#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:41 AM

Yahoo!: Federal documents detail sweeping potential NCAA violations involving high-profile players, schools

Documents and bank records obtained in discovery during the federal investigation into the underbelly of college basketball detail in meticulous fashion the expenditures of prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller, his former associate Christian Dawkins and his agency, ASM Sports. They include expense reports and balance sheets that list cash advances, as well as entertainment and travel expenses for high school and college prospects and their families.

While three criminal cases tied to the investigation may take years to play out, the documents viewed by Yahoo revealed the extent of the potential NCAA ramifications from the case. The documents show an underground recruiting operation that could create NCAA rules issues – both current and retroactive – for at least 20 Division I basketball programs and more than 25 players.

Diamond Stone, at the time a freshman at Maryland, received $14,303 according to the documents.

Obviously this doesn't show a direct link from the school to ASM Sports, but has the potential to be pretty bad for an athletic department that has prided themselves on being squeaky clean post-Len Bias.

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,327 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

Throw the book at any involved. It's not that hard to run a clean program.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

God dammit.  Can't we at least be good if we're gonna cheat?  Worst of both worlds here, shitty team that we can't respect.

• DJ MC and BSLMikeRandall like this

#4 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,492 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

Stone should have to give it back, he sucks.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

So this so far at least seems only about the agency paying players ahead of time in hopes that they sign with them once they turn pro.

So I suppose that could be going on without any colleges contributing to it, perhaps even without knowing about it.  Obviously even simply benefiting from it will be a violation for having an ineligible player.

Hopefully there isn't anything more tying the Terps in here, but I bet this gets uglier.

#6 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,814 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

Posting what I wrote in the CBB thread:

My thoughts are this: If you look strictly at the data here, the findings from the ASM agency do not implicate any school on the surface at all. Players have agents (or what are called advisors for NCAA purposes) in every major sport, and those agencies might have zero relationship with the coaches/program/college. All what has been revealed in this article is the agency paying the individual player or family.

Now, the question is did the school or coach foster the relationship? Is there actual evidence of an agent paying a player to go to a school? I don't see that here (yet) but if so, there's your clear violation. If not, then I don't really see how this affects the schools at all, aside from some media/public/rivalry backlash. 

In regards to Stone: This article doesn't say anything about the agency funneling the money through/in cahoots with Maryland to Stone. Sports agencies are actively recruiting players, just like college coaches are. They are at HS games and AAU events even when these kids are freshmen if they truly believe that they could make the NBA. 

Unless the NCAA or the FBI or whoever can prove their was a relationship between ASM and the individual school or coach or basketball staff, this won't impact any program. 

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:34 AM

Even if no connection to the universities is ever proven or even alleged, these players are ineligible so any wins from when they were on the team will be vacated (if all this is proven true).  That's just a minor bookkeeping penalty, but it's something.  I don't know if teams are forced to give back their conference shares if they are found to have an ineligible player, that would be a more tangible penalty if so.

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,704 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

How do you stop this if you are the colleges though?

If some agency pays a player, wtf are you supposed to do? That could happen before the player even accepts a scholarship to come to you.

There is no way of stopping this.

So, to blame the school, we would have to believe that the coaches of these schools are sending these agencies after players and part of it is that they push them to go to one school over another...but yet all of these schools are fighting for the same players, so are we then to believe that, for example, Duke “outbids” Kentucky for player X and that is how this works?

That just seems incredibly far fetched.

And then, how do you link it? Are you going to trust the scumbag agents who are trying some CYA? Who is to say they aren’t lying about the connections?

I really think this is nothing. It will be treated as some big scandal but if this is the extent of it, it’s nothing.
  • BSLChrisBacon likes this
@BSLRobShields

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,704 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

Throw the book at any involved. It's not that hard to run a clean program.

I think it’s the opposite. I remember hearing K one time(this was several years ago) say that they get contacted a lot for these really minor infractions that they had no idea were even rules. Now, the FBI doesn’t allow you to have a defense of “ignorance” in a case and you can say the same thing here...but when you have stuff like this going on, again that could happen before they even sign a LOI, how are you supposed to know?
@BSLRobShields

#10 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,665 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:22 AM

How do you stop this if you are the colleges though?

If some agency pays a player, wtf are you supposed to do? That could happen before the player even accepts a scholarship to come to you.

There is no way of stopping this.

So, to blame the school, we would have to believe that the coaches of these schools are sending these agencies after players and part of it is that they push them to go to one school over another...but yet all of these schools are fighting for the same players, so are we then to believe that, for example, Duke “outbids” Kentucky for player X and that is how this works?

That just seems incredibly far fetched.

And then, how do you link it? Are you going to trust the scumbag agents who are trying some CYA? Who is to say they aren’t lying about the connections?

I really think this is nothing. It will be treated as some big scandal but if this is the extent of it, it’s nothing.

I don't think schools want it to stop. Sometimes a coach can sell a kid or a family on the fact they make kids ready for the pros. I think it was the 30 for 30 on SMU and the death penalty, in part of it they followed an agent to UCLA's football practice. He drove his $100,000 Mercedes on campus. Parked right outside the locker room entrance and hung out there as players came off the practice field, right past him and into the locker room. No campus security questioned him. No coaches told him to leave. Seems like they don't care if agents get this close to players to the point that they are ok with it. 

If agents can get this close. You know boosters and former alums with deep pockets are getting even closer. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,873 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

I don't think schools want it to stop. Sometimes a coach can sell a kid or a family on the fact they make kids ready for the pros. I think it was the 30 for 30 on SMU and the death penalty, in part of it they followed an agent to UCLA's football practice. He drove his $100,000 Mercedes on campus. Parked right outside the locker room entrance and hung out there as players came off the practice field, right past him and into the locker room. No campus security questioned him. No coaches told him to leave. Seems like they don't care if agents get this close to players to the point that they are ok with it. 

If agents can get this close. You know boosters and former alums with deep pockets are getting even closer. 

Back in 2011 or 12, Michael Jordan was hanging out in a parking garage on their way to the bus with the Carolina team after they won their second round game,and were headed to the Sweet 16. Anyway, it's on video, and he's promising them all a brand new pair of Jordan's if they made the Final Four (they ended up losing in the Elite 8 that year), but I always found that a little odd. it was clearly a gift, but nothing ever came of it, so I guess it wasn't any sort of violation. 

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@beginthebegin71

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

God dammit.  Can't we at least be good if we're gonna cheat?  Worst of both worlds here, shitty team that we can't respect.

It's like when the Orioles were the most prominent team mentioned in the Mitchell Report. If you can't win even when you are cheating, you are just plain pathetic.

That said, I haven't read anything yet that indicates the school/program was involved or had direct knowledge of the payment to Stone. If that's the case, and this is all there is on MD, then this is pretty light relatively speaking.

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

Turgeon just issued a statement.

DWvQSe5UMAAtNlM.jpg

@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,704 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

Let’s take the word of Turg here.

Let’s say he had zero knowledge of this, never met this agent, etc....how can anyone say MD should be penalized there?
@BSLRobShields

#15 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,814 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Let’s say he had zero knowledge of this, never met this agent, etc....how can anyone say MD should be penalized there?

They shouldn't. (I know that was rhetorical though.)

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,327 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

We will see. 

Investigate it fully.

Under Armour hasn't been named yet.

If the Agent directed Diamond to MD.... why MD? 
What did the Agent get?

If it comes out the Agent directed Diamond to MD for a reason ($)... and it's tied to the program in anyway (obviously won't a check from MD).... then the repercussions should be stiff.

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,704 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

We will see. 

Investigate it fully.

What did the Agent get?

If it comes out the Agent directed Diamond to MD for a reason ($)... and it's tied to the program in anyway (obviously won't a check from MD).... then the repercussions should be stiff.

Sure..I guess,

@BSLRobShields

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:49 PM

We will see.

Investigate it fully.

What did the Agent get?

The simplest explanation is that the agent wanted Stone as a future client (which ironically didn't happen) and hoped the money would convince Stone to join. If that is the case, it's very plausible MD was in no way involved and had no knowledge....like I said in the other thread, you want as few people in on these things as possible. And can't think of why Under Armour would get involved either.

Where I get a little concerned is that what I described above doesn't really constitute criminal activity (if the agent gave Stone his own money), just a violation of NCAA rules. So since the feds are the ones who discovered this, and I doubt they want to do the NCAA's job of rule enforcement for them, is it just something they happened to stumble upon and are leaving it at that? Or do they suspect there is possible criminal activity here and have been digging much deeper?

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,327 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

I get the part about the Agent fronting money to a Player (Any Agent, any Player) to curry favor, in an attempt to be the Player's future Agent if the Player lands in the NBA....

What I don't get is why said player would end up at certain schools, unless the Agent was also getting something in return from said schools.

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,704 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

I get the part about the Agent fronting money to a Player (Any Agent, any Player) to curry favor, in an attempt to be the Player's future Agent if the Player lands in the NBA....

What I don't get is why said player would end up at certain schools, unless the Agent was also getting something in return from said schools.

Right..Stone was between MD and Wisky. Did the money to him steer him to MD because of some kind of connection?

If there is no connection between school and agent, this is nothing imo. (And when I say “this”, I mean the entire story)
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners