#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

The 25-year old Machado may be a Hall of Famer someday, and every day that passes is another day we're closer to losing him. Yet, while having Manny here long term is preferable to dealing him, it doesn't seem to be in the cards. The thought of losing him hurts.

Rather than getting into a discussion revolving around who (DD, Brady, someone new) will be pulling the trigger on any Machado deal, I thought it best that we focus on which teams may be viable candidates to deal for Manny. In my estimation, the list of potential suitors is not as plentiful as it was a year ago, but that is subject to change as the season wears on.

Jon Heyman (not a big fan) recently listed the Phillies, Yankees, Cubs, and Cardinals as the teams most likely to deal for Machado, while others have listed the Rangers, Astros, and Red Sox as well.

​Anyway, if interested, I'd love to see what trade ideas our posters can devise.

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#2 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,072 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

Phillies actually do look like they might compete this year. Seems like a great fit, especially now.. Not a prospect guy but there system is ranked pretty high.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:07 PM

It may be easier to eliminate teams first.

Out:  TB, Det, KC, CWS, Texas, Oak, Phil, Miami, Cinci, SD

Likely out:  Houston, DC, Atl, Pitt, LAD, Tor, Mil, Col

Likely don't have what it would take:  Ari, Tor (not dealing Vlad or Bichette), SF, Minn, Sea, LAA

That essentially gets rid of 24 teams.  Perhaps one of these teams surprise, have a major injury or have some MiLers that take a big step and look better than they do now but basically, those teams will be out.

That leaves us with NYY, Boston, Cle, NYM, St Louis, Cubs.

I think those are the teams you would focus on.  If the Orioles want to rule out the ALE teams (which they shouldn't), that leaves us with 4 teams.

The good news is that those 4 teams are, in varying ways, are built to win right now.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLRobShields

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:08 PM

Phillies actually do look like they might compete this year. Seems like a great fit, especially now.. Not a prospect guy but there system is ranked pretty high.

I just dont see AM wanting to deal some of their top talent for a rental, especially for a team that still likely won't be ready to truly contend, even with manny.

But, they are a team to watch over the next month or 2 and see what happens.

They make a ton of sense to sign him though.

@BSLRobShields

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,453 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:08 PM

I usually love this sort of conversation, but I am finding absolutely no joy in discussing the possibility of a Manny deal.  Will be very depressing if we trade him rather than extend him.  If we do trade him, I'll immediately start suggesting we be the highest bidder for his services come November.

• Greg Pappas and B00E00N00 like this

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

Astros are the dream team to deal with but unless they are trading Bregman in the deal or moving him to 1st or the OF (none of those moves make sense) or they have a big injury to Correa or Bregman, I don't see why they would be mentioned.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLRobShields

#7 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

It's certainly possible that the Phillies remain in the hunt, though I suspect they'll fall back to earth soon. They do have some pieces, but am not sure there's a match.

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#8 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:12 PM

Astros are the dream team to deal with but unless they are trading Bregman in the deal or moving him to 1st or the OF (none of those moves make sense) or they have a big injury to Correa or Bregman, I don't see why they would be mentioned.

Bregman didn't hit last year or to begin this season. High upside, but if his struggles continue, Manny may be in play. Doubtful, as you suggested, but plausible.

#9 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,521 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

I usually love this sort of conversation, but I am finding absolutely no joy in discussing the possibility of a Manny deal. Will be very depressing if we trade him rather than extend him. If we do trade him, I'll immediately start suggesting we be the highest bidder for his services come November.

You actually think there's a chance he's an Oriole next season?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

Bregman didn't hit last year or to begin this season. High upside, but if his struggles continue, Manny may be in play. Doubtful, as you suggested, but plausible.

Even if Bregman is just so so, I would think they would use their resources for the pen.  Britton is a better target there.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLRobShields

#11 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

FWIW, here is MLB's Top 100 Prospects list. Sixto Sanchez (RHP) comes in at #26 for the Phillies.

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

Hes a clubhouse cancer and other teams know it.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

Cleveland would be the team that, to me, makes the most sense of anyone.

Encarnacion is older and you have him for one more year.  Allen and Miller are FAs after this season.

They have some good young talent but they likely fall back next year.  Going for it in 2018 is probably their best chance for at least a few years.

Zimmer, Mejia, Mackenzie...just to name a few.  Those are the names you are looking at.

@BSLRobShields

#14 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,104 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

I usually love this sort of conversation, but I am finding absolutely no joy in discussing the possibility of a Manny deal.  Will be very depressing if we trade him rather than extend him.  If we do trade him, I'll immediately start suggesting we be the highest bidder for his services come November.

Yes.  You trade him, tell him that you are trying to get additional players for next year, then tell him he can have 400 million in the winter.  

Also kinda wondering if they can package Machado with Davis' shitty contract to get him outta here.

@fuzydunlop

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

I just can't believe so many are flatly dismissing Miami....smh

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,762 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

Why would Miami trade for him?
@BSLRobShields

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 10,429 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

Because they are FULL rebuild mode, and won't be sniffing competition until year 4 of his new contract. He's not going to take a ton of money to be bottom of the division for 4 years. Also, they had to dump their own star OF because he made too big of a payroll number because they are running with a small market payroll from now on, so they can't afford him.

@JeremyMStrain

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

Could see the Mets as a fit.

#19 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Oops sorry, my bad. Yes we are discussing trade partners and not signings. Yeah zero reason for Miami to trade for him. Pretty easy for them to get him in November if they want to.

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

Yes.  You trade him, tell him that you are trying to get additional players for next year, then tell him he can have 400 million in the winter.  

Also kinda wondering if they can package Machado with Davis' shitty contract to get him outta here.

Doubtful, unless you want to get very little for Manny.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners