BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

BSL: 2017 Season Preview - The Quarterbacks

Over the course of the next few months, I'll be previewing each position for the Maryland football team and giving my thoughts on each player on the roster. We start with the quarterbacks, and a new face as the projected starter in 2017.

Who do you want to see start for the Terps? Would you rather them redshirt Hill this season, or throw him into the fire as a true freshman?

• McNulty likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Based on the reviews of Henderson, and having the additional experience (not just as MD, but just out of HS)... I would expect him to go into Summer camp ahead of Hill.

If there is a big gap between them, I'd be fine with RS Hill, and going with Henderson, Pigrome, Bortenschlager....   However, if Hill holds his own in competition with Henderson in August I'd let the season progress a bit before making that RS decision.

It's crazy how much of a difference it would be for MD if the Terps just got 'average' Big Ten QB play. 

With the line in-front of them (if the pass blocking improves to match the run-blocking) and the skill position talent which exists....  plus the talent of these 4 QB's...  MD should have a quality offense.

I'm definitely of the belief that one of these four guys is going to be productive.

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

247Sports: Maryland Adds Another Quarterback

2-star QB Legend Brumbaugh, son of new co-defensive coordinator/defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh, has announced his transfer from Tennessee-Martin to Maryland.

@BSLZackKiesel

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland football's 2 new dual-threat QBs could change the offensive dynamic

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

IMS: Two Noteworthy Developments as Terps' QB Competition Heats Up
http://maryland.247s...tween-105740014

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

Keith Cavanaugh was on 105.7 yesterday, and said if the season was opening yesterday... Piggy would be the starter.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Keith Cavanaugh was on 105.7 yesterday, and said if the season was opening yesterday... Piggy would be the starter.

Yeah, reports have been really good on him. Have also heard some very good things on Henderson, so we'll see. I still think Henderson wins the job unless Piggy has made some massive strides as a passer. Of course, we all assumed Caleb Rowe would be the starter in 2015 and we know how that worked out. So anything is possible.

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,786 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

I saw a quote from Durkin the other day, probably at the Cole grand opening, where he singled out Pigrome when asked about the QBs so far.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

IMS: After Seven Practices, Hill "Doesn't Look like a Freshman"
http://maryland.247s...-Hill-105951675

• Greg Pappas likes this

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

IMS: After Seven Practices, Hill "Doesn't Look like a Freshman"
http://maryland.247s...-Hill-105951675

It would be really big for the program if Hill can win this job. I don't think it happens (at least not in September), but that would be a huge block to build around sooner than we thought.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

It would be really big for the program if Hill can win this job. I don't think it happens (at least not in September), but that would be a huge block to build around sooner than we thought.

I think it is going to be Hill.

Had Henderson not missed the Spring, and had been 100% ready this Summer... I think it would have been him.

Right now, I think Hill has closed the gap. I think the quote of doesn't look like a Freshman is telling. 

Pigrome could go Week 1 if you didn't want to throw the True Freshman into 'the lights' at Texas... but right now, I expect Hill is going to get the chance to start (with the expectation that Pigrome will get multiple series himself).

• Greg Pappas likes this

#12 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,140 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

That'd be really exciting. May not work out well out of the gate, but it would only add to the intrigue of this season for me.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

I think it is going to be Hill.

Had Henderson not missed the Spring, and had been 100% ready this Summer... I think it would have been him.

Right now, I think Hill has closed the gap. I think the quote of doesn't look like a Freshman is telling. 

Pigrome could go Week 1 if you didn't want to throw the True Freshman into 'the lights' at Texas... but right now, I expect Hill is going to get the chance to start (with the expectation that Pigrome will get multiple series himself).

Yeah, this Henderson injury seems to have set him back more significantly than we thought. Hill and Piggy are very different QBs, so having Hill start, with Piggy playing a very defined role near the goal line (like J.T. Barrett at OSU last year) wouldn't be a bad idea.

@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

IMS: Friday Practice Report: And Then there Were Two QBs?
http://maryland.247s...tice--106296303

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

IMS: Is the Terps' Quarterback Competition all but Settled?
http://maryland.247s...o-One-106407764

Looks like it is Piggy... love the athleticism... but only a matter of time until Hill takes over.

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

IMS: Is the Terps' Quarterback Competition all but Settled?
http://maryland.247s...o-One-106407764

Looks like it is Piggy... love the athleticism... but only a matter of time until Hill takes over.

Yeah, once Hill gets his feet under him I think you could use the two of them similarly to how OSU used Jones and Barrett last season. Jones was the starter, but Barrett came in near the goal line to spread the defense out with his running ability.

An interesting thing to note is that the article mentions an increase in the number of QB runs this season. That definitely makes sense, since they focused on the RBs last year with Perry Hills behind center. With the offense moving at an increased tempo, I think Piggy could definitely have some success with quick reads and options to keep the defense off-balanced. The problem I see is when the offense gets behind the chains. He'll need to prove that he can dig his way out of some holes with his arm, which is what he couldn't do last season.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners