Photo

NBA 2018-19 General Talk (Toronto Wins Championship!)

• Please log in to reply
900 replies to this topic

#881 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:40 PM

One last shot for the Warriors.

They force a TO.

@mikeghg

#882 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:40 PM

Really surprised they let so much time go off the clock before fouling, but it worked out because TOR turned it over.

#883 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,779 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:42 PM

As great as he is, it’s amazing how Curry just doesn’t make those shots in these situations.
@BSLRobShields

#884 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:44 PM

Congrats to the Raptors, big respect to the Warriors.

Terrific basketball.

• Ricker Says likes this
@mikeghg

#885 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:46 PM

One last 10 minute review

@mikeghg

#886 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,386 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:47 PM

I'm going with Toronto in 6.

Bam
  • Ricker Says likes this

#887 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:47 PM

The Kawhi trade will go down as one of the great trades in NBA history, even if he leaves for FA.

• Ricker Says likes this

#888 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:49 PM

Feel a little bad for DeMar though.  Of course they wouldn't have won it with him anyway.

#889 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,779 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:49 PM

We were really robbed in this series.
@BSLRobShields

#890 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,191 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:53 PM

Such a good basketball game. Congrats to Toronto. Canada finallllllly back in the win column. Still not in hockey though, which really is kinda amazing.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#891 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,386 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:57 PM

GS has been plenty lucky in the formation and sustainability of this dynasty. Stacking a roster in an unprecedented fashion among pretty much all major sports. But they certainly have the heart of a champion and I respect them greatly. I do not remotely feel bad for them though.

I feel really bad for Durant and Klay individually, but I think this is pretty spot on. I'm not going to feel bad for the franchise.

#892 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,994 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:59 PM

Who’s the last team to threepeat?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#893 mdrunning

mdrunning

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:13 AM

The injuries obviously compromised Golden State, but they certainly didn't help their cause tonight with sloppy play and missed free throws. Other than Klay Thompson, who went 10-for-10 from the line, the rest of the team shot a miserable 11-for-20. 

Golden State played sloppy and dangerous much of the way tonight, which is a precarious way to travel unless you are by far the better team. The Warriors weren't. Draymond Green had a triple-double, but he also had eight turnovers. Hopefully Klay Thompson's injury isn't that serious.

It's going to be a very interesting offseason in the NBA. I think Kawhi Leonard stays in Toronto, but what happens now with Kevin Durant? It's already being reported he'll miss all of next season, and he has until June 29 to decide whether or not to exercise his player option with the Warriors, which would pay him just over $31 million next season. The Warriors can and likely will offer both he and Klay Thompson max contracts to stay in the Bay Area, but that could put them in a tremendous luxury tax pickle with a payroll that would swell to over $300 million. With Draymond Green's contract up after next season, the Warriors could keep their stars in the fold but have little room to do anything else. They're not getting any younger, and their lack of depth was an issue in these playoffs. Success always comes with a high price tag.

Home fires really had a way of burning out in this series, with the lone home victory occurring in Game 1. The last time I can remember that happening was the 1993 Bulls-Suns Finals when the only home win was by Chicago in Game 4.

#894 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:29 AM

More bad news for the Warriors:

https://www.espn.com...arriors-confirm

#895 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:44 AM

More bad news for the Warriors:

https://www.espn.com...arriors-confirm

That sucks.

@mikeghg

#896 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,779 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:26 AM

The Warriors are going to have an interesting offseason and 2019-2020 season.

Klay will be re-signed but he is out until Feb or March.

I don’t think KD comes back but the Warriors can offer him a lot more money than anyone else, so we will see.

What could be interesting is that I don’t think GS ends up in the playoffs next year unless they are able to get some things done with that roster. If they don’t bring back Durant, they will have some room to do some things but I think it will be relatively minimal.

What would be interesting to me is if they get a really high pick in next year’s draft and then come back with healthy pieces the following year.

Everyone is saying this dynasty is done. I’m not sure I’m willing to say that quite yet. Nothing will happen for them next year but after that, they could be right back in this position.
@BSLRobShields

#897 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

The Warriors are going to have an interesting offseason and 2019-2020 season.

Klay will be re-signed but he is out until Feb or March.

I don’t think KD comes back but the Warriors can offer him a lot more money than anyone else, so we will see.

What could be interesting is that I don’t think GS ends up in the playoffs next year unless they are able to get some things done with that roster. If they don’t bring back Durant, they will have some room to do some things but I think it will be relatively minimal.

What would be interesting to me is if they get a really high pick in next year’s draft and then come back with healthy pieces the following year.

Everyone is saying this dynasty is done. I’m not sure I’m willing to say that quite yet. Nothing will happen for them next year but after that, they could be right back in this position.

We were talking about this last night after Klay got hurt.

My comment, next year could be their Tim Duncan year.  The Spurts got Duncan, because David Robinson and others  got hurt and missed a year.  They got Duncan, Robinson came back and the Spurs rolled for a long time. 

Other similarities, a real good coach and organization.

@mikeghg

#898 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,386 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

We were talking about this last night after Klay got hurt.

My comment, next year could be their Tim Duncan year. The Spurts got Duncan, because David Robinson and others got hurt and missed a year. They got Duncan, Robinson came back and the Spurs rolled for a long time.
Other similarities, a real good coach and organization.

You left out that the Spurs also tanked that year.

The Warriors are unlikely to be one of the worst teams next year, but they could of course jump up in the lottery if they miss the playoffs.

#899 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,779 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

You left out that the Spurs also tanked that year.

The Warriors are unlikely to be one of the worst teams next year, but they could of course jump up in the lottery if they miss the playoffs.

Yea, my guess is they win something in the 35-45 game area...probably putting them in the 9-14 range in terms of expectations of where you draft. Just a matter from there if they get lucky or not.

Of course, if Curry gets hurt for any amount of time, they could find themselves really struggling to win games.

What I find interesting about GS is do you pay Green?
@BSLRobShields

#900 mdrunning

mdrunning

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:31 AM

I think Golden State's roster has to slowly be taken apart, as no championship core can stay together forever.

I wouldn't sign Draymond Green to a long-term deal, and certainly not the super max deal he's reportedly looking for. His performance in recent seasons certainly doesn't justify such a handsome arrangement, and the Warriors need to add depth to their roster. Signing Green long-term (and assuming they do the same with Klay Thompson) would practically guarantee a top-heavy roster for the foreseeable future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners