• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,565 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Ricker Says and SammyBirdland are on pace to be the first BSL posters to achieve the MD flag swatch.

When a poster obtains the first swatch, would you like to see them begin building a new flag, or working on a new icon all together?

If a new icon, what ideas do you have?

#2 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,283 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hmm... maybe we could go with the theme of the message board; something Terps related, then something O's related, etc. Good idea. I'm also not opposed to a 2nd flag, necessarily. I'd be interested to see what other people think.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#3 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hmm... maybe we could go with the theme of the message board; something Terps related, then something O's related, etc. Good idea. I'm also not opposed to a 2nd flag, necessarily. I'd be interested to see what other people think.

This. Could be pretty cool.
@JeffLongBP

#4 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,283 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

This. Could be pretty cool.

My biggest concern with the O's/Terps/Ravens idea is that many on here are Redskins, Dook, UNC, Xavier (Chrispy Bacon) fans, so on so forth. I imagine that wouldn't be favorable to them.

Maybe we could do a Baltimore flag. Every other icon could alternate between MD State Flag, and Baltimore city flag? Just a thought.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,565 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

My biggest concern with the O's/Terps/Ravens idea is that many on here are Redskins, Dook, UNC, Xavier (Chrispy Bacon) fans, so on so forth. I imagine that wouldn't be favorable to them.

Maybe we could do a Baltimore flag. Every other icon could alternate between MD State Flag, and Baltimore city flag? Just a thought.

Maybe a generic Baseball, Football, Basketball? A crab?

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

I think a crab would be cool. You probably couldn't see it because the image would be too small, but an idea could be the Baltimore skyline (similar to BSL's background).
  • Icterus galbula likes this

#7 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

I think a crab would be cool. You probably couldn't see it because the image would be too small, but an idea could be the Baltimore skyline (similar to BSL's background).

Thats an awesome idea! MD flag, then Bmore skyline.

#8 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

You want this to be related to the area, not any one sport... is this correct?

If so, well, let's see:
* Blue crab
* Fort McHenry
* Poe
* 15 star flag (with bullet holes)
* Skipjack and/or Baltimore clipper
* Lacrosse sticks
* Oriole (state bird, not ballclub)
* Diner scene
* Mr. Boh
* Inner harbor

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#9 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

I think keeping with the same swatch is good enough. Before some posters started getting the third portion, I thought that it was going to end up looking just like the Maryland flag, with two portions up top and two down below, which would take ~700 or whatever to get. The Baltimore city and Star-Spangled Banner swatches could be very interesting, but if we're going with three-part swatches, there won't be anything interesting happening with the Star-Spangled Banner swatch after getting out of the blue field - the stripes would just become longer. Probably best to only use Maryland flag swatches, or at the most alternate between Maryland flag and Baltimore city flag swatches - the more cohesive the symbology, the better, I think.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,565 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

I think keeping with the same swatch is good enough. Before some posters started getting the third portion, I thought that it was going to end up looking just like the Maryland flag, with two portions up top and two down below, which would take ~700 or whatever to get. The Baltimore city and Star-Spangled Banner swatches could be very interesting, but if we're going with three-part swatches, there won't be anything interesting happening with the Star-Spangled Banner swatch after getting out of the blue field - the stripes would just become longer. Probably best to only use Maryland flag swatches, or at the most alternate between Maryland flag and Baltimore city flag swatches - the more cohesive the symbology, the better, I think.

Some good ideas in this thread, but I'm leading towards Don's comments.

#11 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

* Mr. Boh

Oooh, I like that idea. I love this logo from one of the t-shirts you can get at the museum next to Camden Yards. However, we might run into copyright problems...

Posted Image
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#12 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

Oooh, I like that idea. I love this logo from one of the t-shirts you can get at the museum next to Camden Yards. However, we might run into copyright problems...

Posted Image

Yeah... if they decide they disapprove of free advertising... then they could send a letter telling you to stop... but that's the worst they're gonna do... it's not like anybody's going to jail or paying a fine or anything like that.

They also likely won't give permission in advance, simply because that would require a committee meeting full of paranoid corporate lawyers... this is a classic case of "it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"...

#13 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

Also, you will notice that the Mr. Boh on the orange shirt isn't really Mr. Boh... it's different. I'm guessing that was a gentleman's agreement that boiled down to "You cannot use Mr. Boh... but we won't holler if you use a bird-ified cousin (wink-wink)"

#14 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

When I initially discussed the MD flag swatch with Sammy, he liked the idea, and like Don said earlier, the original thought was for a larger appropriately-symmetrical flag, not just a thin section. However, for those that would prefer an alternative, perhaps we could start a new campaign to design a BSL logo, and use that concept as the new swatch.

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#15 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

I like the idea of a crab if you are looking for an icon. Maybe combine it with the MD flag, something similar to these found on google?

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@KRL224

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,002 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

I like the idea of a crab if you are looking for an icon. Maybe combine it with the MD flag, something similar to these found on google?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like this idea. If not a crab, maybe an outline of the state of Maryland with the flag running through it. That's my plan for my next tattoo, in fact.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,565 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

Some good thoughts in this thread, thanks.

#18 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

I noticed this earlier when giving you karma, Stoner.

Once you finish the flag (which you and Ricker have done), it appears that a new bar does not appear. For instance, before I gave you karma, you had the full flag. After the given karma, no changes.

Just though I'd bring that up.

#19 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

The good news is that karma will keep tallying while we are deciding on what to do next, so no one will lose anything.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners