• This topic is locked This topic is locked
408 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:34 PM

We aren't bringing back the politics section... but for today through Wednesday I'll keep this thread open to discuss the election results. Not to give your opinion on the candidates. Not to try and convince people to see your side. Just to acknowledge the results.

I posted this on FB, so I'll post it here as well...

The cool thing is Wednesday we can collectively turn our attention to the 2018 midterms.... I kid I kid.

Tomorrow night, roughly 50-60M votes will be cast for the 'losing' candidate. Remember those votes might represent completely diametrically opposing points of views from your own... but those people are also American.

Work to find common ground where common ground is possible, and where it's not.... there is always another election coming.

And as Rob and I were just saying to each other in messages....  I think everyone is collectively burnt-out by this process. Elections go on forever. I can't wait for Wednesday morning.

• DuffMan and BSLMikeRandall like this

#2 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

I got a call on my cell phone from one of the political parties to remind me to vote. My cell phone! No one has that number except family and work. D

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,741 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

I saw Silver has Hilary around 65% chance to win.  She is definitely winning the popular vote.  Still has some chance to lose the electoral vote if the margin for error is on Trump's side and/or he is getting a lot more votes from certain groups than anyone expects.

Still, I think this is in the bag for her.  

@BSLRobShields

#4 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

Given that the first thing the new president is going to do is nominate a replacement for Scalia, it's going to be interesting to see which party controls the Senate - I think Silver's got that at about 50/50 right now.  

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,741 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

It's going to be interesting to see which party controls the Senate - I think Silver's got that at about 50/50 right now.

Yea, thats what I saw too.

@BSLRobShields

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:33 PM

Once the Pennsylvania results come in, that will pretty much tell the story.

Dems win the Senate. Republicans hold the house.

Hillary wins with 318 electoral votes.

#7 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,398 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:09 PM

Given that the first thing the new president is going to do is nominate a replacement for Scalia, it's going to be interesting to see which party controls the Senate - I think Silver's got that at about 50/50 right now.  

It was 55/45 GOP earlier today. Big races in Nevada and NH tomorrow. Think an even split is most likely. Agreed, the Senate battle really is the only suspense heading into tomorrow.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#8 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,398 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:11 PM

Once the Pennsylvania results come in, that will pretty much tell the story. Dems win the Senate. Republicans hold the house. Hillary wins with 318 electoral votes.

I think the Comey news costs the Dems the Senate. It brought Trump back 3 points or so. Down ballot has consistently out performed Trump in polls, so this late swing could be real. Either way, the Senate call will take a while. Maybe even not until Wednesday.

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:15 PM

I hate the lead-up and everything, but I LOVE election night. It's like the NFL Draft, only to the tenth power and airing on every channel. So over the top, and for something that actually matters.

I hope that whatever the results, it's clear early. That way I can see the speeches and still get up for work in the morning, because far more than any other election I've lived thorough, I want to see the speeches tomorrow night most of all.
@DJ_McCann

#10 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,398 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:16 PM

I say there's at least a decent chance there's only one speech tomorrow night, lol.

#11 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:26 PM

hqdefault.jpg

• Ricker Says, BSLMikeRandall and Dupin like this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:29 PM

Yes, everyone loves South Park.  Let's please avoid commentary / opinions on either candidate, even if both are being slammed.

• RampageBassoon likes this

#13 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:41 PM

I really think we need to shorten the campaign cycle.  I'm not sure how to do that but I'm pretty sure other countries do.

And we can talk about "moving forward" as a country all we want, but that is not going to happen regardless of what happens tomorrow night.  At least not for the next 4 years since both candidates are so reviled by the other side, and probably longer.  

• BSLChrisStoner and Markus like this

#14 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

I found this mildly interesting-

http://www.nytimes.c...sing-times.html

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#15 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,204 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

I found this mildly interesting-

http://www.nytimes.c...sing-times.html

I hope we know early! If HRC wins North Carolina & Florida, I think we will. 

I've always loved election night, I used to make a chart as a kid with all of the states written on them. 

@beginthebegin71

#16 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

I hope we know early! If HRC wins North Carolina & Florida, I think we will. 

I've always loved election night, I used to make a chart as a kid with all of the states written on them. 

In history class during the Gore/Bush election we made electoral predictions and submitted them. I kept track of my vote totals. I was off by something like 2, but the teacher never got around to tabulating and rewarding the winning student. Still bitter. 

• BSLSethBondroff likes this

#17 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:17 PM

So apparently Popovich had this interaction:

CwsDd4YVEAAOuKQ.jpg

Pop for President. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Ricker Says like this

#18 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:49 PM

#StickToSports  ;)

I'm worried enough that I'm voting tomorrow for the first time ever.

#19 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,930 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:52 PM

This is the 1st election in my lifetime when the entire pre-election season transpired with TV refusing to discuss any actual issues.  On  the few occasions when I saw somebody on TV try to enter into a discussion of issues (beyond just naming the issues), the topic was quickly changed.   All the discussion was just about the 2 celebrities candidates, 100% of it.   

It's now 100% so-called "breaking news", soundbites, gossip, and polls.  And analysis thereof. No discussion of issues is permitted.

We can thank what they call "the news cycle" for this.  

• Ricker Says likes this

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#20 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:58 AM

I voted early this year, and it was the easiest thing ever.  I went two Saturdays ago, to the Ellicott City library.  Got there at about 4PM, no line, in and out in about 10 minutes.  I'm going to try to vote early from now on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners