Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

John Brown headed to BMore?

Zrebiec:

Per sources, Ravens pretty far down the road with free agent WR John Brown, a former Arizona Cardinal.
@BSLRobShields

#2 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,779 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

LOLOLOL. This is why they didn't cut Maclin. 

Jordan Matthews? John Brown? I mean there really aren't many options left. Hopefully Nelson. 

John Brown headed to BMore?

Zrebiec:

Per sources, Ravens pretty far down the road with free agent WR John Brown, a former Arizona Cardinal.

I guess so. Doesn't he have the sickle cell trait and there are really meaningful questions of whether or not he can actually play in the NFL anymore though?

If he can play and is health, he actually represents a solid upside signing. But that's a really big if. 

#3 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

I dont think the Ravens would sign a player that won't be able to play. Brown was actually pretty good when on the field, but his play has been limited by injury/health so that is probably why the Ravens can afford him.

@gabefergy

#4 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Had a quad injury and turf toe last season. 2015 he had 1000 yards on 65 REC. 14.5 YPC for his career.

@gabefergy

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

Damn...I speculated months ago that we'd sign two of Wallace, Moncrief, and Jaron Brown.  John Brown would be a miss for me.

#6 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,779 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

I dont think the Ravens would sign a player that won't be able to play. Brown was actually pretty good when on the field, but his play has been limited by injury/health so that is probably why the Ravens can afford him.

Brown was great on the field. I thought the sickle trait was the bigger threat: https://www.cbssport...till-a-concern/

But hey...if he's healthy great. I was a big big fan of his a few years ago and thought he was actually going to be the WR that replaced Fitz. 

Saying the Ravens signing someone because we know they will be healthy is a bit misleading. Campanaro has never been able to stay healthy despite getting regularly cleared (and then not cleared). Also, I don't think it's clear the long-term implications sickle cell can have and/or how to treat it. So it's just a bit of wildcard no matter what the Ravens doctors might say. 

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Brown was great on the field. I thought the sickle trait was the bigger threat: https://www.cbssport...till-a-concern/

But hey...if he's healthy great. I was a big big fan of his a few years ago and thought he was actually going to be the WR that replaced Fitz. 

Saying the Ravens signing someone because we know they will be healthy is a bit misleading. Campanaro has never been able to stay healthy despite getting regularly cleared (and then not cleared). Also, I don't think it's clear the long-term implications sickle cell can have and/or how to treat it. So it's just a bit of wildcard no matter what the Ravens doctors might say. 

There's nothing misleading about a physical. Either he is healthy and cleared by the doctors or he isn't. 

@gabefergy

#8 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,779 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:49 PM

There's nothing misleading about a physical. Either he is healthy and cleared by the doctors or he isn't. 

There's nothing predictive about sickle cell, unless I don't understand it right.

I guess my point is, he could have a clean bill of health, but never play a snap because of it, and that shouldn't shock anyone or be predicted. He could also never really be affected by it again. And in the right conditioning be just fine. 

Interesting article when I googled sickle cell and football player: http://bleacherrepor...e-tough-choices

Clark was the guy I was thinking about, but interesting I didn't know Jerraud Powers had it, and I didn't know the sad connection related to former Ravens WR Devard Darling. 

#9 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,779 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

Also, I don't think the risk calculus for Brown is what his health is today, it's a question of how healthy he will be moving forward. So I have no doubts about their ability to measure his health right now.

I meant, they need to make a decision about what they think they can predict about his future health. And while some of it is a "wild card" some of it isn't. Look at Campanaro, you've got to decide if the health risk is worthwhile and factor in how many games you don't think player X may not play. 

Its the same problem they had with Jack. They were just looking at the physical of today and not thinking through the value of the future, IMO. 

#10 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

https://twitter.com/...694588652318720

Former Cardinals' WR John Brown intends to sign with the Baltimore Ravens, per source.

6:57 PM - 13 Mar 2018

• JohnnyK27 likes this

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#11 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

At this point sign Brown, resign Wallace, cut Maclin and draft Moore.

#12 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

Brown is going to be a Raven... what a splash.
  • jkough1 likes this

#13 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

Have to imagine he was pretty cheap, and that is likely a function of his injury history and perhaps his sickle cell trait. If he is unavailable for some games that definitely lessens his value.

@gabefergy

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

1/5 deal.
@BSLRobShields

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

Zrebiec:

John Brown is the first Ravens WR move. But they'll still be active with what else is available. And yes that includes Jordy Nelson. Not sure their chances, but they'll surely be in mix.
@BSLRobShields

#16 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,779 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

1/5 deal.

1/5?!? I kind of hate that. 

#17 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

Zrebiec:

John Brown is the first Ravens WR move. But they'll still be active with what else is available. And yes that includes Jordy Nelson. Not sure their chances, but they'll surely be in mix.

I'd be happy with Jordy.

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

1/5?!? I kind of hate that.

That’s my first reaction. Want to see if there are any other details of the deal other than incentives can take it to 6.5.
@BSLRobShields

#19 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

That’s my first reaction. Want to see if there are any other details of the deal other than incentives can take it to 6.5.

Not too many details to be had in a one year deal.

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,766 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

Not too many details to be had in a one year deal.

No..just wondering if it’s all fully guaranteed.

Adam Caplan is the only one who has reported the deal. So, there could be more to it.

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners