Photo

BSL: What Would a Machado Trade Even Look Like?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 BSLBrandonWarne

BSLBrandonWarne

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, Minn.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:48 PM

My latest for the site:

http://baltimorespor...fe.com/?p=32290

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas, clapdiddy and 2 others like this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,108 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

Nice work Brandon.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,108 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

My hope from St. Louis has been Flaherty, Weaver, and Gyorko.

My expectation has been one of Flaherty and Weaver.... Gyorko (or Wong).... and possibly another piece like O'Neill or Hudson.

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,626 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

I don't think the Orioles would do Russell, Almora and Montgomery but that is a deal I would push for.  Cubs may not do it either but they are all spare pieces for them (yes, I am aware that's not the case long term but they want to win now).

Flaherty, Hicks, Hudson (or one of the other arms) and Gyorko from St Louis.  If you are St Louis, do you really turn that down?  Gyorko is nothing in this deal.  So, its the 3 young arms.  Are you really not making that deal?

@BSLRobShields

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,108 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

I appreciate the direct perspective from those who follow these respective teams.

What do others think of the offers those people suggested?

• Greg Pappas likes this

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,626 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

I appreciate the direct perspective from those who follow these respective teams.

What do others think of the offers those people suggested?

Decent chance the Yankees are the team I would want to deal with the most.

@BSLRobShields

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,626 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

Morosi:

More

#BlueJays not currently engaged in active trade talks involving Josh Donaldson, source says. @MLBNetwork @MLB

@BSLRobShields

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,626 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

Cards have reportedly wanted Donaldson more than Manny

@BSLRobShields

#9 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

I too would look hard at the Yankees. The simple fact is you take the best deal you can get. Y'all already know that I don't think the O's are going to be a legit playoff contender in 2018 anyway. With or without Manny. So who cares where he plays in 2018? I get not wanting to have to play against him 19 times/year. But we are only talking 2018.

Manny holds all the cards for 2019 and beyond. If he wants to be a Yankee then he will be there come November next year. So having him play one extra year in NY is irrelevant if its the best return for the O's.

BTW great job Brandon!

#10 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

https://www.fanragsp...-machado-again/

Heyman | Yankees checking on Manny Machado again

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#11 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

I'm 100% fine with dealing Machado to the NYY. It makes sense on two levels. We're not winning anything in 2018 and especially not competing with the Yanks AND taking a couple/few of their best prospects is better than taking prospects from a non-AL East rival. Weaken their system, rather than someone else's... while better positioning us for the future. 

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,626 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

So, you take a lesser deal and he perhaps ends up in NY anyway or you take a better deal, weaken their system and just have to deal with playing him for an extra year.

No brainer...except to the morons who run this organization.

• Greg Pappas, clapdiddy and Don Quixote like this
@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

One interesting comment in that article about Manny being in the Yankees lineup.  Another RH bat in an already heavy RF lineup. I just don't get this stuff.  Who gives a damn what way a guy swings a bat if he has proven he can hit both RH and LF pitching?

Manny's career splits are really really close across the board for hitting either RH or LH pitching. 

Its kind of like the O's saying they have to get a LH starter. Horse crap.Get some good pitching.

• Greg Pappas and clapdiddy like this

#14 BSLBrandonWarne

BSLBrandonWarne

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, Minn.

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

BTW, I fixed Hudson's name. For some reason I called him Luke Hudson instead of Dakota Hudson.

Mixed my Hudsons. Luke is a former Royal, and I also got Luke Weaver mixed in there I think.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

BTW, I fixed Hudson's name. For some reason I called him Luke Hudson instead of Dakota Hudson.

Mixed my Hudsons. Luke is a former Royal, and I also got Luke Weaver mixed in there I think.

I was going to tell you about Dakota, but knew who you meant. :)

#16 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

The problem with dealing with the Yankees is that they have no reason to trade a bunch of good players for a player that will be in pinstripes in a season anyway.  They can deal less and get somebody that might be only slightly worse than Manny this season via trade or sign a FA while they wait for Manny.

The Orioles have little leverage with them because the Yankees don't need Manny while the Orioles must trade him.  I doubt the Yankees are offering anything close to what has been speculated.

St. Louis is still probably the best team to deal with even if you can only get one SP for him because they are the only team besides the Yankees that has a shot at either extending or re-signing him.

Anything you can get to go with Jack Flaherty and you make the deal.  If the Orioles could have Flaherty, Wells and Cortes in their rotation a few years from now, you have a nice controllable trio of Orioles pitching.

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,626 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

If the Yankees don’t want to deal anyone, then they don’t get him.

That’s the case for any team.

So, that idea doesn’t make sense.

If they want him now and improve their chances of winning a title and are willing to pay up to do it, they are the perfect team to deal with.
@BSLRobShields

#18 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:15 AM

I gets JTrea's point. So my follow on point/question would be if a team had Manny for 2018 would that give them a bit of head start or advantage to signing him long term after the season?  If the answer is no then there really isn't much reason for the Yankees to trade for him. If the answer is yes then there may be some logic to the Yankees going for him now.

#19 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

I gets JTrea's point. So my follow on point/question would be if a team had Manny for 2018 would that give them a bit of head start or advantage to signing him long term after the season?  If the answer is no then there really isn't much reason for the Yankees to trade for him. If the answer is yes then there may be some logic to the Yankees going for him now.

Right, the Yankees aren't going to have much competition.  Miami would be the next logical spot, but Jeter isn't showing Manny the money the Yankees will and A-Rod was a Mariner, Ranger and Yankee and never a Marlin.

However, if the Cardinals make Manny fall in love with St. Louis as they did McGwire and Holliday, then they would have a real chance to re-sign/extend him.  Also if they fall out of it - they can always deal him to the Yankees.

Manny isn't a Boras client, so he'll be more likely to sign an extension if he likes the club and the money is right.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,108 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

MASN: Machado to New York talk
http://www.masnsport...trade-talk.html

Another report said the Yankees and Orioles talked this week about Manny Machado. We don’t know if the talks are advanced at all or if this falls under a team doing “due diligence.” We don’t know if the Orioles would actually pull the trigger on a deal with the Yankees.

Whether you feel the Orioles should talk trade with the Yankees about Machado or not, they do seem a good match for a deal in that six of their top 10 prospects are pitchers according to Baseball America.

Their No. 3 ranked prospect is 21-year-old lefty Justus Sheffield, who went 7-6 with a 3.18 ERA in the Double-A Eastern League last season with Trenton. His fastball has touched 98 mph, he’s been a two-time top 100 prospect and was ranked No. 73 at mid-season in 2017 by Baseball America.

New York’s No. 4 prospect, who was No. 56 at mid-year 2017, is 23-year-old right-hander Chance Adams. Between Double-A and Triple-A last season, he went 15-5 with a 2.45 ERA and 1.08 WHIP. His fastball has topped at 97 mph and both pitchers have plus sliders.

I think the Orioles should take the best offer for Machado and do it soon, no matter which team makes such offer. They can only control where Machado plays in 2018, if they choose to, and why take a lesser offer to do that? The Orioles are not on the Yankees’ level right now with Machado. Why not take away from New York’s future pitching depth? Take the best offer, headed up by young pitching and move on to the next topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners