204 replies to this topic

#141 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:23 AM

Miss the tourney and Turgeon gets fired or make the tourney and keep him?

If those are the 2 options, which one do you choose?

Miss the tourney, easy. Making the tourney isn't all that fun when you know your team will do nothing while there.

#142 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,704 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:58 AM

I don't care what KenPom says, this doesn't look like a tournament team to me.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#143 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:09 AM

The last 12 seconds of that game were everything that's been wrong with Turgeon's teams for years. No play or plan on the inbounds pass. Questionable personnel on the floor. Wisconsin in response runs a screen to get an open shot, takes the lead. Final shot, nobody but Cowan was ever planned to touch the ball and not much movement. Long range three, just praying it goes in.
  • Mike B likes this

#144 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

The last 12 seconds of that game were everything that's been wrong with Turgeon's teams for years. No play or plan on the inbounds pass. Questionable personnel on the floor. Wisconsin in response runs a screen to get an open shot, takes the lead. Final shot, nobody but Cowan was ever planned to touch the ball and not much movement. Long range three, just praying it goes in.

Good post.

I went back and watched the last 5 minutes of that game.   Yea, I know, that was stupid. but I did it.

Maryland plain got out gutted and out smarted down the stretch.  The last 90 seconds, everything that could have been wrong was.

The failed alley oop to Smith.  Cowan had his man beat, should have kept going to the rim.

The fatal in bound play.  Why was Cowan started in the far corner, why was there not a long option on the play and why, in stead of forcing the inbound, was a TO not called?  In addition, Morsell needs to be more alert.

The winning shot was a great play call.  34 came off 2 screens and was wide open, in part, because Sticks got caught watching.  

The last shot.  Again, Turgeon calls a TO and Maryland gets a running 30 footer that misses.  Same happened at the end of the first half.  Turgeon calls a TO and Maryland gets a pick and pop from Smith from about 25 feet.

Another note, and sour grapes perhaps, but the reffing down the stretch badly went in wisc. favor.

34 held Cowan on the in bound.  Maryland got the short end of two charge calls when neither was, and the blown call off the out of ball out play at 2:03 was damaging.  It certainly was off Wisconsin.  

None of that matters if Maryland is smarter and not soft.

• Ricker Says likes this
@mikeghg

#145 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

One other thing that pisses me off.  Turgeon constant, we are young, BS.  Everyone in CBB is young.  Shut up and make your team better.

@mikeghg

#146 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:32 PM

Lots of transfers at the end of the season.  

Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#147 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,704 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

Who here had Rutgers being better than MD this season?
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#148 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,721 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:05 PM

Uhh what?

https://www.barstool...are-going-swell

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#149 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,704 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:25 PM

Wow. Just wow. If Turgeon is this much of a wuss and gives the players this much leash, he needs to place a higher premium on higher character, team oriented guys. We all love the recruiting he's done. But this is unacceptable. Man up and take control, coach. These are damn teenagers. Wtf.

#150 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:51 PM

Reminds me of Senior Day a few years back where he made the brilliant decision to let the team vote on whether or not the seniors would start.  And they decided not to and were down at the half by 30 to Michigan.  

• Ricker Says likes this

#151 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,638 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

IMS: Turgeon responds to criticism: "I think I'm an excellent coach"
https://247sports.co...tm_content=Link

#152 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,704 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:50 PM

IMS: Turgeon responds to criticism: "I think I'm an excellent coach"
https://247sports.co...tm_content=Link

What a Nancy. If you're a passionate fan that is sometimes critical you're apparently part of the crazy 2%.

#153 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:51 PM

Interesting reading Turgeon's comments.  I think he reads and listens more than he admits.  I have been critical of Turgeon, because I don't like the style he plays, but I think he does a lot of things the University officials like and based on the decent W-L, I don't think he is going anywhere.

I 100% agree, the team was over rated at the beginning of the year.  At 15, they still maybe.

@mikeghg

#154 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,704 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

Turgeon's W/L has a lot to do with a ridiculously easy joke of a schedule. And as good as the B1G is, the Big 12 has 2 teams in the top 3... the ACC has 3 teams in the top 10. The Big Ten has none in the top 10. Deepest conference, but not necessarily the best, depending on how you define it.

#155 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

Turgeon's W/L has a lot to do with a ridiculously easy joke of a schedule. And as good as the B1G is, the Big 12 has 2 teams in the top 3... the ACC has 3 teams in the top 10. The Big Ten has none in the top 10. Deepest conference, but not necessarily the best, depending on how you define it.

I think top to bottom, the B10 is the best.  Coupled with teams beating up on each other, and the road woes, it is hard to stay in the top 10.

The ACC is very top heavy IMO, and it is easier to stay in the top 10-15 when the league is top heavy.

• Ricker Says likes this
@mikeghg

#156 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,704 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

I think top to bottom, the B10 is the best.  Coupled with teams beating up on each other, and the road woes, it is hard to stay in the top 10.

The ACC is very top heavy IMO, and it is easier to stay in the top 10-15 when the league is top heavy.

Great point. Very true.

#157 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

Just to be clear, I don't like the style Turgeon plays.  I prefer a more aggressive, uptempo, less rigid game coach.   I also don't think his teams get significantly better as the year goes on, but I also don't think he is the dolt some make him out to be.

@mikeghg

#158 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,704 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

Just to be clear, I don't like the style Turgeon plays.  I prefer a more aggressive, uptempo, less rigid game coach.   I also don't think his teams get significantly better as the year goes on, but I also don't think he is the dolt some make him out to be.

Agree with this fully. I also think he's a great guy, clearly. We could definitely do much worse. I want Maryland to be better and to have a chance at another championship. I don't believe Turgeon is capable of that.

• Mackus and Mike B like this

#159 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:11 PM

Agree with this fully. I also think he's a great guy, clearly. We could definitely do much worse. I want Maryland to be better and to have a chance at another championship. I don't believe Turgeon is capable of that.

Pretty much how I feel.   I think the part we miss, is how Turgeon conducts himself, and how he dives in and rolls up his sleeves in regards to fund raising, keeps him in good standing with the decision makers.  He would have to really bottom out, IMO to lose his job.  They are going to make the tourney again this year, and I think many see that as a positive measuring stick.  Maryland's program, IMO is capable of so much more.

@mikeghg

#160 hallas

hallas

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

This is turning into a meme, but it's not really based on reality this year IMO.  His NCSOS is basically middle-of-the-pack among top teams this season (KenPom has Maryland at 10th, and among the top 10, we're tied for 5th in NCSOS with Baylor.  I agree in the past he picked some farcically patsy NC games, but not this year.  With Seton Hall skyrocketing up in the rankings, losing to them on the road isn't looking quite as bad as it did before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners