46 replies to this topic

#41 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,441 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:56 PM

Anyone been to Harper’s Ferry Brewery? Looking to go Saturday.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#42 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,448 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

Sapwood Cellars in Columbia has entered the picture of best breweries in the area.

#43 Norman

Norman
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

Sapwood Cellars in Columbia has entered the picture of best breweries in the area.

Never heard of it...but I do frequent Hysteria and Black Flag in Columbia.

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,314 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

Mobtown just opened up a brewery on my street in Canton.  Only been once so far but I had a couple pretty good beers.  Really liked the Pelennor Fields

One random question in general about breweries...why are the beers the same price there as they are at other bars or distributors?  Shouldn't they be cheaper since there are no distribution costs and the overhead pretty low compared to a separate bar?  But it's $6-8 for every beer at a brewery just like at any other bar.  Makes sense for one-off runs you can't get anywhere else, but for the major beer someone distributes?  Is there an extra taproom tax they have to pay or is it just that they know people will pay so they charge?

Just a minor nit to pick.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#45 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,448 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:48 PM

Some breweries that I've been to are cheaper, but that seems to have been more prevalent in the past. Not sure if there's a tax, but I'm sure the bars, many of which are effectively partners in selling craft beer, don't like to be undercut. On that note, I think there has been an uneasy relationship between bars as well as stores selling beer and craft breweries that sell on site as the latter has become more and more popular. More to your question, there has been some legislative battles on this front here and elsewhere, some of which has made it harder for breweries to compete as a place that sells their own product.

Regarding Mobtown,I wasn't impressed by the beer during my one visit.

#46 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,448 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:39 PM

A new brewery coming to Fells Point and I'd say it's a better use of the building: https://www.baltimor...&_hsmi=75511064

• BSLChrisBacon likes this

#47 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 21,253 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

A new brewery coming to Fells Point and I'd say it's a better use of the building: https://www.baltimor...&_hsmi=75511064

This could be really cool. There's a brewery in Cincinnati that did the same thing (I'm sure it's very common) called Taft's Ale House that does great business. 

EDIT: Should have read the article first...the owner definitely knows Taft's since he opened one of the largest breweries in Cincinnati (Madtree).

The church first caught the eye of Valery, a real estate developer. As more partners became involved, a brewery felt like the right fit for the church’s next life. Hunt—who also opened MadTree Brewing in Cincinnati, Ohio—says that turning the building into a 250-seat brewery has been a "unique undertaking."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners