• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,659 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:07 PM

I've never been a proponent of hiring Ripken.... not a doubt of his acumen, but thought if you hired him.... you'd probably eventually be in position of having to fire him, and that could be ugly.

When he was linked to the Nationals a couple of years ago, I thought that made sense. But he was apparently not interested, or not ready.

His kids are older. He's living in Annapolis. The old house is for sale / auction. He's doing commercials again.
Sold (or selling) his stake in the Ironbirds.

I'd think if he wants to be working for the Orioles, it's now or never.

I've never been clear if Ripken would prefer being onfield in uniform as a potential Mgr.... or in the Front Office.

Brady is his boy, so I doubt we'd see Ripken step over him for the EVP of Baseball Ops job.... but a Team President position?  (Yes, Brady would be his employee in that capacity, but Brady would be running day-to-day.)

Or Showalter moves into the FO with Brady, and Ripken becomes the Mgr?

Not advocating for either.... just throwing it out there.... chances you think we see this?

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,220 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

It’s possible. Probably a move that if it would happen, fans would think we are going to the WS in a few years.

No idea if it would work or not...feel pretty good that he could do what he wants though.
@BSLRobShields

#3 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

Other than a limited position as an IF/defensive coach/advisor and PR, don't want any part of him. 

It's pretty obvious what types of FO personnel are showing themselves to be effective these days and they aren't  Ripen/Brady/Showalter types. 

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,332 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

I've long been a proponent that your team's legends, GOATs, etc. should never have a place in a managerial/coaching/executive role. It almost always ends up in a scenario where the team will have to mutually part ways or fire them later down the road. That's just the nature of sports.

• RShack likes this

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,659 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

My question is less 'should he, should the O's,' and more.... do you think it happens?

#6 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,795 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

I'd be fine with a special consultant role. I doubt he wants to get involved with the full-time, daily operation type of position.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

My question is less 'should he, should the O's,' and more.... do you think it happens?

Hopefully not. Unfortunately I think it very well could happen. 

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,206 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

If it was going to happen I think we would've heard some rumors of it before now.

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

Buck and Cal arent working together. Too much ego. If Buck dicides to walk away then there is some chance

#10 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,070 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

No, it isn't going to happen.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

I would hire Ripken in a heartbeat to whatever position he would like.

As a manager - Knows the game. Fully understands the metrics of the game today (if you disagree with that read his book The Only Way I know). Well respected. Loves the O's. 

Front Office - See above. Well respected across all the game. Would likely have a strong ability to influence ownership and get things done. Loves the O's.

Here's the bottom line - A different direction for sure and at this point a change the fans and town could embrace and see what happens. Staying the course won't work.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,220 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

We really have no idea if Cal would be a disaster or Jerry West.

I tend to agree that you stay away from it though.

Wouldn’t doubt it happening though.
@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

Why the reluctance toward Rip?

If there are technical concerns, then I understand that. What are they?

But I fail to get at all the don't hire him because you might have to fire him. Maybe he wouldn't work out in a manager/front office capacity and he'd have to go. Don't see that tarnishing his legacy or love in Baltimore hardly at all. Nothing wrong with having a legacy as a great player that just didn't translate to other aspects of the game. Its kind of like don't open yourself up to a person because you are afraid you might get close then get your heart broke. Might happen. BUT you might find something very very special. You never know if you don't try.

#14 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

Why the reluctance toward Rip?

If there are technical concerns, then I understand that. What are they?

But I fail to get at all the don't hire him because you might have to fire him. Maybe he wouldn't work out in a manager/front office capacity and he'd have to go. Don't see that tarnishing his legacy or love in Baltimore hardly at all. Nothing wrong with having a legacy as a great player that just didn't translate to other aspects of the game. Its kind of like don't open yourself up to a person because you are afraid you might get close then get your heart broke. Might happen. BUT you might find something very very special. You never know if you don't try.

He doesn't fit the profile of a contemporary successful FO executive and I don't view field managers all that relevant, basically an extension of the FO imo. As an executive he doesn't fit and as a field manger you're just replacing one strong willed personality for another where that trait really isn't desirable. 

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,521 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

What are his thoughts on TTTP?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,220 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

He doesn't fit the profile of a contemporary successful FO executive and I don't view field managers all that relevant, basically an extension of the FO imo. As an executive he doesn't fit and as a field manger you're just replacing one strong willed personality for another where that trait really isn't desirable.

How do you know he’s not a contemporary exec?
@BSLRobShields

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,098 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

Be wonderful if he would replace Bordick in the booth.

#18 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

I highly doubt he's versed enough in analytics in either role. What's his education and what has he written or espoused to make you think he's smart enough, progressive enough, capable or even willing enough to drive an organization in that area much less mange a team under that as a core philosophy? We're not talking Gabe Kapler here. 

Theoretically he's a qualified manager (I think you're getting more of the same problems with Buck). There are far better FO choices. 

#19 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,932 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

I think as manager, he would bring a wealth of knowledge to the team. He also fits the bill as a player who was never the fastest, strongest, best eye, just did it the right way with fundamentals and those guys make the best managers.

As an exec though, I feel like I want some youth. Even Brady is too old. Baseball is changing and I don't want someone behind the curve. I want the next Theo Epstien. Whomever that is.
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

He doesnt. Ca has a bias against anyone over a certain age. Moreover, every manager and exec is using advanced analytics. Im not even sure how hes labling certain guys. What exactly does Buck do or not do that makes him "old school". Just as an example the Os under Buck were one of the first teams to start shifting heavily. The Os were at the forefront of that. Then you just have the fact that the Os under this ownership havent been and wont be at the forefront of any technology. Just because you hire some nerd wiz kid who is all in on new school baseball doesnt mean he'll get the tools, money, and support he needs to do what he wants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners