#1 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

Steelers week! The Ravens need a lot to go right to beat the hated division rivals at home. The Steelers have an under-performing offense, but the Ravens have the worst offense in the league right now. Should be fairly low scoring and close.

http://baltimorespor...teelers-ravens/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this
@gabefergy

#2 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hope they play much better this week.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,227 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

After last week, feels like the Ravens need to come out and have some early success.

We've seen the articles about getting the WR's going... I think with the line, it has to be on shorter routes. I've never loved Joe over the middle, but would be great to see the crossing routes. Other than that, hitting the WR's on short outs outside would be good.

Beyond that, I'm committed to the idea of running the ball. I'd be find with an extra lineman, or having 2 TE's in to help block.  Run, run, and run some more. When the defense stacks the box, take the chances down the field in 1x1.

The defense needs to make a statement as well after last week. Home crowd, rivalry...  should be ticked...  playmakers needs to make plays.

If Gabe is right, and the Ravens lose this game.... really puts the Ravens in a difficult position. It may only be the AFC North winner that reaches the playoffs. Win, and obviously you have a win over all 3 division foes.

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,607 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

Yea, if you lose Sunday, you likely lose in Pitt as well. Maybe you win the other 2 games but 4-2 in the division probably won't be good enough.

The East and South will only send 1 team each in all likelihood although Houston, Jax and Tenn are capable of being 10 wins teams.

The West definitely sends 2 teams barring major injuries.

You also travel to Oakland next week...not that you can't beat them but it's not a game, on paper, I am expecting the Ravens to win.

Big game this week...this game, in all likelihood, sets you up for the whole season.

@BSLRobShields

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

5 of the last 6 games are very winnable. Splitting the next two weeks would go a long way towards a 9+ win season. Lose both and I find it nearly impossible.

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,607 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

5 of the last 6 games are very winnable. Splitting the next two weeks would go a long way towards a 9+ win season. Lose both and I find it nearly impossible.

I wouldn't go as far as saying nearly impossible but I did believe they needed to be 3-2 after these 5 weeks.

If you aren't there, it does become very difficult though.

Just so many injuries too...Outlook for this year has changed a little until we see if some of these guys can step up and at least be serviceable.

@BSLRobShields

#7 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

What made that loss sting so much is how bad the defense showed last week. 

If we lose that same game say 12-0 it doesn't sting as bad. But when you get blown out like that, it makes all the warts feel really bad. 

It was interesting, in reading Pees press transcript from Thursday, I did NOT like what he had to say. He made some good and interesting points, some which I agreed, some which I did not:

There were fewer mistakes made in that game on defense than there were in the Cleveland game, and less than the Cincinnati game if you can believe that. When I grade it, whether it be a mental mistake or whatever, there were fewer in that game than there were in the first two games.

This one irked me. Well the mistakes we made, were ones the Jags were keying on. They were looking for those mistakes and made us pay. The motion Bowser - Lewis TD on motion. The Weddle - Mosley not single high protection from Weddle. 

Well on third down, they were 3-of-12. Evidently, we didn’t disappear on third down. Did they have two good backs? Two really good backs. They averaged 3.3 [yards] a carry by those backs. There are 60 yards of rushing on there that was on a fake punt. They averaged 3.3 yards.

I tend to agree that our run defense played pretty decently for what it was worth. And yeah on 3rd down I guess we didn't do so bad. 

...the difference in that game and the other two games – turnovers. When you play intense and you are really flying around 100 miles per hour, you create turnovers. We didn’t create turnovers. We did not create those kinds of opportunities that we created in the other two games.

That's the comment I don't like. Pees doesn't sound like he wants to step up the pressure. He doesn't say we could have schemed more confusion and forced teams. He just says we need to be "more intense". I hope that's coaches talk, but whatever Pees is doing right now with this personnel, it has holes and right now OC's from other teams can see it. So he better adjust (and I've been a Pees defender up to this point) or it's going to be a waste of what continues to be a very talented secondary that can let you do A LOT with your front seven. Which he is doing none of. 

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,607 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

I wish we could trade Pees for Wade Phillips.

@BSLRobShields

#9 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

I mean every team should want to trade their DC for Wade Phlllips :)

I'd bring back Rex in a heartbeat with this talent level. He could do some fun things with this defense, IMO. 

As much as I'll defend Pees for what he did in Cle and Cin, because I think it was right, I'd love to get aggressive and let these guys play downhill more. 

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,227 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

I wish we could trade Pees for Wade Phillips.

Always been a Wade fan... but could just sign Rex. 

I didn't always love Rex in 4th Quarter close and late games, but I respected that his players enjoyed playing for him, and he did scheme chaos.

I don't want to disrespect Pees totally though. He's grown on me a bit. I'd just like to see more consistent pressure. He seems to prefer bend but not break... I'd be willing to sacrifice being beat sometimes, for the ability to be more aggressive. I think defenses do better with that mindset.

It's not horrible being 'vanilla' though. Depends on the personnel you have.  The 2000 Ravens ran very basic schemes... didn't have to mix things up, they were just better than you.  This team has players, even with the injuries... but I don't think they are good enough to just line up, and always win.  I'd like to see them create more doubt in the minds of the opponents.

#11 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

I don't hate being vanilla either...

But as a fan, I'd love to see organized chaos. This is the best secondary we've had since Reed was actually good :). And I feel like a little pressure, confusion, challenging reads, could really bring some heat on the QBs we're working against. 

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,607 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Pees is terrible at in game adjustments IMO.

@BSLRobShields

#13 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

I think the Ravens will play much better here and get back on track. I actually could see the defense coming out angry and beating up on Ben quite a bit. Steelers have all the hype in the world but really haven't looked great.

Gun to my head I'd pick a close Ravens loss but I do think they'll have a chance in this game, and it's really important for them to find a way to take it.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#14 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

Pees is terrible at in game adjustments IMO.

I'm not sure I agree with this. But this stuff is hard to tell. 

He certainly doesn't make huge overhaul changes to his approach mid-game. So in that sense, he's terrible at adjustments that you see.

But I'm sure there are many nuances adjustments that go on during games that we just can't know or see or measure effectiveness of...

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,950 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

Steelers scored 38 points total @Cleveland and @Chicago.  They are a totally different offense on the road, and not in a good way.

I'm pretty confident we can hold them under 20.  My biggest concern defensively is covering Bell out of the backfield.  You can't ask Mosley to do that, he is solid in coverage (and excellent in zone, IMO) but usually gets worked over by the best-of-the-best TEs and RBs.  He can't cover Bell.

I'm not confident we can score 20 offensively.  So we might need to make 13 or 14 stand up in order to win.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,227 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

Steelers scored 38 points total @Cleveland and @Chicago.  They are a totally different offense on the road, and not in a good way.

I'm pretty confident we can hold them under 20. 

I'm not confident we can score 20 offensively.  So we might need to make 13 or 14 stand up in order to win.

Bell's gotta be getting close to getting his legs under him right? That changes their offense from the first weeks of the season.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,950 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

Bell's gotta be getting close to getting his legs under him right? That changes their offense from the first weeks of the season.

They only averaged 21.6 ppg on the road last year.  28.25 at home.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,227 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

They only averaged 21.6 ppg on the road last year.  28.25 at home.

Yeah, but you pointed out their struggles in scoring on the road this year. Different year.  And Bell only played 12 games last year (albeit 8 were on the road).

Their offense should be better once he is back producing.

Also of-course they were without Bryant last year... though looks like Sunday might be in-question for him.

Not that I'm not buying that their offense is better at home... just thinking there are reasons to believe the offense will be better than last year, and that the early road struggles this year are at-least somewhat explainable.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,950 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

That's a lot of explaining-away struggles...

I think we can keep them under 20.  That'd be my expectation.  Possible that the defense sleepwalks again or that the offense is so bad that time-of-possession and field-position allows the Steelers to score more even if the defense comes to play.  But I think that if we can score 20 points, we win.  I don't think we'll do that, so I guess I'm predicting something like a 13-17 loss.

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,607 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

I'm pretty confident we can hold them under 20.  My biggest concern defensively is covering Bell out of the backfield.  You can't ask Mosley to do that, he is solid in coverage (and excellent in zone, IMO) but usually gets worked over by the best-of-the-best TEs and RBs.  He can't cover Bell.

Yep...Pitt hasn't been a great road team in recent years.

I want Correa or Bowser on Bell.

Ravens have done a decent job on Brown.

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners