16 replies to this topic

#1 BSLBrandonWarne

BSLBrandonWarne

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, Minn.

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

I think the Cleveland Indians are the perfect fit for Manny Machado.

Look:

http://baltimorespor...-manny-machado/

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

Yep.  Cleveland certainly makes a ton of sense.  I just want the best deal possible.  

@BSLRobShields

#3 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

One thought to build on what Brandon discussed: Would Mychal Givens give the Orioles more leverage? I know his walk rate is high this year, but so is Brach's and Britton still comes with a lot of questions.

Looking at this from Cleveland's stand point, trading for Machado is World Series or bust because there's no way he can be re-signed after the season. Givens is at least under contract beyond this year, and he's younger than O'Day. In other words, acquiring Givens means having a bullpen piece that can be counted on for a few seasons, which Cleveland needs given that the bullpen is under performing this year and in a state of flux for 2019 and beyond. If nothing else, he can be flipped down the road. 

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

Givens should absolutely be on the table but you do need something good back.

Brach is a sweetner imo. Givens is more than that.
@BSLRobShields

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:38 PM

I think the Cleveland Indians are the perfect fit for Manny Machado.

Look:

http://baltimorespor...-manny-machado/

Good stuff Brandon and I think something that could get done.

I think Mejia, would be a good starting spot.

I would think there might need to  be an infielder in the mix somewhere.

The Indians have a SS named Chang, who is supposedly more of a defensive guy, but he could be a piece also.

@mikeghg

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:45 PM

Would the Orioles be dumb enough to hold onto Manny through the AS game because he may start the game and they want him in an Os uni doing that?

@BSLRobShields

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

Would the Orioles be dumb enough to hold onto Manny through the AS game because he may start the game and they want him in an Os uni doing that?

In a word, yes.

Who cares about Mr Manfred's AS game, the Orioles sure shouldn't.

@mikeghg

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:50 AM

One of the Indians was on MLB Radio on the drive home yesterday and they apparently really like this Erik Gonzalez kid that producing right now (.900+ OPS).  He may be more of a utility guy longer term, but he's supposedly really pushing Kipnis as JK has struggled and was moved down in the lineup.

I think Machado made more sense before the season. 

He could still work there, but Schoop would still seem the better fit with a year of service including next year.  Of course Schoop has been pretty terrible so far this year too, but maybe he has his hot months saved up.

The bullpen needs are real so there's something to work there.

The Indians beat writer specifically mentioned Kelvin Herrera and Givens and Brach.

I'd typically wait to deal Givens, but for the right player now, you move him.  The control would certainly interest CLE, given their other situations.

Indians are also giving some other SP options recent opportunity and McKenzie has just made 2 starts so far this year, so if you could sell high on Givens and buy lower on McKenzie and do that now and wait to see if there's a second deal later...I'd do that.

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:51 AM

I'm not interested in Mejia.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:36 AM

If another team agrees to give the O's what they are asking for on July 16th, I don't think the O's would ask them to hold off on the trade until after the game.

But I don't think the Orioles asking price will come down very much until after the All Star break.

#11 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

Yes, they would be that dumb.   Anyone who has seen the way this franchise has operated since Angelos bought it should not even need to ask this question.

And, Rob, that wasn't a dig at you...just frustration.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,372 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

Cleveland really needs relief help. Seems like you could get something done here.

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

Cleveland really needs relief help. Seems like you could get something done here.

They are also down another spot (28th) in CF OPS to .581.

Jones-Givens is a good package for them.

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

They are also down another spot (28th) in CF OPS to .581.

Jones-Givens is a good package for them.

They would be fools to trade Givens right now.
@BSLRobShields

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

They would be fools to trade Givens right now.

You are saying this because you think they are selling low?  For teams that like the metrics, his FIP is 2.73 so there's a big disparity there.  You are always buying the arm.  Lesser perceived performance today makes him available more than if he was sporting a 1.12 era.

The Indians are rumored to be looking for a guy with more control than just a rental.

I tihnk you could probably do better than this, but....

....if you traded Givens, Jones and cash for Triston McKenzie, we're all in, right?

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

You are saying this because you think they are selling low? For teams that like the metrics, his FIP is 2.73 so there's a big disparity there. You are always buying the arm. Lesser perceived performance today makes him available more than if he was sporting a 1.12 era.

The Indians are rumored to be looking for a guy with more control than just a rental.

I tihnk you could probably do better than this, but....
....if you traded Givens, Jones and cash for Triston McKenzie, we're all in, right?

I think if Givens is pitching well, Givens fetches that or more..considering his previous seasons and service time.

But sure, if you are getting a top 40ish prospect, you probably do that.
@BSLRobShields

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,961 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

You are saying this because you think they are selling low?  For teams that like the metrics, his FIP is 2.73 so there's a big disparity there.  You are always buying the arm.  Lesser perceived performance today makes him available more than if he was sporting a 1.12 era.

Yes, but the team that wants him for that reason will still say, "Well, his ERA is almost five, so we'll give you [player X with less value than the Orioles want in return]." The buyer will look for any reason to bring the price down, even if they REALLY want what is being offered. Just like how the Orioles would pump up his past performance and advanced stats to bring the price up.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners