BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

BSL: 2017 Season Preview - The Tight Ends

Walt Bell doesn't use his tight ends much in the passing game, but there are a few young players on the roster who could change that in the near future.

• BSLChrisStoner and Markus like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 EricGarland

EricGarland

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

The role of tight end has been mainly relegated to pass blocking and protection. That's extremely important, but I do miss the days when we had a solid pass catching TE. Of course, it's a product of offenses that haven't been able to move the ball in the air well. 

Maryland's had some good pass catching tight ends in the past. Vernon Davis (who I rank only behind Stefon Diggs as the most athletic and talented player of my last 13 plus years watching Maryland football in person) was a monster. Joey Haynos was good too. Furstenburg was solid. 

Would like to see a tight end emerge here in the pass game again, as our QB talent (hopefully) improves. Avery Edwards did drop off the face of the earth. Get this man the ball more! A former sports colleague of mine who interviewed him once said that he certainly doesn't lack confidence. He spoke of himself of not "if" he makes it to the NFL, but "when" he makes it to the NFL, which is interesting. I guess that's the mindset you have to have. But he won't make it unless he gets involved with this dang offense again. 

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

The role of tight end has been mainly relegated to pass blocking and protection. That's extremely important, but I do miss the days when we had a solid pass catching TE. Of course, it's a product of offenses that haven't been able to move the ball in the air well. 

Maryland's had some good pass catching tight ends in the past. Vernon Davis (who I rank only behind Stefon Diggs as the most athletic and talented player of my last 13 plus years watching Maryland football in person) was a monster. Joey Haynos was good too. Furstenburg was solid. 

Would like to see a tight end emerge here in the pass game again, as our QB talent (hopefully) improves. Avery Edwards did drop off the face of the earth. Get this man the ball more! A former sports colleague of mine who interviewed him once said that he certainly doesn't lack confidence. He spoke of himself of not "if" he makes it to the NFL, but "when" he makes it to the NFL, which is interesting. I guess that's the mindset you have to have. But he won't make it unless he gets involved with this dang offense again. 

All excellent points. I think the lack of use of the tight end by Bell is probably due to personnel rather than scheme. It was also clear that, due to the offensive line's struggles in pass protection, the tight end was used as an extra blocker on passing downs. If they can improve there this season, we should see Hayward and Edwards able to slip out into the flat or across the field for some easy completions. Avery also seems very comfortable finding holes in the zone on seam routes, the best way to stretch the field with talented tight ends.

The spread offense is very accommodating to talented tight ends. Just look at Eric Ebron at North Carolina or Evan Engram at Ole Miss. That's clearly the type of player Bell is looking for. Both Noah Barnes and Andrew Park are taller, leaner pass-catching tight ends, a mold that Avery Edwards fits as well. Hopefully Avery can find a bigger role in this offense. 

@BSLZackKiesel

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

IMS: Durkin Says Tight Ends "Need to Be" More Involved This Year
http://maryland.247s...volve-106331522

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners