#21 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,915 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

If CC is the only SP we add, I agree that we are not a legit playoff team next year.  If we add CC plus two other similar guys, then I think we would have enough to at least fancy ourselves potential contenders.  If we've got three guys who can go 160 IP with a 4.00-4.50 ERA plus Bundy and Gausman, I think that is enough SP not (not good SP, but enough) that our offense, bullpen, and defense will have a chance to be good enough to get us back in the playoffs.  At least a good enough chance that I'd like to take that chance rather than trade everyone away.

I would, of course, hope that we can build a better rotation than stated above to give us an even better hope in 2018.

So you are ok with a multi-year FA deal for Sabathia (say 4 years) as long  we commit other multi-year deals for (2-3) other "quality" FA SP? 

#22 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

So, would the pro-CC folksk be willing to give him a 4 year deal?  3 Years? I might be in at be in at 1-2 (which I doubt he'd take). 

He'll be 37/38 next year. He's not getting four years. I doubt he gets three even. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#23 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,915 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

He'll be 37/38 next year. He's not getting four years. I doubt he gets three even. 

If that's true I'd be fine with a 2 year deal for CC. We'll see what happens. You'd be wiling to give him a 3 year deal then? 

#24 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

CC will have enough interest that he won't be signing here.

#25 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,915 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:37 PM

CC will have enough interest that he won't be signing here.

Agreed. If he signs a 1-2 year deal it will be because it's somewhere he wants to go...which won't be us.  

#26 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 378 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

Agreed. If he signs a 1-2 year deal it will be because it's somewhere he wants to go...which won't be us.  

He might just stay in New York

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

#27 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,915 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:16 AM

Yep.

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,821 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:12 AM

I think that is likely.

@mikeghg

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,753 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

So you are ok with a multi-year FA deal for Sabathia (say 4 years) as long  we commit other multi-year deals for (2-3) other "quality" FA SP? 

Sure, yeah, whatever.  I don't care about the names or years or dollars so much.  I want the best 3 guys we can convince to sign here.  Hoping for 3 guys better than Sabathia, but unlikely that happens.  I don't mind being the highest bidder - so say an extra year and extra $1-3M AAV - on any of the guys that I think would be clear upgrades.  We can't sit back and hope to get guys for below market value. 

Sabathia specifically wouldn't be on my top-5 list or maybe not even top-10 (I haven't actually made a list), but he's well ahead of Tillman or Miley, so as names come off the market, Sabathia moves closer to someone I'd seriously consider.

I expect them to sign two guys that I wouldn't even consider mediocre.  It's gonna be the same mess next year as this year.  Hope that's not the case, but it's what I think happens.

#30 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,915 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

Sure, yeah, whatever.  I don't care about the names or years or dollars so much.  I want the best 3 guys we can convince to sign here.  Hoping for 3 guys better than Sabathia, but unlikely that happens.  I don't mind being the highest bidder - so say an extra year and extra $1-3M AAV - on any of the guys that I think would be clear upgrades.  We can't sit back and hope to get guys for below market value. 

Sabathia specifically wouldn't be on my top-5 list or maybe not even top-10 (I haven't actually made a list), but he's well ahead of Tillman or Miley, so as names come off the market, Sabathia moves closer to someone I'd seriously consider.

I expect them to sign two guys that I wouldn't even consider mediocre.  It's gonna be the same mess next year as this year.  Hope that's not the case, but it's what I think happens.

Yeah, I'd probably be against one Multi-year deal into '20-21 (especially 4 years) for FA SP, much less multiple type multi-year deals of that sort. Some names may appear better than others I suppose, but it's just not smart imo. Don't really care about 2018-19 all that much (not that I'm giving up on them being competitive) so I'd rather get the best 1-2 year deals available. Hopefully by '20 we'll have a better development pipeline and/or trade resources to field something more viable and sustainable.

As for CC, he doesn't sign here imo. If he wants a 3 year deal with max money, I think he gets it. Meaning we'd have to offer 4 years (basically what we had to do with UJ) or a crazy 3 year AAV (which typically just doesn't happen). 

#31 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,704 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

CC goes somewhere that gives him money and a chance to win.

Baltimore isn’t that place.
@BSLRobShields

#32 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

If that's true I'd be fine with a 2 year deal for CC. We'll see what happens. You'd be wiling to give him a 3 year deal then? 

No. I'd only consider it if the third year was a vesting option. 

#33 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,915 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

No. I'd only consider it if the third year was a vesting option. 

Agreed. Basically you're saying what I'm saying imo ..... you don't really want him. Be interesting to see ha he does though. 

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,821 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

Listened to CC's interview after the Yankee's lost on Saturday, and it sounds like he has no interest in leaving NY.

He said he would definitely be back.

@mikeghg

#35 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

Listened to CC's interview after the Yankee's lost on Saturday, and it sounds like he has no interest in leaving NY.

He said he would definitely be back.

The only issue is (they'll) get caught up in 'respect money'....they can probably work it out though.  

Yankees really need to get under the Lux Tax one year and re-start their clock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners