#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...-lamar-jackson/

Yes. Lamar Jackson is the shiniest new car in the garage since Joe Flacco. It's a lot of fun to pontificate. But before anointing Jackson the next franchise QB, lets let Joe Flacco play his part first. 

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus, Mike B and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,453 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

You're right for this season.  Joe is the man and barring injury Jackson doesn't have any chance at starting until at least Halloween.  I don't think that I've heard the same major swell as you from fans for Jackson to become the QB to start or early on during this season, but I'm not on Twitter.  My guess is that anyone saying that Jackson should start from Day 1 or be in an open competition for the job are the type of people whose opinions we don't have to bother listening to.

I do think we can wonder about 2019 starting right now, though.  No need to wait and see what Joe does before extrapolating about what could happen based on how 2018 goes.  The possible 2018 scenarios you outline all lead to a pretty obvious action for the QB position in 2019.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...-lamar-jackson/

Yes. Lamar Jackson is the shiniest new car in the garage since Joe Flacco. It's a lot of fun to pontificate. But before anointing Jackson the next franchise QB, lets let Joe Flacco play his part first. 

Good Read Mike.

I hope Jackson is great and changes the face of the Ravens offense for the next 10 years or so, but it is Flacco's team right now.

I think we will see a better Flacco this year.  I actually thought we saw a better Flacco the last 7 games of 2017.  I think the receiving corps is improved and if one or both of the young TE's play well, the entire group could be well over average and that would be a dramatic upgrade.

This line really jumped out at me.

"I don’t want Joe Flacco worrying about mentoring Lamar Jackson. I want Joe Flacco worrying about being the best version of himself he can be out there and he’s got the support from the coaches and front office to do that."

Well Said!  Joe has been a good citizen, his entire time here, represented the team in a professional manner.  I do not see that changing.  

• BSLMikeRandall and BSLGabeFerguson like this
@mikeghg

#4 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,483 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

This is a good problem to have...

Plus, it's fun because the reality of Lamar hasn't happened yet... which means he provides plenty of dreamscape with no actual NFL-reality to complicate it.... whereas Joe is a known known....

No reason they both can't do a good job... It's just a matter of timing the transition... and what happens on the field will have a mega-huge vote in deciding that...

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#5 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

Good article Mike. I think Jackson is an exciting player and fans are rightfully excited about his potential, but unless Flacco craters, there is no reason to see him on the field this year. Let him sit on the bench and learn. 

I think the Ravens did a really nice job in revamping the WR corps provided they can stay healthy. It's a good combination of upside (Brown/rookie TEs) and steady production (Crabtree/Snead - I put Snead here because when he was healthy and on the field he put up 2 consecutive strong seasons in NO).

• Mike B and BSLMikeRandall like this
@gabefergy

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:23 PM

Obviously Joe will start the year as QB and should. I do wonder if the Ravens could have known they were going to be able to acquire a 1st Rd QB if they would have taken the huge cap hit this year and been done with Joe. Granted that means less they wouldve been able to do in FA this year too. Essentially, a housecleaning in '18 that really opened up the cap for '19 and beyond for a QB on a rookie deal

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

Obviously Joe will start the year as QB and should. I do wonder if the Ravens could have known they were going to be able to acquire a 1st Rd QB if they would have taken the huge cap hit this year and been done with Joe. Granted that means less they wouldve been able to do in FA this year too. Essentially, a housecleaning in '18 that really opened up the cap for '19 and beyond for a QB on a rookie deal

IMO, it would be a mistake to take a huge cap hit and play a rookie, when they clearly want to compete this year.

I know it is fashionable around town, to pile on Joe, but IMO, he is the best chance to win 10 games.

• BSLMikeRandall and BSLGabeFerguson like this
@mikeghg

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

We can debate how many wins we think the Ravens can get this year. What everyone, except maybe a purple kool aid drinker,can agree on is the Ravens arent a SB contender. Since thats the case I wouldve had no problem using '18 to shed a bunch of dead cap

#9 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

We can debate how many wins we think the Ravens can get this year. What everyone, except maybe a purple kool aid drinker,can agree on is the Ravens arent a SB contender. Since thats the case I wouldve had no problem using '18 to shed a bunch of dead cap

Flacco still has a ton of dead money this year so it really wouldn't have made much difference if he was cut in '18 or '19.

@gabefergy

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

Flacco still has a ton of dead money this year so it really wouldn't have made much difference if he was cut in '18 or '19.

You couldve taken the whole hit this year but it wouldve cost more than to just keep him. So we're talking about being committed to '18 being down the tubes and playing lower salary guys. But you come out of it with no more dead cap space for '19 and beyond. Its fine to do it this way. Its what was expected. There is some chance they can contend for a playoff spot but now but youre pushing 8 mil in dead Flacco cap space into both '19 and '20

#11 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

You couldve taken the whole hit this year but it wouldve cost more than to just keep him. So we're talking about being committed to '18 being down the tubes and playing lower salary guys. But you come out of it with no more dead cap space for '19 and beyond. Its fine to do it this way. Its what was expected. There is some chance they can contend for a playoff spot but now but youre pushing 8 mil in dead Flacco cap space into both '19 and '20

IF they cut Flacco in 2018 they would have owed more against the  cap than they do keeping him on the roster. That doesn't make sense in any universe. 

The roster isn't terrible. They can be a playoff team. It makes no sense to completely write off the season.

@gabefergy

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

IF they cut Flacco in 2018 they would have owed more against the cap than they do keeping him on the roster. That doesn't make sense in any universe.

The roster isn't terrible. They can be a playoff team. It makes no sense to completely write off the season.

Of course it makes sense if youre willing to punt '18 to have no Flacco money committed to the cap for '19 or beyond. And thats what I wouldve done because we arent a SB contender this year. I dont give a shit that if everything breaks right we can win 9 games and lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

As a guy who goes to the games and pays money to do so, I have no interest in punting a season, especially when cutting Joe this year.

With the hit you would take, it would not only Joe that would have to go.  Cutting Joe this year makes no sense to  me.

I think he is going to have a pretty good year.

@mikeghg

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

Branden, your whole premise here is based on the idea that Jackson is better served starting 16 games this year, as opposed to learning, developing and watching.

You may be right...but that’s hardly a slam dunk.

On top of that, you are telling your other players that the season is over before it starts. That’s not going to go over well with anyone.

Between all of that and it costing more to cut Joe than it does to keep him, that’s just an incredibly poor and unrealistic idea.

Getting to the playoffs in 2018 isn’t just important for Joe, Ozzie and John. If you get to the playoffs, you likely have had good contributions from the young players you will be relying on. If you have a completely unready QB, who is just giving away games left and right, that can demoralize the team. Not to mention, you have young weapons on offense you need to develop and a QB who isn’t ready doesn’t help them either

You can complain all you want about Joe but he’s not doing that and he showed last year that when healthy, he can still be a QB that you can win with.
@BSLRobShields

#15 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,687 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

I absolutely think they can be a SB contender. I don’t think it’s likely but anything can happen and we all know things change so often week to week in this league. I think the Ravens realize they blew a prime opportunity last year to make the playoffs and then make some noise in the playoffs. I think they’re determined to make the most out of this year while preparing for the future which is why I liked the off-season and draft a lot. Play our cards right and we can change QBs without much of a setback at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners