#1 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

The Ravens have a strong roster, but how far does a strong roster take you in today's NFL?

http://baltimorespor...ns-flawed-team/

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B, BSLMikeRandall and 1 other like this
@gabefergy

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:33 PM

They are severely flawed.  They were 9-7 last year against godawful competition.  They were a 6-10 team against a normal schedule.   I think they've improved on paper a little bit, but not enough to be over .500 unless some vets who've struggled a lot in recent years play much better than expected, particularly Joe.

• cprenegade likes this

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

Good read and very fair.

I think every team in the NFL has its flaws, the Ravens included.  I do think there is a lot of talent there, and hopefully some of the young talent develops into "that guy", that makes his unit better.

Turn loose the young linebackers and see if one of those elevates his game.

@mikeghg

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

Yep...they lack elite difference making talent.  As has been the case the last 3-5 years, they are fine 4/-53...its that top 3-5 players that they lack and provide the difference.

It is possible the current roster has 1-2 players (not including Lamar in this) that fit into this category but we don't know yet.

@BSLRobShields

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

Yep...they lack elite difference making talent.  As has been the case the last 3-5 years, they are fine 4/-53...its that top 3-5 players that they lack and provide the difference.

It is possible the current roster has 1-2 players (not including Lamar in this) that fit into this category but we don't know yet.

Agreed, all that said, I think the roster is a good one capable of winning 10 + games.

@mikeghg

#6 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

The reality is in today's NFL it's a huge challenge to build a championship caliber roster. You need a lot of things to go right in how you draft and develop players and then you have to hope to avoid injuries and find some luck throughout the season.

@gabefergy

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

The reality is in today's NFL it's a huge challenge to build a championship caliber roster. You need a lot of things to go right in how you draft and develop players and then you have to hope to avoid injuries and find some luck throughout the season.

No doubt...a lot of it is complete luck.

I think they could have drafted better and in hindsight, I turned out to be right about some of the guys I wanted BUT they could have turned out poorly too.

My bigger issue with the Ravens if that I feel they put an emphasis on depth and not enough on getting top talent.  I think we see that with how they have dealt with the draft.  I put a lot of emphasis on elite talent in sports.

@BSLRobShields

#8 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

I agree Rob, they want to get value in the draft but sometimes you need to target the player with enormous potential and just pull the trigger.

How many trade backs have we seen compared to trading up? Trading back is fine if you already have top tier talent and need depth. That's not the case with the Ravens roster.

@gabefergy

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

I agree Rob, they want to get value in the draft but sometimes you need to target the player with enormous potential and just pull the trigger.

How many trade backs have we seen compared to trading up? Trading back is fine if you already have top tier talent and need depth. That's not the case with the Ravens roster.

Yep...You go back to it...Stanley and Kaufusi or Ramsey?  Jack?  Or trade back and end up with Correa and whoever?

Take James this year or end up with Hurst and others?

I think they consistently go for depth and good players while passing up the higher ceiling guys that can be elite.

That is where I find fault in what they do.  Otherwise, I think they have had a lot of bad luck the last 3 years, especially with injuries.  

@BSLRobShields

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

I see both sides of the argument.  I think a team in the Ravens situation, has to go for quantity over swinging for the fences on one player.

They had a lot of holes to fell and I think they have done a good job of filling a lot of those holes.

Unless it is a QB, very rarely can one or two impact guys elevate a football team from decent to dominant.

A lot of people point to the Cowboys as an example, and Elliott, but they took great pains in building an Oline first and then Elliott blew up.

I think without the roster preparation, Elliott would not have had as large as an impact as he did have.

@mikeghg

#11 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

There's a good argument that the more players you draft the higher chance you hit on a gem...unfortunately it hasn't really worked out for the Ravens. They've drafted some good players, but not really any truly elite talents.

I would also say 1 or 2 impact guys can make a huge difference, but they do need to have a solid supporting cast too.

@gabefergy

#12 Charchalisadi

Charchalisadi
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

Overall, on paper, the talent on the roster is very promising. Our defense is clearly capable of being a top 5 defense. That being said, how will Don Martindale distinguish this year's defense from previous years where they are susceptible to blowing 4th quarter leads? Also, Joe Flacco has the most offensive talent he's had in years. Will more creativity be brought into the offense despite no personnel changes? Lot of if factors here.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#13 BSLAndyGuyader

BSLAndyGuyader

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

Often your opponent (coaching staff) will design a plan around what they would like to "take away" from you - based on their personnel, as well as what they see on film.  What will they try to take away from you initially in the game - by alignment and/or scheme. It goes back to the idea that "if we get beat, it will NOT be because of ....."

How will teams approach the Ravens this year? Who or what will they decide to and attempt to "take away"? 

If the Ravens can successfully run the ball this year - then that puts the game on Flacco and the passing game (everyone - WRs, TEs, etc)  and last time i checked, Flacco has a Super Bowl ring....

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

If the Ravens can't run the ball this year they have no hope offensively, IMO. I think Joe can be good if he's got a running game, but I don't think he can consistently carry them team if the running game isn't good.
  • BSLAndyGuyader likes this

#15 cprenegade

cprenegade
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:53 PM

They are severely flawed.  They were 9-7 last year against godawful competition.  They were a 6-10 team against a normal schedule.   I think they've improved on paper a little bit, but not enough to be over .500 unless some vets who've struggled a lot in recent years play much better than expected, particularly Joe.

This is a point that most people don't take into consideration.  In 9 of their 16 games the Ravens faced either a rookie QB or a backup.  It wasn't only them but the entire AFC North.  Pittsburgh was the best team in the North, but they weren't 13-3 good.  They had a number of poorly played games that were turned into wins by late comebacks and last second FG's.  Probably doesn't happen if they also hadn't played second string and rookie QB's all year long.  Same goes for the Raven's big improvement in offense over the second half of the season.  If you look at the defensive numbers of the teams they played, it's not hard to figure the improvement out.  Over the first nine games of the season the Raven's opponents averaged a collective end of the year ranking of 11.5 defensively.  After the bye they played teams that averaged a collective end of the year 19.4 defensively.  In that group was #22 Green Bay, #20 Houston, #27 Detroit, and #30 Indy.  Also consider that Pittsburgh finished #5 in defense, but in the 2nd half when the Raven's put up 38 points on them they had just lost Ryan Shazier.  Bottom line is that any team should have improved their offense over the 2nd half of the year given what the schedule looked like.  This year's schedule is much more difficult for the entire AFC North.  Even with improvement I see them as around 8-8, maybe 9-7 again.  The good news is they won't be chasing 13-3 again.  The Steelers are probably still the best team in the North, but not 13-3.  They should bounce back to about a 10 or 11 win team based on also having a tougher schedule.  

• BSLAndyGuyader likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners