#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:51 AM

Dodgers: It IS just because Seager is out for the year.  Justin Turner is coming back. There's several ways to get it done.  It's a unique opportunity....for Machado too.

Philllies: Not interested in Franco at all.  It would have to start with Kingery or why bother.  Not excited about Moniak at all and he's their #5 prospect.  Crawford and Franco aren't relevant.

Braves and Cards will wait.  They aren't moving top guys now and both teams are likely to wait until deeper into the season.  More likely they go with a secondary move instead of Machado, unless you get to end of July.  Cards want Donaldson.  Braves will keep Riley.

Indians: Like the Indians as an option.  Said elsewhere, I think Schoop is a better fit at some point.  Take back Kipnis salary and they still have another year of control with Jon.  They have good depth to target.

Yankees aren't in play.

I guess we can throw the Cubs in there (for Rob). ....if they have to have grown tired of Addison Russell, but I'm not sure why they'd give up the defense and upside on a cost and service controlled guy, especially if they had their eyes on Harper.  If you want to move on from Russell (for whatever reasons), Theo/Jed would likely have their eyes on some other SS for 2019 and use Machado as the break point with current.

AZ is maybe a July option....probably difficult to put together the right package.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:07 AM

Mets are having a tough spell... if they can hang around, I think there is something there.

#4 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

Mets are having a tough spell... if they can hang around, I think there is something there.

From John Sickels:

"If you like C+ prospects, you'll like the Mets." 

No thanks.  They'd have to give up their farm system and it still isn't enough quality.

The Orioles will probably have to play roulette and hope Manny's health/performance last until July to find the right match.  

The Brewers are an intriguing option though, if not just for the fact of the numerous former Orioles that have wound up there.  If the Orioles could get the Brewers and Cardinals in a bidding war, that would be ideal.

#5 BSLBrandonWarne

BSLBrandonWarne

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, Minn.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

I had a ridiculous back and forth argument with someone with the last name Rinker -- related to Lance? -- about what the O's could get for Machado in a trade. He was saying basically nothing, which makes no sense to me.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,208 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, saying nothing seems silly.

Less than they could have after the '16 season? Sure.

Lots of discussion on possible hauls in the other thread.... 

Re: Rinker.... don't know about the relation to Lance.  Been a long while since we saw Lance here.

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

All this debate just shows how poorly run the O's are. They didn't move Manny at the more opportune times (after 2016, trade deadline 2017, after 2017) so they continue to play the waiting game for some offer to blow them away.  What they might get is blown away when he leaves after the season and we get a whopping draft pick.

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

I had a ridiculous back and forth argument with someone with the last name Rinker -- related to Lance? -- about what the O's could get for Machado in a trade. He was saying basically nothing, which makes no sense to me.

Social media is full of morons.
@BSLRobShields

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,453 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

The Mets trade for Cespedes in 2015 might be a good comp for Manny.

The Tigers got P Luis Cessa, a 23 y/o at AA having a good season but not rated in the Mets top-20 according to two different lists I found at the time, and P Michael Fulmer, a 22 y/o having a great AA season and was former 1st round pick but had really struggled for multiple years, was not rated in the Mets top-20 on the preseason list I found but was rated top-15 on the Mets post-draft list and back-end top 100 on a midseason overall list I found, so his stock was rising back up a bit (and obviously he's been great since the Tigers got him).

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

Personally I think it’s a waste of time to try to find comps to trades like this.

First of all, Manny is regarded higher than almost anyone who has been traded at the deadline in recent memory and he is in the midst of an MVP caliber season.

Secondly, things change from year to year. Some teams are more desperate than others. More teams may be involved in a player vs another, thus driving up the price.

I get why you do it and it’s not bad to discuss it as if it’s some kind of baseline but I tend to believe what happened before isn’t always a precursor to future trades.

I’m going to be very surprised if we trade Manny for a deal we won’t be happy with...even with the thought that whatever we get is better than nothing.

@BSLRobShields

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,208 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

A Top 5 overall talent is bringing back something, period.  

Has to be at-least one contender / pseudo contender who will decide they want an upgrade at SS or 3rd.

Don't think teams are going to think, "Manny would be a decent add, but going after the MVP talent is a luxury."

Someone will push their chips in, and decide to go for it.

I do think it's fair to say he would have brought back that much more before the '17 season though. 

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

I dont think the return will be as big as most Os fans think itll be.

My question for you guys is this. Has he raised his stock since January with his hot start or is it the same ? Obviously, a potential suitor has lost 2 months worth of production but the blistering start makes his struggles of '17 look like an aberration.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,208 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

I dont think the return will be as big as most Os fans think itll be.

My question for you guys is this. Has he raised his stock since January with his hot start or is it the same ? Obviously, a potential suitor has lost 2 months worth of production but the blistering start makes his struggles of '17 look like an aberration.

I wouldn't think he has 'raised' his stock.... but if he was having the 1st half he had in '17, I think that would scare teams from ponying up.

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

I think his stock is higher. But I also think that matters in terms of when you trade him.

If you trade him sometime soon, the stock is higher IMO.

If you don’t trade him until July 31, I don’t think it’s higher but I still believe we get more for Manny than Nickle seems to. (Although I have no idea how he or anyone else is defining this)
@BSLRobShields

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

I think his stock is higher. But I also think that matters in terms of when you trade him.

If you trade him sometime soon, the stock is higher IMO.

If you don’t trade him until July 31, I don’t think it’s higher but I still believe we get more for Manny than Nickle seems to. (Although I have no idea how he or anyone else is defining this)

Yeah, I dont really know how its being defined either. It can be hard to define. Are we talking about a ML player coming back like Russell, prospects that are near ML ready, or prospects that are further away? All change the perceived value.

#16 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

.....and ALL that value is higher than a draft pick......

• clapdiddy likes this

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, I dont really know how its being defined either. It can be hard to define. Are we talking about a ML player coming back like Russell, prospects that are near ML ready, or prospects that are further away? All change the perceived value.

This is the tough part.

If you told me today that all we get from the Cubs is Russell and their best prospect (who isn’t a top 100 guy right now), would that be considered “a lot”?

I would define that return as good enough and something to be happy about but not something I would ecstatic about...although I like the upside of Russell.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners