#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,778 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:49 PM

7 years / 45 million ?

Seems like a risky guy to commit to long term. And without much benefit as I don't think his price would explode compared to right now if he has a very good 2020.

And even if you did want to, this feels like 33-50% too much money.

Next two years for league min, 3 arb years (maybe 1 and 4 years if super 2 which increases things a little but not a ton), and 2 FA years for Santander I would guess you can get for $30M right now if not less. And can probably make those FA years options for about $16-18M total. Guaranteeing $45M seems like way more to me than what you'd have to commit to if you did want him for that long.

#63 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:13 PM

It's the service adjusted version of Eugenio Suarez.

That's the kind of guy you hope to find doing this.  (not necessary to do this to play Santander, but that's a different topic)

Santander is clearly the best of the guys who we've seen this side of Mancini, so just wondering if anyone thinks we've found a Suarez.

#64 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:22 AM

I thought the benefit of young cost controlled guys was that they were young and cost controlled. 7 years $45M seems like the total opposite of that. If he does this for an entire year next year then maybe lock him up. But I think the chance he is as good or DFA’ed next year are about equal with the more likely scenario of mediocrity.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,778 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:21 AM

No chance he's DFA next year. Will still be dirt cheap and has options remaining.

I support the general idea of extending Santander if you think he's legit. Just don't need to spend that much to do it.

I think saying he's clearly the best guy since Mancini is way premature. Excellent performance in MLB this year. But he also only had a 725 OPS in AAA this year in an offensively inflated league. 350 MLB PA were great but 200 MiLB AAA were quite bad. I'm not committing anything near $45M to him yet. That seems wildly aggressive.

#66 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,585 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

I don't think he is DFA'ed next year but I think the chances are far more likely that he is a DFA type guy (IE, poor production and you don't care if you lose him) vs a guy you believe is worth extending.

If you do believe in his talent, I agree that dudes contract is too much.

@BSLRobShields

#67 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,585 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:30 PM

Seth just posted this on his FB page:

Since being recalled to the Majors for good on June 7, Orioles outfielder Anthony Santander has hit more home runs than Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman.

He has more hits than Mike Trout, Michael Brantley and others.

#rebuild
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@BSLRobShields

#68 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:48 PM

2019: .261/.297/.476 (.773), 20 doubles, 1 triple, 20 HR, 59 RBI, 1 SB, 380 AB

0 user(s) are reading this topic