#1 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

Ravens head up to NE to play the Patriots on MNF.  It's going to be a tough challenge but the Ravens match-up well.

http://baltimorespor...gland-patriots/

• BSLChrisStoner and jkough1 like this
@gabefergy

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,814 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Ravens are up to 9th in DVOA...NE is 1.

Pitt is 7th btw.
@BSLRobShields

#3 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:18 AM

Sounds about right. Personally, I think the Ravens are a slightly better team than the Steelers but they are pretty close. Pats are a notch above either in a vacuum.
@gabefergy

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,814 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:35 AM

Pitt up to 8th in defensive DVOA

NE is 19th...25th in passing and 4th in rushing.
@BSLRobShields

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,814 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:42 AM

http://mmqb.si.com/m...ens-run-defense
@BSLRobShields

#6 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

The Patriots love to use the underneath routes and shallow crossing patterns in traffic; we'll probably see Brady in the gun quite a bit and the ball will be out quickly. Obviously you'd love to be able to hit Brady as much as possible but that could be a tall task. The best play is A gap pressure whenever we can and try to make Brady move his feet. Also, the Dline should get their hands up to try to bat down the quick passes. Lastly, the linebackers and secondary have to bring the receivers down quickly and prevent as much YAC as they can. The Pats often throw short of the sticks on 3rd down and rely on the WRs to make a ply.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats tried to do the hurry up/quick snap gimmick that they employ from time to time. That way they can limit our substitutions and potentially tire out our interior Dlinemen.

Defensively, the Pats employed a lot of zone coverage vs the Jets and only rushed 3 or 4 for a good portion of the snaps. If they employ the same type of gameplan against us, that could potentially open things up for Flacoo and the passing game, a la this past Sunday. I still would like to see some more balance in the play calling as it seems like we've found a good combination in West and Dixon. And of course, if we can run the ball effectively, that will hold the Pats LBs closer to the LOS and open up play action opportunities over the intermediate-middle of the field.

Always a tough task to go up to New England but we're exactly the kind of team they don't like to play. The Ravens don't give a damn about the Belechick/Brady "mystique" and we play a physical brand of football defensively that often gives Brady a tough time. After a few years of our defense being a bit down and/or injured, we're going into this matchup as healthy as we've been all year.

A few weeks can make all the difference and I'm much more optimistic about this matchup then I was about a month ago. The Gronk injury, Brady's knee issues, combined with us getting healthy and starting to heat up definitely levels the playing field. And despite the spread being 7-7.5, I think those of us familiar with these Ravens-Patriots matchup know that this one is more likely to be a back and forth battle, as opposed to an easy Pats victory.

• BSLChrisStoner and jkough1 like this
@primetime667083

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,814 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

To me, this game is all about one thing...can the Ravens avoid stupidity?

That includes coaching, penalties, mental mistakes, etc...

The Pats are not going to be stupid. If the Ravens aren't stupid, I think they win.

But it's not likely they can do that.

As I said a few weeks ago...my guess is that after this game, we will be saying that we should have won had they not done.....
@BSLRobShields

#8 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

As I said a few weeks ago...my guess is that after this game, we will be saying that we should have won had they not done.....

This is what has been so darn frustrating about the Ravens the last two years. In a lot of games, particularly before Joe went down last year it just felt like we were that close. And some adjustments by coaches or smarter play by the players would have gone a long way in winning us a few more games. 

I look at the Oakland, NYG, Redskins, and NYJ game in this fashion this year. All very winnable games and we just didn't have it together in a "stupid" way be it execution, game plan or just dumb bone headed plays. 

I look at the last Pats game, see what they had to do with to Melvin and how hard they leaned on Gronk and I think the Pats are going to have their hands full. They by and large are a very similar team to that team. 

To me it all comes down to Joe. Can we do what we did in the first half up there in 2014? If we can and jump out to a lead and Pees can play his typical bend don't break and they keep plays in front of them and don't fall for the trick stuff...

I'm pumped for this game. More than I have been for a Ravens game since the last time we played them. So I'm trying to temper myself because I think we were going to beat them in '14 and after the first half I thought we did beat them. And I need to be ready for a let down, like Rob said, for something stupid. 

Imagine Rex doesn't call the TO, Evans makes the catch (or Cundiff makes the kick) and we stop that stupid trick junk last year. That's how close this series has been between these teams. 

And even if we drop this one, still got a great Pitt game coming up on Christmas too. 

• primetime likes this

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:27 PM

Sounds about right. Personally, I think the Ravens are a slightly better team than the Steelers but they are pretty close. Pats are a notch above either in a vacuum.

Lol. Slightly better

#10 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:01 PM

Lol. Slightly better

You provide so much to these boards.

@gabefergy

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

You provide so much to these boards.

We may be slightly better. When Ben is hurt.

#12 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

Lardarius Green being healthy and effective does really add something to their offense. Especially if they start to flash some more two TE looks effectively. 

I just kind of refuse to be afraid of Pitt or NE. The fact we beat them with a fully healthy Ben last year with Mallett at QB just takes some of that shine off of them. 

Should be 2 great games in the next 3 weeks. That will tell us all we need to know about who is the best between Balt / Pitt / NEP. 

#13 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

By the way, Flacco has played eight games against Brady and the New England Patriots over his career (regular season and postseason). He has a career 91.3 quarterback rating with 16 touchdowns to eight interceptions against them. He’s thrown for 2,063 yards.

By comparison, Brady has a 77.4 quarterback rating during those same eight games. He’s thrown 10 touchdowns to 10 interceptions and lost two fumbles. He’s thrown for 2,137 yards.

The Ravens’ record in those eight games is 3-5. The two quarterbacks have split four postseason matchups.

http://www.baltimore...70-ae0344b974c3

• BSLChrisStoner, jkough1 and BSLMikeRandall like this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#14 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:13 PM

We may be slightly better. When Ben is hurt.

We absolutely dominated them when Ben was "hurt".

@gabefergy

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

We absolutely dominated them when Ben was "hurt".

We won by 7 while getting a 95 yd TD pass and a blocked punt return for TD. 

We didn't come anywhere close to absolutely dominating them.  We did shut down their offense until garbage time, but we only got to garbage time because of some fluky plays.  Would've been crunch time otherwise, and who knows how that would've gone.

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,814 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

We didn't come anywhere close to absolutely dominating them. We did shut down their offense until garbage time, but we only got to garbage time because of some fluky plays. Would've been crunch time otherwise, and who knows how that would've gone.

Our defense dominated them. They didn't get past field until the 4thQ. They had 110 yards entering the quarter.
@BSLRobShields

#17 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

We didn't come anywhere close to absolutely dominating them. We did shut down their offense until garbage time, but we only got to garbage time because of some fluky plays. Would've been crunch time otherwise, and who knows how that would've gone.

You and Branden must have watched a different game than I did.
@gabefergy

#18 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

Yeah our offense didnt look great afyer the first half, but it seemed like the whole team went conservative in the 2nd half.
@gabefergy

#19 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

This Raiders game on TNF is fascinating. Osemele can't play, so the Raiders can't run, and suddenly the potential league MVP in Carr looks totally out of sorts and can't get th ball downfield to save his life. Collinsworth keeps harping on how the loss of Osemele has been huge.

Gives some perspective on what the Ravens went through earlier this year with basically the entire line out or nursing an injury. With that unit healthy and cohesive I really don't think the Miami win was a mirage.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:09 PM

This Raiders game on TNF is fascinating. Osemele can't play, so the Raiders can't run, and suddenly the potential league MVP in Carr looks totally out of sorts and can't get th ball downfield to save his life. Collinsworth keeps harping on how the loss of Osemele has been huge.

Gives some perspective on what the Ravens went through earlier this year with basically the entire line out or nursing an injury. With that unit healthy and cohesive I really don't think the Miami win was a mirage.

Carr is still dealing with that pinky injury on his throwing hand, too.  He completed 66% of his passes through the Carolina game (when he suffered the injury to begin the 2nd half) with no games below 62%.  He's completed just 47% of his passes in the two games since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners