#161 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

How often do announcers come to the defense of the defenders in those situations? Almost never. If the rules are dumb, there are many many more borderline plays these guys all stay away from. That was head hunting to the first degree. 

As for the game, I still hated the playcalling mostly on offense throughout the game. Still doesn't feel like we're setting things up. THe Ricard FB pass was the same play as the 2-point conversion. There has to be a second read on that play. We still don't consistently line up in power looks. We run get a 6 yard game, and then line up in shotgun, don't use play action and throw it...or we line up in shotgun, but stay tight, so you've got 9 guys in the box between hashes and then run inside...We use play action so sparingly, but we see a great game when we do to Maclin on a post over the middle. 

The defense played with grit. We brought the pressure, and we said, hey DBs, we're going to bring the heat, go win us this game. And they did. I want to see this every week. It reminded of old Ravens defenses. Get guys into the box, bring lots of pressure looks. Use the extra guys in the box to defend the run and let Pierce and Williams just outright work in the middle. The defense played downhill last night. Pees deserves credit. After the long pass on a 3rd and long to Stills when we rushed three, he adjsuted, knew that Moore would fold under the pressure and then brought an unrelenting number of 5 and 6 man blitzes from everywhere. 

Great  post.   It aggravates the hell out of  me, how little we use play action.   Joe is  at his best out of play action, and there is no reason not to use PA, especially  when we are running the ball well.

Really agree with your last point.   I think our  DB's are pretty good.   Trust them, and put the responsibility for coverage on them and attack up front.

I think Pees has gotten so used to playing  with street free agents, he doesn't realize that we are pretty strong on the back line.   Jimmy Smith, IMO, is a top 5 corner in the league,  Carr is solid, and young Marlon Humphrey can play.  His stride for stride coverage is very good.  He is fast and physical.  He needs to trust his instincts a little more and he will begin to make impact plays.  

@mikeghg

#162 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

I was actually catching the game with Gabe out in LA bc I'm here for wok and I looked at him infuriatingly when it was the three-man rush and they converted that long third down. I think Dean Pees heard me all the way from Cali complaining.  

Also, you know we rarely stunt or run twists when we're rushing 3 or 4. That's when we get these really vanilla pass rushes. When you've got a guy like ZDS that is so good right now, you can line him up outside sometimes, stunt him inside and get pressure or at least create confusion. Make these OL think just as much as they have to physically perform. 

There was a defensive play last week that I really liked, I don't remember when it was now, but they lined up crazy heavy on the right, and looked like loose and no one really on the left. They rushed the LB and the CB from the left, and a design look heavy to the right. I meant to mention that last week, but I thought that was a really creative play from Pees, one of few in that game that we had. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#163 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

I was actually catching the game with Gabe out in LA bc I'm here for wok and I looked at him infuriatingly when it was the three-man rush and they converted that long third down. I think Dean Pees heard me all the way from Cali complaining.  

Also, you know we rarely stunt or run twists when we're rushing 3 or 4. That's when we get these really vanilla pass rushes. When you've got a guy like ZDS that is so good right now, you can line him up outside sometimes, stunt him inside and get pressure or at least create confusion. Make these OL think just as much as they have to physically perform. 

There was a defensive play last week that I really liked, I don't remember when it was now, but they lined up crazy heavy on the right, and looked like loose and no one really on the left. They rushed the LB and the CB from the left, and a design look heavy to the right. I meant to mention that last week, but I thought that was a really creative play from Pees, one of few in that game that we had. 

He is??

@BSLRobShields

#164 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

So good at the outside to inside interior rushes, so just specifically at winning on the interior when put in a position to. Sorry, I mean that as he can play that flex role and go both ways. "So good" may be a bit too far, but he's the closest thing to McPhee that can play that role in a few ways along the line. 

But frankly, that can be Judon or Suggs, could do that too. And you could move the three of them around, inside outside, to really create looks and pressures from weird angles or combinations. 

ZDS had a very good game last night, I thought...FWIW. 

You could also show Mosely, or even the safeties, where they line up outside and stunt in inside with a Suggs/Judon pushing the outside speed rush next to them in some of the looks. I mean the player doesn't really matter. You've got the chess pieces IMO to move some things around. 

The larger point is that we can be creative when we rush 4 and we have the personnel to do so, IMO. 

#165 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

So good at the outside to inside interior rushes, so just specifically at winning on the interior when put in a position to. Sorry, I mean that as he can play that flex role and go both ways. "So good" may be a bit too far, but he's the closest thing to McPhee that can play that role in a few ways along the line. 

But frankly, that can be Judon or Suggs, could do that too. And you could move the three of them around, inside outside, to really create looks and pressures from weird angles or combinations. 

ZDS had a very good game last night, I thought...FWIW. 

You could also show Mosely, or even the safeties, where they line up outside and stunt in inside with a Suggs/Judon pushing the outside speed rush next to them in some of the looks. I mean the player doesn't really matter. You've got the chess pieces IMO to move some things around. 

The larger point is that we can be creative when we rush 4 and we have the personnel to do so, IMO. 

If I may, translation....turn the dogs loose and let them hunt.

We have a lot of really good athletes.  Dammit Dean, attack.

• jkough1 likes this
@mikeghg

#166 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

Orlando Brown

Reading through the game thread.  This caught my eye.

Zeus, would have taken out both Alonso and Suh....Zeus would have liked Jensen.

BTW, Orlando Brown Jr. is a chip off the old block.  Starting LT at Oklahoma.  

@mikeghg

#167 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Maybe I'm being hypocritical or biased because I defend defensive players a lot. Hell, I said last week that the hit on Wallace shouldn't have resulted in a suspension and I really didn't think it deserved a flag. Though that's how the game is called now so I was shocked when they went to commercial and hadn't thrown one. That Alonzo hit was dirty and it deserved a suspension. There was enough time for him to pull up to some degree. You see some of the still frames where Joe is into his slide and Alonso is still 4 yards away. I know he's running hard but Joe was clearly sacrificing himself before Alonso launched into his tackle. Then he clearly goes for the head. He knew what he was doing there. What's worse is all these mother fucking analysts who now all of a fucking sudden want to come to the defense of the defender at Joe's defense. That's BS and it's because its Joe Flacco. He's a whipping boy and always has been one. Has never gotten the respect of even the refs. If that was Tom Brady, Alonso would be thrown out and the entire narrative of the media would be a complete 180

Damn right.  If that was Brady, the media and the league would have already strung Alonso up.  The interesting thing is they never showed the shot on the big board at the Stadium.

@mikeghg

#168 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Wow, the press really is going full "blame the victim" with the Flacco hit.

Sickening.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#169 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

Sickening.

Flacco isn't a good QB but this sure as fuck makes me rally around my QB. Fuck the world.

#170 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

Sickening.

Which is why anyone taking the empty suit media assholes serious, knows as little as they do.

Joe made a real good play, got outside of the pocket and got as much as he could and got down.  Again, if Brady or Ben make this play and get drilled, it is a national tragedy and they extol the virtue of the hustling QB.  Joe does it and it is his fault.  It is amazing how little or how biased the media.

@mikeghg

#171 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

The article I had read before that post was on Yahoo and basically blamed Joe for the hit because Carson Wentz faked out a defender the week before by starting to slide and not sliding. It made no sense. Like we've said, if it's Brady the media is in fucking hysterics over it. And any late slide bullshit would be chalked up to Brady being a gamer, the GOAT, and wanting to get every last inch possible.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#172 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

It's just BS. When offensive players are being tackled by another guy and fighting for yards or duck down their head and get hit those are the plays where I sympathize with the defenders. This is just ridiculous. How fucking early do you want the QB to give up his body. Oh jeez that guy is still 10 yards away but let me go ahead and start my slide now. I can't believe this is the hit everyone wants to point as as evidence of being unfair to the defender. Look at the fucking still frame. He's clearly into his slide and Alonso clearly is still running and not bracing to make a hit. Come the fuck on. And then the forearms directly to the helmet knocking it off. This is Flacco backlash. The guy has never gotten respect and it continues to show. It wouldn't even have to be Brady for this narrative to be different. It would different for any name QB. From Eli to Rivers to Cam Newton. Speaking of which how much fucking complaining did we hear all last year about the legal hits Cam was receiving and this happens to Joe and it's his fault. Fuck the hypocrisy !!!!

#173 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,310 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

The article I had read before that post was on Yahoo and basically blamed Joe for the hit because Carson Wentz faked out a defender the week before by starting to slide and not sliding. It made no sense. Like we've said, if it's Brady the media is in fucking hysterics over it. And any late slide bullshit would be chalked up to Brady being a gamer, the GOAT, and wanting to get every last inch possible.

It'd be full on late hit gate by now.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#174 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

It's just BS. When offensive players are being tackled by another guy or duck down their head and get hit those are the plays where I sympathize with the defenders. This is just ridiculous. How fucking early do you want the QB to give up his body. Oh jeez that guy is still 10 yards away but let me go ahead and start my slide now. I can't believe this is the hit everyone wants to point as as evidence of being unfair to the defender. Look at the fucking still frame. He's clearly into his slide and Alonso clearly is still running and not bracing to make a hit. Come the fuck on. And then the forearms directly to the helmet knocking it off. This is Flacco backlash. The guy has never gotten respect and it continues to show. It wouldn't even have to be Brady for this narrative to be different. It would different for any name QB. From Eli to Rivers to Cam Newton. Speaking of which how much fucking complaining did we hear all last year about the legal hits Cam was receiving and this happens to Joe and it's his fault. Fuck the hypocrisy !!!!

Exactly right.  The national media is so full of it. 

@mikeghg

#175 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,818 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Thinking about it, I hate the term “late slide”.

There is no rule as to when you slide. The QB is going to try and get as much yardage as possible and slide when he feels he should. In theory, they are always late then.

Alonso had enough time to avoid at least that level of contact.
@BSLRobShields

#176 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 21,251 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

Alonso not suspended.

#177 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

Laughable that Alonso isn't suspended by Srndejo was. NFL has no clue what they want to do with these hits
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

#178 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Laughable that Alonso isn't suspended by Srndejo was. NFL has no clue what they want to do with these hits

Sendejo has a track record of these type of hits.

@gabefergy

#179 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

I kind of expected it, the NFL is so full of crap, it is not even worth getting upset over. 

Alonso is lucky, he did not take a head shot on one of the NFL's chosen ones

@mikeghg

#180 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,310 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

Yep, that's what it comes down to Mike.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners