#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

I'm not trying to be ignorant here....but don't all teams fill out their rosters with these guys?

There are way more players looking for jobs than jobs....so all of them are looking for a place that gives them opportunity.

Nothing against these guys or the fact that DD gets them....I just don't know that it's much of a statement of credit.

---------------

Largely, I think the group will be irrelevant....but for basically nothing....ok.  

Gentry goes to AAA while we see how Rickard performs.

Nuno has a chance to make the team as a LHRP....if not provides some AAA insurance.

Choice hopes 4-5 others fail to give him an opportunity.

Francisco....actually wanted to get the guy from the Reds about 5 years ago.

Ynoa....modest starter depth....we've given away better pitchers.

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,865 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

Add Bourn to the list

Orioles Re-Sign Michael Bourn
https://www.mlbtrade...hael-bourn.html
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@BSLRobShields

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

Add Bourn to the list

Feels like a deal to respect the work last year and get him into a camp to work out.

The ML portion is some compensation if the Orioles need him.

He's hanging with the O's waiting for an injury somewhere that opens up an opportunity.  If nothing emerges...he can go to AAA and keep working.

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,865 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:47 PM

East Notes: Bourn, Hellickson, Prado, Locke
https://www.mlbtrade...rado-locke.html

I just don't get how he makes the team.
@BSLRobShields

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:08 AM

I just don't get how he makes the team.

...well....it's Dan....

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

The more I think about it the more I think he has a good shot of making the team. Buck loves his vets. It also seems inevitable that two of our reserves will be OFers. Hes insurance against injury to any of the starting OFers and also if Smith or Kim struggle. Particularly Kim. Despite the solid year last year I dont think Kim has as much leash as a lot of people think he has. Mancini seems destined to start the year in AAA and Rickard is probaly going to have to earn a spot again. At least beat out Gentry. 

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

Yeah, I don't know.

so....if Bourn makes the team....when does he actually get in a game?....the same really goes for Tavarez too.  The additional LHed bat that's only really a LHed bat just doesn't fit unless you just don't care about using the spot.

Also, I'm not saying Gentry doesn't get an opportunity, but he's on a MiL deal...and if you put him on the roster early, you have a different 'roster moves' issue....I guess anyone can look so good they force their way in....but is Gentry really that guy?

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,865 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:58 AM

The more I think about it the more I think he has a good shot of making the team. Buck loves his vets. It also seems inevitable that two of our reserves will be OFers. Hes insurance against injury to any of the starting OFers and also if Smith or Kim struggle. Particularly Kim. Despite the solid year last year I dont think Kim has as much leash as a lot of people think he has. Mancini seems destined to start the year in AAA and Rickard is probaly going to have to earn a spot again. At least beat out Gentry.

Kim made Buck look like a fool last year...I guess it's possible Buck didn't learn from that.
@BSLRobShields

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,865 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

From Schmuck:

Dan Duquette was looking for left-handed outfield bats when the offseason started. Now he's got seven of them. #orioles

And none of them can hit lefties. I just dont get it.
@BSLRobShields

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

No risk move but I still don't understand the philosophy of bringing so many potential OFers to camp when every single one of them save Jones is a platoon player. How many platoon players can a team carry on a 25 man roster?

#12 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,418 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

From Schmuck:

Dan Duquette was looking for left-handed outfield bats when the offseason started. Now he's got seven of them. #orioles

And none of them can hit lefties. I just dont get it.

It's almost as if he's secretly sabotaging the team.

You'd think someone in the org would say cool it with the trades where we give up decent prospects for fodder, and stockpile more fodder-type players from the free agency list. I wonder if anyone is even paying attention.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

It's almost as if he's secretly sabotaging the team.

Guys. He's not sabotaging the team, at least in this instance. It's Spring Training and AAA depth for the year if it's there. Most of these guys were brought in for cash or to be fill. Dude is right, there's nothing to see here, as most teams do stuff like this at this stage. 

I mean, fine I could live without Nuno, but calling a 22-year old Moseley who is in A right now a decent prospect is a long stretch. I get not wanting to give up an asset at all, but at the end of the day parting with Moseley is hardly, by itself, worthing getting worked up over. Or leading us to sabotage territory as an accusation.

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,865 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

Guys. He's not sabotaging the team, at least in this instance. It's Spring Training and AAA depth for the year if it's there. Most of these guys were brought in for cash or to be fill. Dude is right, there's nothing to see here, as most teams do stuff like this at this stage.

I mean, fine I could live without Nuno, but calling a 22-year old Moseley who is in A right now a decent prospect is a long stretch. I get not wanting to give up an asset at all, but at the end of the day parting with Moseley is hardly, by itself, worthing getting worked up over. Or leading us to sabotage territory as an accusation.

It's the consistent decision making from him. The throwing away of prospects. Ignoring obvious needs and just adding to them.

One move in and of itself is meaningless. But a consistent pattern is awful. You have no idea what Mosely could develop into. They liked him enough to draft him in the 8thR. You added someone who isn't really good and doesn't fit well with our park or our defense.

It just makes little sense.
@BSLRobShields

#15 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,418 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

So many LH hitters who don't do well against LHP. David Price, Chris Sale in division. It's like they're making these moves in a vacuum despite the division's improvements.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,865 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

I get the idea of Bourn. He does help with some of the issues. But again, how does he fit?

Davis, Schoop, JJ, Manny, Smith, Kim, Jones, Trumbo, Flaherty, Castillo, Joseph

11 position players. We probably take 13. Mancini, Rickard, Bourn and the rule 5 guys.

Bourn, Smith and probably Kim need to be platooned. We have no righty platoon bat other than maybe Rickard.

If Mancini goes to AAA, what is your lineup vs lefties? It means one of those guys has to play vs lefties.
@BSLRobShields

#17 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

I've been wanting Bourn back all offseason. O's don't have enough of guys like him, and they always add them in September when they realize they need the added dynamic and it helps them win games. And by September is costs you a piece of the farm system.

Be nice nice to have that added dynamic all year. Bourn should make the team as late game pinch run option, if not be the #9 hitter or leadoff hitter.
@BSLMikeRandall

#18 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

I think there are two arguments being combined into one here. First, being slightly non-strategic in their ST and miL additions. These decisions not making sense doesn't equate to sabotage. Maybe DD and Buck want insurance on a LHB because they already promised Trumbo ABs in RF against lefites and are happy with Rickard Jones Trumbo Mancini (DH). Yeah, maybe we should have brought Raburn in...I can see an objection there. But these moves are on the fringes anyway, and maybe Rayburn didn't think he could actually get playing time here. If that's the setup, I want Mancini on the roster and then all these extra lefties have to really earn their way onto the roster or their just AAA filler. 

The trading prospect things, I'm with you when guys have value. And that trend is not great for DD but this trade was not quite the same as Hader or Davies. I don't think Moseley meant much and have no problem sending off an 8th rounder for a guy you think will be on your 25. I trust any team to know if he's going to turn into something after a year. You usually see about 2-3 guys tops that ever give any positive WAR out of that round and they are better and often younger than Moseley. 

Now you can hate who / how they draft, or you can hate the Moseley pick in the first place for not taking a guy with higher upside (he really didn't seem to have a ton) but the 8th round of the MLB draft is a pretty long-shot to get a ML, let alone a useful one. From a quick BBref glance, Nuno's 3.3 WAR is probably a top 10 WAR compared to 8th round picks over the last 8 or so seasons. 

I just think there's a bit of a sky is falling attitude around here for these fringy types. And a quickness to call sabotage or stupidity over pretty inconsequential ST moves. 

#19 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

I know Buck would never sit Davis against lefties, but I would. 

Living in reality, that means vs LHP you've got:

Rickard

Machado

Trumbo

Davis

Jones

Schoop

Hardy

Castillo

Gentry

Against RHP, you trade in Kim and Smith for Gentry and Rickard.  For RHP, your bench is:

Gentry, Rickard, Joseph, Flaherty.  Option Mancini.  Bourn is for insurance only.

Obviously they can carry an extra guy early on, but this is what I see eventually.

Edit: and worrying about an 8th round reliever with control issues for a guy who has already made the majors is ridiculous. 

@fuzydunlop

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

Bourn's splits aren't horrible.  For his career, he's 702 OPS v RHP and 644 v LHP.  That's not particularly good regardless of which hand the pitcher throws with, but if he's hitting well enough overall to be useful against RHP, then he probably would remain close to useful against LHP.

He's been all over the place in terms of single-season numbers against LHP, from terrible in the low 500s OPS to almost a 850 OPS last season.

I think he's just depth, but I like having him around in Norfolk in case we end up needing him.  If Gentry looks like he's cooked and Rickard doesn't seem fully recovered from his injury (or doesn't hit or field well in ST) then he'd have a shot at the Opening Day roster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners