Tigers (119) and '62 Mets (120) in losses since the season was expanded to 162 games.

Possible, but I think they eventually play some near-500 baseball for a several week stretch.  Probably in August or September after the deadline. 

Currently, we're on pace for 116 losses.  So to get to 117 losses things would actually have to go even worse from this point forward than they have up until now.  I keep thinking things can't get worse and yet every step of the way that's been wrong, so entirely possible the death spiral gets even steeper.

Mackus, Mackus, Mackus...

August and September is when this team goes into hibernation. It's happened countless times throughout the years. You think they're capable of playing .500 ball when other teams are stepping up their game to make a run at the postseason?

This team definitely has a 5-25 month in them come August and September. No doubt in my mind.

They've got 19 wins now. To win 69 they've got to go 50-45. To win 59, 40-55. To win 49, 30-65.

With this historically awful roster, 39 wins seems like a possibility right now.

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

One thing I disagree with in the article. They talked about the terrible Tiger team that was awful two straight years and that this is only a 2018 bad run. Pointing out that they were "in playoff contention on September 1st".  Last years team was awful. They had a great start and combined that with a very off year across the board to be in playoff contention.  But they stunk and we all know it.

This is a two year bad run and NOTHING has changed to stem the tide.

#8 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

Magic eight ball says yes.

#9 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

I thought of a major difference between 1988 and this year. I don't recall (and perhaps time has dulled my memory) the front office telling us we were going to make a run in 1988. This year may end up with a better record than 1988 but as far as the worst year ever, its going to be this one and its not even close.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,372 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:03 AM

I thought of a major difference between 1988 and this year. I don't recall (and perhaps time has dulled my memory) the front office telling us we were going to make a run in 1988. This year may end up with a better record than 1988 but as far as the worst year ever, its going to be this one and its not even close.

Ohh, no doubt... there has never been a season with at-least minimal expectations, and the results this poor.

#11 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

For the life of me, I don't see why people expect them to play better.  They will trade Manny and others.  And, they have honestly no one who is ready to call up and contribute.  The lineup before long will consist only of underachieving failures and guys who should be in the majors to begin with.

How's that for some optimism?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners