#21 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

He doesnt. He has a bias against anyone over a certain age.

It's really not about age, but I admit a younger personalty with the proper education, common sense and an open mind about operations can be a plus in many ways in any industry. Baseball is proving to be no exception. Lets be honest.. change, creativity and innovation isn't typically driven by the old an ingrained. I say that as an old person set in my ways. A limited baseball background can easily be a plus  over an extensive one. 

#22 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:07 PM

He doesnt. Ca has a bias against anyone over a certain age. Moreover, every manager and exec is using advanced analytics. Im not even sure how hes labling certain guys. What exactly does Buck do or not do that makes him "old school". Just as an example the Os under Buck were one of the first teams to start shifting heavily. The Os were at the forefront of that. Then you just have the fact that the Os under this ownership havent been and wont be at the forefront of any technology. Just because you hire some nerd wiz kid who is all in on new school baseball doesnt mean he'll get the tools, money, and support he needs to do what he wants

LOL Nice add on there. My response stands in either case. 

Buck had nothing to do with the overshifts, other than not fighting it. 

#23 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,248 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:49 PM

If Cal was brought in, I feel good about a few things:

1) The minors would become a bigger priority...that includes player acquisitions, the draft, development, coaching.

2) I think accountability would be a high priority. Beyond that, I’m not sure what to expect with him.

• Dr. FLK likes this
@BSLRobShields

#24 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,059 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

1) The minors would become a bigger priority...that includes player acquisitions, the draft, development, coaching.

2) I think accountability would be a high priority. Beyond that, I’m not sure what to expect with him.

Shoot that sounds a lot better than what we are seeing for the last year or so.

#25 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,937 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

I don't think we'll ever see Cal Ripken in a uniform. After all he's done with the Iron Birds, and dabbling in other minor league ventures like Port Charlotte, he's going to want to wear a suit, or polo shirt to work. Not be jet setting, living out of a suitcase for 7 months, being a prop for media entertainment before and after 162+ games

Billy on the other hand. Billy might be ideal for getting back in the dugout. 

• Mike B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#26 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

Some people forget Cal was the biggest shortstop of all time. In fact not until Corey Seager was there another shortstop that reached 6’4 ever. This has nothing to with his managerial or FO resume but funny how people remember people.

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,837 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

I doubt it happens, but I could see him being successful.  Cal has always been an intelligent, analytical baseball guy, and I think he could be creative as a front office type.

I don't see him as a manager guy.

The reason, I do not see it happening, is I do not see him willing to work under all the Angelos imposed restrictions.

@mikeghg

#28 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

Why the reluctance toward Rip?

If there are technical concerns, then I understand that. What are they?

But I fail to get at all the don't hire him because you might have to fire him. Maybe he wouldn't work out in a manager/front office capacity and he'd have to go. Don't see that tarnishing his legacy or love in Baltimore hardly at all. Nothing wrong with having a legacy as a great player that just didn't translate to other aspects of the game. Its kind of like don't open yourself up to a person because you are afraid you might get close then get your heart broke. Might happen. BUT you might find something very very special. You never know if you don't try.

They fired Frank, and the world didn't end.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#29 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,797 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

Cal is a Rangers, Yankees, Tigers and Royals fan.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#30 Russ

Russ

• Moderators
  • 8,823 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

Maybe he could bring Beltre to Baltimore. Hes better than Brooks.

#31 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,483 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

He's not gonna take a job like that... he's not gonna intentionally do anything that might tarnish his legend... 

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,837 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

He's not gonna take a job like that... he's not gonna intentionally do anything that might tarnish his legend... 

I don't think he is going to do it either nor do I think he would be asked, but I think a guy like Ripken believes in his ability and his knowledge of the game and does not see himself failing.  What I think would make him say no, is Angelos and his clan.

@mikeghg

#33 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

Even those two things and literally no other improvement...would be a breath of fresh air.

The fact that Tillman is in the rotation because they literally have no other options just highlights the need for (1).

#34 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,059 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

I guess I see the situation as an almost no lose deal. Tough to tarnish your reputation when you would be coming into one of the worst teams in baseball with what is perceived as one of the worst ownerships.  

If you don't turn them around not many are going to fault you but if you DID turn it around man they'd be falling all over you.

• Dr. FLK likes this

#35 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,248 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

Listened to part of the interview on Get Up this morning...he certainly doesn’t seem to be a rigid old school guy.

Said he has always used analytics.

Does feel the strikeout numbers have gotten out of control though.
@BSLRobShields

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,687 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:38 AM

Roch on 105.7 saying Ripken has no interest in being a Manager, does have interest in Front Office...has not been approached.

#37 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

From what I've heard him say, and what writers have contributed, is that Cal isn't going to interview for a FO job. He's either given the job outright, or he's going to stick with what he's doing. It's been a few years since he made those comments. So maybe he's had a change of heart.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#38 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

From what I've heard him say, and what writers have contributed, is that Cal isn't going to interview for a FO job. He's either given the job outright, or he's going to stick with what he's doing. It's been a few years since he made those comments. So maybe he's had a change of heart.

That sounds rather pompous.

#39 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:47 AM

That sounds rather pompous.

I thought so to. But then I wondered if that wasn't just his way of sidestepping the beat writers that were asking him if he would like to be the next O's GM. 

I always gave Cal the presumptive credit that he was smart enough to know better than to try and work for Peter. 

• Thirteen likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#40 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, fine with Cal doing his thing and staying far away from the FO. Personally I'm fine with him out of the organization completely. More ego there than substance imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners