Photo

Golf: Tips, Equipment, How Bad Are You?, etc...

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,777 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

30% off at Callaway pre-owned today if anyone is interested.

#142 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:48 PM

So if you haven’t been fitted for your clubs, I highly recommend it. Also, the most important thing in your driver is a shaft that matches your swing. Buying a driver off the rack is a waste.

I say this because this morning I went to the driving range. I got to thinking as I’m shaking off the rust that I’ve had my driver for over 6 years now. TaylorMade RBZ. It’s fitted with the stiffest shaft and has a steel shaft insert at the bottom 8 inches or so. It’s the one Bubba Watson uses.

So I go to golf galaxy to hit some drivers off their clearance rack to see if anything newer feels great, better distance given technology advances. The clubs obviously don’t have my shaft. I get on the monitor with two drivers and my club speed barely touches 100 and my drives are all out of whack. Only going about 235 on the fly. I hit my own driver on the monitor, 108 swing speed, 275 carry. It’s all about where the kick point is in your shaft based on your swing that gives you max speed at impact.

So if you buy a driver, get fitted. Or take your driver to a shop with a monitor and a pro. See if your spin rate is ok. Might need a new shaft to improve your driving game.
@BSLMikeRandall

#143 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:59 AM

My golf game has gone to hell this year, but at the same time, I'm making just enough shots to keep me coming back. Yesterday I played Mount Pleasant and on the 1st hole hit a bad drive, pitched back to the fairway, and hit my 4-hybrid 205 yards off the pin on one bounce and putted a 3 footer for birdie. Easy game. Still ended up shooting 112!!! I've tracked all my rounds since 2014, about 40 of them. Worst round since at least 2013. 

This year I've played in two best ball tournaments and been fine, made my fair share of shots with the team. But played three times keeping my own score and haven't broken 100. I thought for a few years now 100 was in my rear view and I was focusing on breaking 90. Now I'm back to trying to break 100 again. 

Worst part is I think I know what I'm doing wrong, I just cant fix it. I'll take a practice swing that is just right. Then put a ball in the way and all of a sudden I'm trying to hit a ball instead of make a swing. Tighten up, strangle my grip on the club. Thinking too much over the ball. 

• NewMarketSean likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#144 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

My golf game has gone to hell this year, but at the same time, I'm making just enough shots to keep me coming back. Yesterday I played Mount Pleasant and on the 1st hole hit a bad drive, pitched back to the fairway, and hit my 4-hybrid 205 yards off the pin on one bounce and putted a 3 footer for birdie. Easy game. Still ended up shooting 112!!! I've tracked all my rounds since 2014, about 40 of them. Worst round since at least 2013. 

This year I've played in two best ball tournaments and been fine, made my fair share of shots with the team. But played three times keeping my own score and haven't broken 100. I thought for a few years now 100 was in my rear view and I was focusing on breaking 90. Now I'm back to trying to break 100 again. 

Worst part is I think I know what I'm doing wrong, I just cant fix it. I'll take a practice swing that is just right. Then put a ball in the way and all of a sudden I'm trying to hit a ball instead of make a swing. Tighten up, strangle my grip on the club. Thinking too much over the ball. 

It's so mental, man.

I'm in the same boat. Usually flirt with 100. Usually end up shooting 102.

Still have a handful of awful shots I wish I could have back and replace them with just OK ones, and I'd be shooting in the mid-90's.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#145 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,777 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:24 AM

This year I've played in two best ball tournaments and been fine, made my fair share of shots with the team.

Apologies for the obnoxious distinction, but this is a scramble format not a best ball format.  Scramble is when everyone hits tee shots, the group goes to the best one and everyone picks their balls up, then everyone hits a second shot from the best drive location, and so on.  Best ball is when everyone plays their own ball tee to hole and then the team records the lowest individual score as the team's score.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#146 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

It's so mental, man.

I'm in the same boat. Usually flirt with 100. Usually end up shooting 102.

Still have a handful of awful shots I wish I could have back and replace them with just OK ones, and I'd be shooting in the mid-90's.

Yeah. I had a run of a couple years where breaking 90 was possible. Did it exactly one time with an 88. Shot mostly 93-98. I'd track my 3 putts and penalties. If you make my 3 putts into 2, and take off penalties, I could shoot 85. If I did that with my 112 yesterday I still shot just a 99...with a birdie on the card. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#147 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:26 AM

Apologies for the obnoxious distinction, but this is a scramble format not a best ball format.  Scramble is when everyone hits tee shots, the group goes to the best one and everyone picks their balls up, then everyone hits a second shot from the best drive location, and so on.  Best ball is when everyone plays their own ball tee to hole and then the team records the lowest individual score as the team's score.

Yeah your right. Scramble format.

@BSLMikeRandall

#148 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,777 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

I've been mostly terrible this season myself.  Best round was a 94, my final round of my golf trip to Myrtle Beach in late May.  Had played absolutely abysmally the two previous rounds, hitting very near to zero good drives or irons the entire two rounds.  So I put the driver away, clubbed up on every iron shot, and tried to swing absolutely as slowly and calmly as I could.  Hit the ball much more consistently and straighter. 

#149 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,582 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

I have been going right a lot this year...driving me crazy.
@BSLRobShields

#150 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:29 PM

I think I’m the Chris Davis of golf. I’m playing worse than ever. But today...during my 104 (8 shots better than my previous 112 but still terrible!) I pitched in from about 30 yards out. It was for par though cause on the par 3 I teed into the sand, then trying to get out hit it thin, way over the green. Like Davis I hit one shot a round (a week or two) that shows other people, I can actually do this.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners