• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,483 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:41 AM

Chris Davis is "a potted plant slugger"?

That's what folks unfamiliar with the Orioles and Chris Davis say...

• Mike B likes this

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,299 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:37 AM

Yeah, good piece but that's an inaccurate perception of Chris.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,837 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

Excellent writeup. What concerns me is that we know this teams weaknesses (OF defense and overall OBP).  Every sportswriter out there knows the weaknesses. And we even have a key current player (Jones) openly expressing his recognition of these issues. And even the GM himself stated that the offseason priorities (once again) were to address these weaknesses.  Yet the best the front office could do is to bring in a platoon player (Smith) who hardly adds squat from a defensive perspective and maybe helps OBP except he cant' hit lefties of which we will face plenty in the AL East.

I get some of what DD can do is tied up with the owner. But good grief this has been an going issue for several years and he simply doesn't really address it.

So the X factors (and I think it has to be plural because there are just several key things that this team will have to have happen for them to have any kind of shot to make the post season, and not to talk injuries since that is really the case for most every team every year.).

1. The rotation - the front three have to at least pitch as much and as well as last year. The back two need to pitch better than they did overall last year.

2. Kim needs to be able to hit LF pitchers and be able to hold down the leadoff spot so Jones can get back down in the lineup.

3. Team is going to have to hit well north of 200 home runs again.

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,192 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

Chris Davis is "a potted plant slugger"?

That's what folks unfamiliar with the Orioles and Chris Davis say...

Yea, thought that characterization was wrong.  Davis is a plus-plus first baseman IMO.

@mikeghg

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

He's plus plus at striking out

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,192 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

He's plus plus at striking out

The comment was aimed at his defense.  he is by no means a potted plant, defensively.

@mikeghg

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

He's certainly not plus plus defensively either. Great arm, decent range, suspect hands. Leads to being avg defensively.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,312 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

He's definitely not a potted plant defensively, he's got good range at 1B (though I agree with Nickle that he's got stone hands) and I think also would be a good defensive RF if moved their fulltime.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,192 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

He's certainly not plus plus defensively either. Great arm, decent range, suspect hands. Leads to being avg defensively.

Your opinion.  If Davis is average at first base, then the above average and good first baseman is a very small group.

Davis is very good at the scoop on bad throws...suspect hands guys do not scoop the ball well.

The range thing is also interesting.  I think he has problems when he ranges to far.  He covers a lot of ground...at times too much to the second base side.

I realize though we look at things differently.  I generally see the plus side too much, while you usually are spotting the opposite side of a player.

Davis is a very good first baseman.  IMO.

• dude likes this
@mikeghg

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,312 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

I think Davis boots ground balls way more often than his counterparts when I watch games.  Schoop must have corraled ricochets and still gotten a putout after Davis had a ball kick off his glove a half dozen times last year.  I think he's solid at scooping, but not dramatically different than the opponent's 1B that I get to see, so I'd call him average at that, if others think he's more adept at scooping than his peers (Buck certainly does) that's fine.  I think his range is really good, better than most if not nearly all.  His arm is the best around, but how often do 1B need to use their arm?  That's slightly more useful than if a relief pitcher can run really fast.

I think he's an above average 1B overall.  I think he'd be comparatively better if he moved to RF.  His arm would be much more valuable, I think he'd have as much range as all the other RF out there except for the small handful that have recently shifted from CF, and I think his difficulty fielding grounders would no longer be any hindrance.

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, grounders are where his poor hands show the most. He's fine at scooping balls and his gfootwork around the bag is solid. However, scooping balls is one of the easier things first baseman do. I don't think his range is as good as some of you think though 1b don't need to have particularly great range either. It's a relatively easy position to play and being sure handed is the most crucial aspect to being a good 1b. Thats his weakness.

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,192 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

It is funny to read this....his hands started suspect, now they are down to poor.  Before this thread has run its course he is going to be a double amputee.

I really think this thread is based on us seeing Davis 155 games a year...We see the bad plays and the good plays.  For some, me, the good plays stick out, for others it is the bad ones.

I have a good friend who lives in Pleasanton California and is a huge Angels fan.  They have a pretty good centerfielder, there, but I talked to him after and Orioles-Angels game last year and the Orioles found some holes in front of their centerfielder and won the game.

His comment was...if our damn centerfielder, did not insist on  having his back against the fence we would have won that game.  I told him, that they could send him here anytime he wanted.  I also mentioned that all the Angels outfielders played deep.  His comment, was damn guy can not go back on the ball.  

Even a guy as great as Trout, has negative plays and their fans see them...

I am older than most and it used to be you could not say anything bad about the local guys.  Now with all the social media, message boards, talk shows etc...the negativity on the local team is magnified.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZachSpedden like this
@mikeghg

#14 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

Not to break up the potted plant discussion, but I agree with Bob's take on Bundy. My assessment of Bundy is that his 2016 was about as good as you could hope for given the circumstances. (Remember before the year started, 75 innings of decent middle relief work was a hopeful forecast.) There's room to improve his command and off-speed stuff, but he's talented enough to iron that out with experience. That's why his health is so key. 

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,800 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

Yea, Bundy is huge in terms of what the long term ceiling of this team is.

He can be mediocre and we can make the playoffs with that...but to go deep in the playoffs, he may be very valuable..although how many innings can he throw? That's up in the air.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners