• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

At this point in the offseason, it seems that the Baltimore Orioles might have a place for Trey Mancini. The prospect who burst onto the major league roster with a solid debut in September is certainly in the picture for the Opening Day roster, as the Orioles try to fill some holes offensively.

http://baltimorespor...lace-orioles-2/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,419 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

I'll beat this drum again.  

I don't understand the need to fit round pegs in square holes.

Mancini is a decent 1B and has a projectable bat.  He won't get a lot of prospect play because nobody projects RHed 1B bats (all the guys on mlb.com top10 are LHed or Switch).  I don't really want to stifle his career at DH simply because.

Why can't you just find a team that has a need for his profile and create a deal?

It's a rhetorical question, both at the collective and Oriole specific level.

#3 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

1. Mancini at 1B and Davis in RF. I just don't see any reason not to do this unless they are concerned with Mancini's defense or a perceived higher injury potential to Davis in RF instead of 1B.

2. Sign a real RFer and keep Mancini as a DH and bench option.

3. Trade Mancini for an OFer.

Yet somehow the O's will go out and sign a DH and as Dude said try once again to fit a square peg into a round hole. I guess for the FO it boils down to is Mancini ready to be on the 25 man roster or would another season at AAA benefit him?

• BSLChrisStoner and FFH like this

#4 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:08 PM

Yet somehow the O's will go out and sign a DH and as Dude said try once again to fit a square peg into a round hole. I guess for the FO it boils down to is Mancini ready to be on the 25 man roster or would another season at AAA benefit him?

Neither. The Orioles may decide they want some depth in the minors in case a player gets hurt. Mancini is a great Plan B and a weak Plan A. If the Os are out of money though, well...

#5 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:33 AM

Neither. The Orioles may decide they want some depth in the minors in case a player gets hurt. Mancini is a great Plan B and a weak Plan A. If the Os are out of money though, well...

I disagree that he's a weak plan A, especially for DH.
He's an unknown but projectable quantity with a great week in MLB, questionable defense, and a lot of potential.
At 24, this is the kind of bat that could be a cornerstone in the lineup as early as next year, but with real expectation in 2018.
It would be fine to trade him for value, but his performance in the minors and his short stint in the majors suggests that he has the potential to provide real return if he's given a chance and not dicked around....

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,989 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:23 PM

Camden Chat: What should Trey Mancini’s role be on the 2017 Orioles?

#7 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:32 PM

Camden Chat: What should Trey Mancini’s role be on the 2017 Orioles?

As it's been said before - trade bait.  Love what he can do vs. LHP but the Orioles could platoon Castillo there and save the roster spot for a more versatile player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners